View Full Version : Californians Advocating for Reform of Extreme Sentences for Youth

LunaBella
03-29-2011, 02:03 PM
I wanted to post this here too, since it pertains to juviniles.

Dear Supporter of Fair Sentencing for Youth:

Senate Bill 9 has its first public hearing next Tuesday. Powerful groups that oppose the bill will be there to argue against it. We need YOU join us and show there is strong support! Come to the Capitol and sit with others who are supportive of the bill. You will be welcomed.

This hearing is the first, important step towards getting SB 9 passed.If the bill fails here, it dies. If it passes, it goes to the next step. Ultimately, youth sentenced to life without parole may get a chance to work toward parole. And, California will be one step closer to fair sentencing for all youth.

When: Tuesday, April 5, 2010.
Time: 9:30 a.m.
Where: State Capitol – 4th Floor, John Burton Hearing Room – Room 4203
What: Senate Public Safety Committee Hearing

Please be on time! Our bill is currently listed as the first. Some of us will meet at 9:15 in front of Senator Yee’s office, just down the hall at Room 4074. Join us there if you’d like to hear a few minutes of what to expect before going to the hearing. From 9:30 until the hearing starts, someone will wait by the entrance of the hearing room with a small sign that says “SB 9.” He or she will be able to tell you where supporters are sitting inside.

We would really appreciate having as many supporters as possible attend. If you live within a reasonable distance from the Capitol in Sacramento, please consider coming.

If you want, you’ll have a chance to go to a microphone, state your name and that you support the bill. It is important for legislators to hear our support, because they certainly will hear opposition!

If you can attend the hearing please send an email to ecalvin@hrw.org (http://us.mc839.mail.yahoo.com/mc/compose?to=ecalvin@hrw.org) with the phrase “Planning to attend April 5th” in the subject line so we will know you are coming. If you have questions, let us know and a family member will give you a call.

If you are unable to attend the hearing, please remember to send letters to your Assembly Member and Senator urging them to vote yes on SB 9. Legislators need to get as many support letters as possible. To find out the name of your Assembly Member and Senator go to www.fairsentencingforyouth.org (http://www.fairsentencingforyouth.org/) and click on the “Take Action” tab for a link.

Thank you!
Californians Advocating for Reform of Extreme Sentences for Youth
Families and Friends

bethanna91
03-29-2011, 03:51 PM
I want to know why they don't consider age 18 as part of this bill. 18 year olds may "legally" be adults, but their brains are still not matured either :(

LunaBella
03-29-2011, 06:10 PM
I want to know why they don't consider age 18 as part of this bill. 18 year olds may "legally" be adults, but their brains are still not matured either :(

I don't know sweetie :(