View Full Version : Collect calls and prepaid providers/California phones

msxyz
03-22-2011, 11:48 AM
I am extremly confused on what is the best way for me to receive cheaper calls from my husband. I live in San Jose, California and my husband is in Stanislaus County in Modesto.

GTL prepay is not cheap AT ALL!!!

I am not sure about google voice since they did not have an available number for the modesto calling area.

I am not seeing much info on the inmate call solutions. Please help He has only been there for 3 days and we are $100 plus in debt with collect calls bills. HELP PLEASE!!

His1
03-22-2011, 10:57 PM
I am extremly confused on what is the best way for me to receive cheaper calls from my husband. I live in San Jose, California and my husband is in Stanislaus County in Modesto.

GTL prepay is not cheap AT ALL!!!

I am not sure about google voice since they did not have an available number for the modesto calling area.

I am not seeing much info on the inmate call solutions. Please help He has only been there for 3 days and we are $100 plus in debt with collect calls bills. HELP PLEASE!!
Hi and welcome to PTO
Because I live in Stanislaus County, I know that GTL is the phone company that the Men's jail and The Public Safety Center uses for the inmates calls. You can get an advance pay account, and it won't go over the amount that you put on your phone for your calls. If you would like more info, feel free to PM me.. There's also a thread in the California Forum for The Men's County Jail and The Public Safety Center for any post you would like to leave or questions you may have.

msxyz
05-20-2011, 01:29 PM
I ended up buying a prepaid phone and requested for the 209 area code. My phone calls were a lot more cheaper than using GTL. I bought a verizon phone for 19.99 and added minutes to it. Saved me a whole bunch of money. :D

Moonbeam5150
05-22-2011, 04:43 PM
Can inmates buy phone cards from the commissary? My husbands going to dessert view mccf and I heard calls from there are expensive to accept.

msxyz
05-23-2011, 03:44 PM
They sure can. But I beleive it only in $20.

firkttn
06-02-2011, 01:29 PM
I ended up buying a prepaid phone and requested for the 209 area code. My phone calls were a lot more cheaper than using GTL. I bought a verizon phone for 19.99 and added minutes to it. Saved me a whole bunch of money. :D

:eek: really! How in the world do you recieve collect calls from an inmate institution on a cell phone? Theres no such thing that I know of ever. Please enlighten me My son hasnt had a phone call to me in a couple years this darn phone prices!
Thanks a bunch Karen

sunangel111
06-09-2011, 12:20 PM
Sorry it's taken you so long to hear about this but it was effective 12/17/09. Here's the info (http://www.cdcr.ca.gov/Visitors/docs/GTL_Notices/GTL_English_Notices/GTL_Notice_to_Inmate_Family-Friends_re_Cell_Phone-English_12-2009.pdf).

Also, if your number is local, it will cost $1.45 per 15 min. call and if it's long distance within CA, the cost is $2.03 per 15 min. call. If your LO happens to be in one of those few facilities that are not under the state contract like my husband is in (he's in a CCF), then it will likely be an advance pay account through GTL. The rates can be rediculous since the contracts are negotiated per individual facility. I pay $3.25 for the 1st minute and $0.65 for each additional minute making each 15 min. call $12.75. Add $0.33 surcharge per call and divide the $9 per $50 processing fee each time you add money to the account if you pay by CC instead of mailing it in, then each call is roughly $16.25!

Google voice is the way to go in this case IF you can find a local number AND there is a lower rate for local calls since it costs nothing to set up and nothing to make calls to any number in the U.S...you just have the number forwarded to any number of your choice and it can ring multiple numbers or changed to ring different numbers at any time just by logging in. I managed to get a local number but unfortunately for us, the CCF he's at negotiated a state wide flat rate so it made no difference. I think his facility has the highest rate in the state.
:eek: really! How in the world do you recieve collect calls from an inmate institution on a cell phone? Theres no such thing that I know of ever. Please enlighten me My son hasnt had a phone call to me in a couple years this darn phone prices!
Thanks a bunch Karen

pisces317
06-18-2011, 03:16 PM
Welcome to pto you can either go on the arizona forum or call v-connect@ 1800 913 6097 i think they service most if not all area's,just holla at me or anyone on pto everybody is so nice

~Ariza~
06-18-2011, 03:35 PM
I live in Arizona and he is in California Mens Colony Prison, I need to set up something for him to be able to call my cell phone. I was told to go through inmate call solutions that they will give me a number he calls that will be sent to my cell. They work with GTL, has anyone used them? I have never set anything up this is all new to me. Please help.

Tara

~Ariza~
06-18-2011, 05:41 PM
Thank you so much. Everyone is so nice on here.

determined823
06-18-2011, 09:35 PM
The rules with Global Tel change often and are different in each state, but normally you have to call them to set up an account with a cell phone. They will ask for you to send in a copy of your phone bill, and they have also just started asking for copies of utility bills, cable bills, or leases (something that proves your address).

Global Tel's phone number is 800-231-0193. It is not always easy to get through. Sometimes you have to leave a call back number, and it takes a rep a couple hours to call you back. If you do have to fax your bill to them, the fax number for new accounts is 1-866-262-9123. I am not sure if these numbers are different depending on the state.

Hope things work out for you!

jenn85345
06-21-2011, 06:34 AM
Is he in county jail or prison?

~Ariza~
06-21-2011, 09:55 PM
He is in prison, at CMC.

~Ariza~
06-21-2011, 10:01 PM
Ok here is my update on GTL. I called and they asked where I would be getting the calls from and then my cell number then the rep said I needed to fax over my cell bill and a utility bill, did that. Then she said I needed to contact him to tell him to put me on the allow to call list and thence needed to try and call me so that GTL sees an attempt was made, I said ok and she said it may take awhile and she hung up. I found a site called inmate call solutions, it sounds so easy and they say they are partners with GTL but would I still have to pay GTL too? I don't know I am on a mission to find an easier way and save money. I know I may be wishful thinking huh, Lol.

callmevelma
06-26-2011, 04:45 PM
Ok here is my update on GTL. I called and they asked where I would be getting the calls from and then my cell number then the rep said I needed to fax over my cell bill and a utility bill, did that. Then she said I needed to contact him to tell him to put me on the allow to call list and thence needed to try and call me so that GTL sees an attempt was made, I said ok and she said it may take awhile and she hung up. I found a site called inmate call solutions, it sounds so easy and they say they are partners with GTL but would I still have to pay GTL too? I don't know I am on a mission to find an easier way and save money. I know I may be wishful thinking huh, Lol.

You're right. That's the thing. Because he's at a state prison, you'd still have to pay gtl, no matter what. Does inmate call solutions provide a phone bill? Do they provide a phone bill that gtl would accept? Gtl is pretty fussy. Any other company involvement would take revenue away from them. I've heard of people using magic jack, but I don't know how they dealt with the faxing or email a bill issue.
Wishful thinking...ahhhh. My bank account would be much fuller if it were more than that! lol