View Full Version : How does it work when an inmate is sick or hospitalized?

szcunane
03-17-2011, 02:13 PM
Okay, I don't know anyone related to any one in the system and although my son is currently okay - he does have a couple of medical issues. And I don't know who to ask, or where to find the answer to these questions . . And I am curious about how they handle things . . . So far, at the local level we needed to file a grievance for his meds, but since he is in prison that hasn't been an issue . .but I'm wondering, what happens if an inmate is taken to a hospital - -do they tell you? if it's critical do they let you visit? if they have cancer - do they get treatments?
my son needs oral surgery (wisdom teeth problems)- -how does that work - -do they do it in the prison? what about post op care - - is there any? follow -up visit with a dentist? he asked 7 months ago to see a dentist and it hasn't happened -- does it really take that long? is that time frame normal? what about if your really sick, what is the normal time frame for DR. visits? how do they get tested? what about medical costs? are they covered through medicaid -- or are they a surprise bill when you get out?

I know these are probably crazy questions to ask -- but these are the thoughts this mother thinks about at 3:00 a.m. when she can't sleep!

closer2mydreamz
03-17-2011, 03:22 PM
Okay, I don't know anyone related to any one in the system and although my son is currently okay - he does have a couple of medical issues. And I don't know who to ask, or where to find the answer to these questions . . And I am curious about how they handle things . . . So far, at the local level we needed to file a grievance for his meds, but since he is in prison that hasn't been an issue . .but I'm wondering, what happens if an inmate is taken to a hospital - -do they tell you? if it's critical do they let you visit? if they have cancer - do they get treatments?
my son needs oral surgery (wisdom teeth problems)- -how does that work - -do they do it in the prison? what about post op care - - is there any? follow -up visit with a dentist? he asked 7 months ago to see a dentist and it hasn't happened -- does it really take that long? is that time frame normal? what about if your really sick, what is the normal time frame for DR. visits? how do they get tested? what about medical costs? are they covered through medicaid -- or are they a surprise bill when you get out?

I know these are probably crazy questions to ask -- but these are the thoughts this mother thinks about at 3:00 a.m. when she can't sleep!

Because you are his mother if you call they will be able to provide information to you directly. Each prison has a different process for medical issues, you can check the DOC site for you state or call the priosn to get that process explained to you. You can also inquiring about him being able to go to the dentist. As for as I know in TX, not sure about where you are all inmate's medical cost are covered. Hope that helps you a little bit. Also go to the state forum for the prison your son is in and ask these questions and I am sure someone will come along with answers. Best of luck to you :)

Lonzo's Lady..
03-17-2011, 03:48 PM

Hi Szcunane...My Mom is a retired school teacher and she always said the only crazy questions are the ones you ponder but never ask, so I do not think your questions are crazy at all. Most states in the prison system operate differently but since my husband did time in Texas (TDCJ) I can only answer from that perspective.

what happens if an inmate is taken to a hospital

My husband was seen by the RN at his unit after he wrote a request to see her about some on-going medical concerns. She then put him on a list to see the doctor and he did. The doctor ordered some lab work and the lab tech drew them and sent them out and the doctor came in a few days later with his results.

what happens if an inmate is taken to a hospital - -do they tell you? if it's critical do they let you visit? if they have cancer - do they get treatments?
They did not notify me when my husband was transferred to the hospital; he did contact the hospital Chaplain who called me on his behalf. I could have visited him at the hospital but I never did b/c it's over 4 hours away and they only allow 30 minute visits. My hubby was treated for Colon Cancer Stage II. He had surgery to remove the tumor and another one to install the catheter to deliver the Chemo drugs. He was given 18 rounds of Chemo over a 38 week period. His MEDICAL treatment was very helpful and compassionate; mine as his next of kin was not; it was hard to get even basic info even though he signed the HIPPA papers. :mad: It was also a pain in the a$$ transporting him back and forth to do the chemo until he requested to be moved to another prison closer to the hospital.

I don't know anything about dental care at all. :confused: My hubby WAS really sick; I am also a RN so when he told me his symptoms I knew he needed to see a doctor and I advised him to. I think he put in a request to see a nurse first and saw her the next day. Again the doctor ordered the tests and either a lab tech or a nurse drew the labs and a doctor came to examine him and later came on to discuss the results via Tele-Medicine. My husband was not charged at all. Hope this info helps; hopefully someone from your specific state or prison will see your questions and provide more specific answers. Best Wishes:thumbsup:....Marcia

Vixen311
03-17-2011, 04:00 PM

I know these are probably crazy questions to ask -- but these are the thoughts this mother thinks about at 3:00 a.m. when she can't sleep!my advice would be that in that situation you need to be VERY VOCAL make sure the prison/jail ppl know that YOU KNOW he needs meds. or treatment. that will help some. and yes it does take that long. GOD forbid they get a terminal or possible terminal illness. i know this isn't what you want to hear but it is the truth.best of luck.

Vixen311
03-17-2011, 04:04 PM
here in ohio in the county jail it could take weeks to be seen once you are prescribed meds. it will take 24-48 hrs. to get the script on the med. cart. i know, i was there.

VA PO2
03-17-2011, 08:24 PM

Not crazy at all. VA has basic medical care at all units and can provide and monitor meds for routine problems. There are several major institutions that have full medical units for guys with more serious medical issues. And DOC maintains a ward at MCV Hospital in Richmond for major medical problems and scheduled surgery. Of course, for any sudden serious illness such as a heart attack, the guy will be transported to the nearest hospital. VA has unfortunately quite a few guys being treated for very serious illnesses, including cancer and dialysis. Now dental care is not covered to the same extent, although there are some dentists that work with DOC. Oral surgery probably would not be scheduled unless it was deemed immediately necessary. As for the $, you will not be billed for medical treatment your son receives while incarcerated. I think they having been charging a small fee (I think $5) for doctor visits, which comes off the books. But I may be wrong on that, seem to have heard it in passing at one of the prisons. Anyone with significant medical issues would not be sent to the field units or work camps, which do not have the same level of medical care as the major institutions. Part of classification is a medical exam and classification, which determines which prisons will meet his medical needs.

dwfighterva
03-28-2011, 05:57 PM
Awesome job explaining PO! Let me just add a few details.

They may not let you know if they go to a hospital and he may or may not be able to make calls once there. Stinks but that is how it is. Some guys can have visits and some can't. Have no clue on the rhyme or reason on how or why.

They can be taken into an infirmary if they need more intensive care. Deerfield is geriatric but also has a lot of guys in wheelchairs and other disabilities or medical issues. Dental won't be done unless it is a serious issue like an infected impacted tooth. No level 1 camps have a nurse so anyone with diabetes or anything else that needs monitoring will push their security level to a Level 2 so they can be at a bigger unit.

$5 for each doctor visit and also for prescription refills. He can go get his meds at different times during the day and they will hand them out. If he has no money on his account they won't hold his meds, they will give them. But, as soon as he has any money on his account, they will take it for his meds.