View Full Version : If no parole, does he have to do 85%.

mavava
03-17-2011, 09:15 AM
Far as I know there is no more parole after 1995. in Virgina state. That means you have to do full time unless governor approve clemency. Do I missing something? Can inmate be paroled, still?

Thanks

Onedaycloser13
03-17-2011, 09:21 AM
Parole is no longer in affect if you were convicted after 1995. If someone was convicted before then and still in prison than they go by the old rules and have to go by the parole guidelines. If convicted after 1995, then the inmate has to serve at least 85% of their time. That means that as long as they stay out of trouble, go to classes, and does whatever DOC requires of them they can have good time deducted from their sentences. Which works out to be while in the DOC 4.5 days per 30 days served.

VA PO2
03-17-2011, 09:08 PM
There is also another, fairly large group of folks who are still were parole eligible for crimes committed after 7/1/95. Those are people convicted as multiple misdemeanants. Parole was not abolished for anyone convicted of more than 1 misdemeanor and sentenced to at least 12 months and 1 day. When parole was abolished, the General Assembly either chose not to abolish for the multiple misdemeanants - or forgot about them.

waiting415years
04-18-2011, 12:41 PM
Is this true? I heard that with the DOC having money trouble, they are going back the old 65% law. Has anyone else heard this?

VA PO2
04-19-2011, 08:08 PM
No truth to that rumor. DOC does not set sentencing, the General Assembly does. Any change in current status would require a change in state law. Also, no particular DOC money troubles. DOC is a state agency and the current state budget has a surplus. Also, state making additional $ by housing inmates for other states. So if not under old law, will have to serve 85% of sentence.

Onedaycloser13
04-20-2011, 07:02 AM
This rumor rears it's ugly head at least once a year. I heard the CO's even were saying it. I doubt that it will go through, if brought forward, in the near future in VA.

VA PO2
04-21-2011, 10:08 PM
Sorry, I made a typo. If under new law will serve 85% of sentence and be discharged. If under old law will go out on a discretionary or mandatory parole. But is you are old law and have been out on mandatory parole and had that revoked, you will either get a discretionary parole or discharge your sentence. BUT (and there is always an exception) if you had a mandatory parole revoked, but also had a probation violation where more old law time was revoked, you can get a another mandatory parole off that revocation sentence. I know, it can get confusing and complicated.

mina4
07-17-2011, 12:56 AM
Can some one tell me ...or help what would be 85% of 15 years be...

Onedaycloser13
07-17-2011, 07:36 AM
Can some one tell me ...or help what would be 85% of 15 years be...

It is kind of hard to answer this, because his jail time is not counted like DOC time. So jail time, the date he went in to jail until the day he gets his DOC number is 2.25 days for every 30 days, if the inmate was on good behavior. As soon as he receives his DOC number the days start counting as 4.5 days for every 30 days served. That is how the DOC figures the basic time. Now if he/she gets into any trouble or doesn't attend classes or the handful of other things that could make them lose time, all that is out the door and they will start subtracting time, if not take it all.

szcunane
07-27-2011, 11:42 AM
This is all something I don't quite understand . .my son was sentenced to twenty years. (in 2010) - -online, when I pull up his info it has a 2017 date - - so when they post the release date, have they already calculated the "good time"?
does that change yearly?

dwfighterva
07-28-2011, 09:10 PM
Yes they usually calculate the good time into the release date they post online. The only way it will change is if they lose some of it. Was his sentence in pieces? Like if he got 10 years for one charge, 5 for another, etc., it is possible they only recorded one of his sentences.