View Full Version : How long does it take to get designated after sentencing?

erinsdad
03-14-2011, 01:59 PM
I was wondering if any of you would be willing to share with me how long it took after senetncing for your son or daughter to moved to the facility that they were going to be serving their sentence? My daughter was senetnced on 2/28/11. She is a minimum risk inmate and still has not been transfered to a minimum risk facility. She is really having a tough time dealing with being in prison. Any suggestions on what to say to her when she calls would also be appreciated.

MamaB58
03-14-2011, 02:08 PM
If she is in Idaho, you might want to post there. Im not sure if all states are different, but they may be. My son is in Texas and it generally takes 3-4 wks for them to be classified and moved. If she is through with her intake process, then she should be moving fairly soon. Tell her to hang in there, this is another hurdle she must pass and when she does, its another one she can mark off.

erinsdad
03-14-2011, 02:16 PM
MammaB58 - She is a Federal prisoner and is in the San Diego Correctional facility. Thus, she is a 1,000 miles away from us and we've only been able to see her once since 12/20/10. Thanks for your kind words of encouragement. I have told her to hang in there but she sounds so down to me when I talk with her on the phone. It's tough not being able to wrap my arms around her and tell her everything will be okay.

If she is in Idaho, you might want to post there. Im not sure if all states are different, but they may be. My son is in Texas and it generally takes 3-4 wks for them to be classified and moved. If she is through with her intake process, then she should be moving fairly soon. Tell her to hang in there, this is another hurdle she must pass and when she does, its another one she can mark off.

meg'smom
03-14-2011, 03:11 PM
You could try posting in the federal forum tooo. Each state is different and i am sorry i dont know how federal works since i deal with the state prisons. It takes a while sometime for our kids to get adjusted to prison. It took my girls several months and i am not sure they ever actually get to a point of acceptance. Keep encouraging her and writing. Mail keeps them going. even if you dont have words to write a letter just pop and card in the mail to her just so she knows you are thinking about her.

jancy
03-14-2011, 04:36 PM
my son was not in federal but in most state prisons they get to a "home" prison in about 4 to 6 weeks. my son went to an intake prison on our side of the state, followed by a reception prison that all inmates in our state go to for classification and processing, then to a home prison.

sounds like if your daughter was already classified, she is ready to for assignment to her home facility. I believe that Federal prisons send minimum risk inmates to Prison Camps. I read this online "federal prison camps have a relatively low staff-to-inmate ratio, dormitory-style accommodations and little to no fencing. In fact, inmates could walk away from these camps. Few do, however, because recaptured inmates face severe consequences."

I know it is really hard for all parents when their kids call and are so upset. It has to be very painful for you as a dad, because men are supposed to protect their women and "DO" something active to help. In this case, I would pray with her quietly over the phone. Ask her to be still and lower your voice a bit, say something like this:

Honey, I will never leave you or forsake you. I will be here for you to listen to you, I will keep you in prayer at all times. Although I cannot personally be at your side as you go thru this I know someone who can and I am going to ask Him right now to be your Father alongside me thru this time. God, please help our daughter, comfort her, strengthen her spirit, and make her feel your presence. Please send your angels to stand guard as she sleeps, send kind inmates to share her cell, and send her brother Jesus to walk alongside her. Thank you, God, I know you have placed me in a most important position by giving this wonderful daughter to me. I now entrust her to your loving and tender care.

Verytiredmom
03-14-2011, 04:44 PM
Hi Erinsdad,
I am like Megsmom. I deal with the state of Ohio. It took 3 weeks before he went to the prison where they evaluate them and assign them a home prison. Then it was several more weeks before he was moved. In Ohio, it depends on how full the prison is and when they have a van to move them in. Sorry, I can't be more help. I will add you and your daughter to my prayers!

Reynne

jancy
03-14-2011, 04:58 PM
BY the way, dad, here is the link to the Federal Prisontalk. Looks like there is a lot of info in there and you can post or PM one of the moderators for more specific help:
http://www.prisontalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=186

Be sure to check in with the parents here still, though...we need a few good men!

Joshua's Mom
03-14-2011, 07:12 PM
My son is in the federal system, he is in a camp. They picked him up from county about 2 1/2 weeks after he was sentenced. It was a little over a week after that before he got to his designated prison. He was flown from Missouri to Oklahoma to a county jail for a few days, and then he was flown to Atlanta, and then finally ended up in Kentucky. They give no notice of when they are going to pick them up. It's usually around 3:00 a.m My son had given his celly my phone number so he could call me and let me know they had picked him up. Hope that helps some.

erinsdad
03-14-2011, 07:51 PM
Yes, your post does help. I was aware that they transfered them late at night or early morning hours. Hopefully, they'll move my daughter soon because she shold be in a camp. Thanks for your info. Hope Josh is doing well and will out soon.

My son is in the federal system, he is in a camp. They picked him up from county about 2 1/2 weeks after he was sentenced. It was a little over a week after that before he got to his designated prison. He was flown from Missouri to Oklahoma to a county jail for a few days, and then he was flown to Atlanta, and then finally ended up in Kentucky. They give no notice of when they are going to pick them up. It's usually around 3:00 a.m My son had given his celly my phone number so he could call me and let me know they had picked him up. Hope that helps some.

bumblebee37
03-14-2011, 08:33 PM
I can't remember how long it took for my son to catch chain because it was so long ago. They also sent my son into Oklahoma for evaluation and after that he was sent to a USP in Pennsylvania. They lead you to believe that your loved one will remain in your region but that didn't happen for us and its been over 13 years.
Tell your daughter when she gets where she is going to do every program that is offered to her so she can level down in points.
I just wanted to say that I have been reading your threads and posts. It saddens me that you are hurting so bad but it brightened my day to know a man loves his little girl so much.
:welcome: To PTO!
bb

erinsdad
03-14-2011, 08:42 PM
Bumblebee37 - I have a picture of my daughter on my desk that my daughter gave to me many years ago. Below the picture, etched on the frame is the inscription "Daddy's Girl". This is how my daughter views me and it is also how I view her. I don't have sons so my two daughters are very special to me. I would have liked to have a son but I wouldn't have traded eirther of my girls for a boy. Thank you for your kind words.

I can't remember how long it took for my son to catch chain because it was so long ago. They also sent my son into Oklahoma for evaluation and after that he was sent to a USP in Pennsylvania. They lead you to believe that your loved one will remain in your region but that didn't happen for us and its been over 13 years.
Tell your daughter when she gets where she is going to do every program that is offered to her so she can level down in points.
I just wanted to say that I have been reading your threads and posts. It saddens me that you are hurting so bad but it brightened my day to know a man loves his little girl so much.
:welcome: To PTO!
bb

Missymama
03-15-2011, 12:01 AM
I am so delighted that the federal parents have found eachother....sitting here tonight and have "caught wind" (texas talk for heard the rumor) that my daughter is catching train tonight....this is second go around. I am trying to remember how long it was before I found where she was last time, and also trying to remember how to set up jpay to send her commissary money. I should have an answer in just about two days....and for the gals, it is much shorter---they go to huntsville for check in, and then on to home site.

Alabasterbox
03-15-2011, 12:34 AM
I know how u feel my daughter was in prison too and it can make your day drained ,but just know the road will get wider and God is there to see you both through tell her to trust in God and keep him next to her ,it's not as bad as people say it is she will be fine. do a lot of research and tell her the do's and dont's inprison the woman prison is not as bad as the men.may God carry you through this jorney

Alabasterbox
03-15-2011, 01:15 AM
was wondering did you get my post on vspw

szcunane
03-22-2011, 01:04 PM
Hi erin's dad . .

just like everyone else, I'm not sure - -but I have heard that it is supposed to be done within 60 days - - and that they usually go to a "processing" facility where they are tested, get physicals, etc. and then go to their assigned prison. But I think I'm learning that each situation is different. When she is moved they won't tell you that they moved her or where she is -- so make sure to check "inmate locator" on line every day so you will know when she is moved and where she is. My husband didn't know about that site and when our son was moved he was sick with worry (our son had been suicidal and in solitary confinement) - -he had called us on a Sunday, and said he was mailing us a letter (in his 8 months in jail he had never sent a letter) - -so when my husband called to arrange a visit they wouldn't give him any info - -anyway I heard about the site and I went upstairs and found out where he was. So, keep checking that. as for helping your daughter, make sure she has money on canteen (oh, don't put too much on if you think she is going to be moved - -we had just put money on canteen the day before he was moved and they won't give it back to us). send cards, set up a phone account . . .and stay connected here - -these PWCIP people are pretty wise about giving advise. Always remember to assure your daughter that she is loved and has a home to come to. How long did she get? I will pray that she is moved to a facility that she is safe and can find other inmates to guide her and encourage her through the tough days

bumblebee37
03-22-2011, 06:38 PM
I was just wondering if your daughter has been picked up for transfer yet... :cuffs:

Mz.Bmovinon
03-23-2011, 02:45 AM
It took them about a week to get sent out, but the thing is they don't let you know what day that they are being sent. They like to leave that in limbo so that you or no one tries to break them out, because people do think about that. I was wondering if any of you would be willing to share with me how long it took after senetncing for your son or daughter to moved to the facility that they were going to be serving their sentence? My daughter was senetnced on 2/28/11. She is a minimum risk inmate and still has not been transfered to a minimum risk facility. She is really having a tough time dealing with being in prison. Any suggestions on what to say to her when she calls would also be appreciated.

CherylW
03-23-2011, 03:59 AM
I was told my son would be in the reception center 30-60 days, then 30-90 days before being transferred to his "home" prison. He is still waiting, he's been in the reception center 111 days. He is getting very impatient as he wants to start some of the programs, & in the reception center they have nothing to do.

Cheryl

erinsdad
03-23-2011, 01:08 PM
Hi szcunane - Thanks for the reply and good advice. I just found out that my daughter was moved last night from San Diego to California City. Both San Diego and California City are privately owned and operated facilities owned by CCA. They opearte these and other facilities to house Federal inmates ans also US Marshal Service inmates. I have seen very few posts on PTO about the conditions at the CCA facilities. We are still hoping that she will end up at the Dublin, CA prison caamp as it is the closest Federal facility to Boise. We are so anxious for that first contact visit! It has been tough not to be able to hug our "little girl". I'm sure all that post to this site can relate to that emotion.

erinsdad

Hi erin's dad . .

just like everyone else, I'm not sure - -but I have heard that it is supposed to be done within 60 days - - and that they usually go to a "processing" facility where they are tested, get physicals, etc. and then go to their assigned prison. But I think I'm learning that each situation is different. When she is moved they won't tell you that they moved her or where she is -- so make sure to check "inmate locator" on line every day so you will know when she is moved and where she is. My husband didn't know about that site and when our son was moved he was sick with worry (our son had been suicidal and in solitary confinement) - -he had called us on a Sunday, and said he was mailing us a letter (in his 8 months in jail he had never sent a letter) - -so when my husband called to arrange a visit they wouldn't give him any info - -anyway I heard about the site and I went upstairs and found out where he was. So, keep checking that. as for helping your daughter, make sure she has money on canteen (oh, don't put too much on if you think she is going to be moved - -we had just put money on canteen the day before he was moved and they won't give it back to us). send cards, set up a phone account . . .and stay connected here - -these PWCIP people are pretty wise about giving advise. Always remember to assure your daughter that she is loved and has a home to come to. How long did she get? I will pray that she is moved to a facility that she is safe and can find other inmates to guide her and encourage her through the tough days

bumblebee37
03-23-2011, 01:19 PM
Well you have to be relieved that she is being transported to her home prison somewhere. It will be much better for her as they will give her things to do to keep her and her mind occupied. Bless her heart, I'd go nuts setting in a cell wondering when the hell they were going to take me...
I don't know anything about CCA or I'd sure tell you. I do know about Bureau of Prisons, USP's, and being moved thousands of miles from home and can give you all the 411 you need on that. :(
My thoughts and prayers will be with you that she remains close to home.
bb

erinsdad
03-23-2011, 01:31 PM
Hi Bumblebee - Thanks for asking. My daughter was transferred last night from San Diego to California City. My wife and I are hoping for a very short stay at California City and hopefully then on to Dublin, CA. The conditions at the CCA run prisons are much more harsh than would be the case at a prison camp. We have been in touch with another lady from our area that did 2 years at Dublin. She was a gerat help in letting us know what living conditions our daughter would face if she was designated to Dublin. Our daughter should be at a prison camp since she is a first time offender and her conviction was for a non-violent white collar crime. We hope that happens soon because Dublin is much closer to us than where she is at currently.

erinsdad
I was just wondering if your daughter has been picked up for transfer yet... :cuffs: