View Full Version : DRDC phone info

kenber
03-10-2011, 09:32 PM
My fiance was transferred to DRDC today and from my understanding he'll be there a couple of weeks. How do I get my phone set up so he can call me? I only have a cell phone, will that be a problem? Is there a number to call to put money on my cell phone like when he was in county jail? Thanks for your help!

seansbabyluv
03-11-2011, 01:35 AM
Welcome to PTO. Please try using the search function on the toolbar within the Colorado forum for questions about DRDC. They have been asked and answered numerous times.

For all calls, your loved one has to submit a phone list for approval. He will only be able to call the approved numbers on the list. Prepaid or collect, cell phones are fine as long as the billing info matches the service address and name on the account.

There is nothing you can do on your end to expedite this and it can take 3 - 4 weeks for him to get his phone list approved.

He can order prepaid phone time on his canteen which is 50% less than using myvconnect.com. I only use that if there's an emergency. Pre-paid calls are $3.85 each for 20 minutes.

It will take a while for his inmate money to transfer from county to DOC so once he's been assigned a DOC#, you'll be able to put money on his books for canteen. Every facility has a different ordering day and phone time is put on different days as well. You'll have to wait to hear from him to find out the ordering day or maybe someone can post what it is. DRDC rarely answers the phone so it's very difficult to get information from them.

kenber
03-11-2011, 08:41 AM
Thank you, my cell is on a family plan so the mailing address is going to cause a problem. guess i might need to get a landline. Also, if I put money on his books does it work like county where he could have a negative balance because of booking/meds/etc or will it really all go to him?

seansbabyluv
03-11-2011, 12:07 PM
Thank you, my cell is on a family plan so the mailing address is going to cause a problem. guess i might need to get a landline. Also, if I put money on his books does it work like county where he could have a negative balance because of booking/meds/etc or will it really all go to him?

They take 20% off the top to pay his restitution and child support. There's an annual fee of $5 to pay for medical even if he doesn't use it, everyone pays it. They pay $5 every time they go to the doctor or dentist. If he puts down the name of the person who has the family plan on his phone list, then there won't be a problem with your cell phone.

There won't be a negative balance on his account as long as you take into account the 20%. My husband gets by on $50 every other Friday, he uses it mostly for phone time, stamps, envelopes and paper.

kenber
03-11-2011, 07:37 PM
thank you very much for your help, you've been great!

leighmarker
06-28-2011, 09:56 AM
anyone know if the inmate using prepaid phone time cost more if you are out of state? I have setup a google voice so he can call-only because it makes it a local call (when he was in county) calling long distance (my cell number) cost 50 bucks every two phone calls.
Wonder what they do with all this profit they are making on markups on EVERYTHING.

seansbabyluv
06-28-2011, 07:24 PM
anyone know if the inmate using prepaid phone time cost more if you are out of state? I have setup a google voice so he can call-only because it makes it a local call (when he was in county) calling long distance (my cell number) cost 50 bucks every two phone calls.
Wonder what they do with all this profit they are making on markups on EVERYTHING.

I think the out of state calls are $4.35 per 20 minutes or close to that. Kind of disproportionate when those of in state pay 50 cents less than those out of state. The only difference is the connection fee, the price per minute is the same.

What do they do with the profit? Good question, but it makes the taxpayers happy to think the families are the ones getting screwed. Look at this way, those of us in state pay state taxes so we are being double taxed.

leighmarker
06-29-2011, 09:03 AM
guess I should be glad I am in TX, no state tax....seems like they just add it somewhere else.
When he was in county the phone calls to my cell were very $$$ but when we used the google voice (forward to my cell) it was more than 1/2