View Full Version : The cheapest way to receive calls?

triplejs
02-24-2011, 08:03 PM
My son has now progressed to minimum and can make as many calls as he wants but they are so expensive with GTL.

He is at a camp that is long distance for us so we pay both GTL and the long distance rate.

What's the cheapest way to get calls from him?

I have a cell phone (Verizon) and my landline is AT&T.

Can they call a cell phone in NC? Can calls be forwarded without getting into trouble?

Please help!

tonys_gurl1110
02-24-2011, 08:38 PM
My son has now progressed to minimum and can make as many calls as he wants but they are so expensive with GTL.

He is at a camp that is long distance for us so we pay both GTL and the long distance rate.

What's the cheapest way to get calls from him?

I have a cell phone (Verizon) and my landline is AT&T.

Can they call a cell phone in NC? Can calls be forwarded without getting into trouble?

Please help!
The best thing to do is to get a number that is local to the prison. Prior to tuesday, Googlevoice was working great. It was a free number that the inmate could call and it would ring to my cell. But now I, along with other googlevoice users, have been having problems with googlevoice. I have gotten a skype number now. It wasn't free but it appears to be reliable. What prison is your son at? Maybe you could get another line added to ur cell or maybe get a prepaid cell with a number thats closer to the prison

Nice'sWife
02-25-2011, 03:48 AM
My husband is also in NC and I just called my cell phone company AT&T and told them I moved and needed a new number. I gave them the zip code that the prison is in and using GTL our 10 min calls are now .85 per call!

tonys_gurl1110
02-25-2011, 08:39 AM
My husband is also in NC and I just called my cell phone company AT&T and told them I moved and needed a new number. I gave them the zip code that the prison is in and using GTL our 10 min calls are now .85 per call!
Do you change your number everytime he moves? I will start using skype today and will let you know how that works out.

kmwhaley
02-25-2011, 09:46 AM
The best thing to do is to get a number that is local to the prison. Prior to tuesday, Googlevoice was working great. It was a free number that the inmate could call and it would ring to my cell. But now I, along with other googlevoice users, have been having problems with googlevoice. I have gotten a skype number now. It wasn't free but it appears to be reliable. What prison is your son at? Maybe you could get another line added to ur cell or maybe get a prepaid cell with a number thats closer to the prison

Okay so i'm glad i'm not the only one thats been having problems with GV everytime he calls it cuts me off immeditaly! I dont like it at all. What is going on???

i had to convert back to my phone power account. Not cool at all, i was enjoying hte free GV service.

kmwhaley
02-25-2011, 10:15 AM

Any idea what exactly is going on with GV? Every time he calls it immediately gets cut right off. Its only with imate calls tho???

L'sLeadingLady
02-25-2011, 11:17 AM
Wow! I thought my Hubby and I were the only one's having the Google Voice issues. I was enjoying that, too. I have Verizon wireless so I ended up having to call them and tell them that I needed to change my cell number and I changed it to a number that is local for him. So, we are still getting our calls at $.85 a call. But I miss GV.

ssscorpio
02-25-2011, 03:20 PM
Do you change your number everytime he moves? I will start using skype today and will let you know how that works out.

Please let us know. And if it works how?

tonys_gurl1110
02-25-2011, 05:51 PM
Ok Guys, so I got some info from another member on here regarding skype and they said that it works just fine for them. I went to skype on my computer and got an "online number". However the online number is $18 for 3 months. :( Now, its not like google voice in which there is no call forwarding. The Catch? Well for me I have an iPhone so I have the skype app downloaded so when my baby calls the online number it rings on my cell through the app as long as I am online. I am still trying to figure it out bc it will work over wi-fi or/and 3g. It seems as if I have to be still though while Im talking to him:confused: But I'm still in my "trial" period of trying to work through all the kinks. So if u have a smartphone with apps, download skype and try the online number if you can spare the $18. Good Luck

roysprincess
02-25-2011, 07:24 PM
I re-activated my conscallhome account...So much for free :rolleyes:

Pretty Toes
02-28-2011, 02:22 PM
I use phone power Not free but reliable.

mrscampbell
02-28-2011, 06:54 PM
what is phone power?

snowbunnietx
02-28-2011, 07:51 PM
Ive been having having the smae problem with GV, I was told that cons call home is so much cheaper. And ideas?

kmwhaley
03-06-2011, 09:17 AM
Phone power is kinda like vonage... its a voip service and you can get a local number to where they are at. It cost about 18 a month after taxes but it is very reliable. And you can forward your calls to your cell or whatever when you are away from home. Mine just constantly stays forwarded to my cell because its just easier for me that way. Unfortantly they put my hubs in the middle of NOOOO WHERE this time so the closes number i could get was 25 mins away. Our calls are still only 1.05 a call though but i've had it as low as 85 cent a call. Changing your cell number is great but i was told through GTL that there is a connect fee when calling a cell phone that there isn't when you call a house phone. I was wondering why my money was draining quick when my calls were so cheap. So like i said i just stick with Phone power now... Cost but Very reliable!

mb_nccure
03-10-2011, 04:45 PM
I heard through the DOC grapevine, that they are looking into at least within the next year or two to go to PHONE cards for the inmates because families are complaining of the high cost of the phone calls, which am sure doing this DOC will still be making money because they already make money off the inmate phone calls (kickback money)

nc_notary
03-23-2011, 10:10 AM
I'm using magicjack and then forwarding the calls to my cell. Looking into getting a local number for magicjack. That would be awesome, .85 calls! $50.00 per month would go a loooooong way! Thanks for the info y'all, that'll save on stamps too, $30.00 per month on them!