View Full Version : New KY prison laws/Early release?/HB 463--UPDATE

24jeffg
02-14-2011, 07:15 PM
im trying to find out about the new early release for prisoners in ky, something about over crowding. ny nephew is in northpoint training center and hes thinking he might get out this july or august, just looking for some info , thank you

deonsgirl
02-14-2011, 08:18 PM
My man heard the same rumors but so far nothing has changed.

patchouli
02-14-2011, 08:29 PM
HB564 was passed last April and increases good time for completed programs longer than 6 months to 90 days (and other changes). You can read through it HERE (http://www.prisontalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=476088)

Hello & welcome to PTO & the Kentucky forum :)

billybeth2010
02-16-2011, 07:22 AM
I think what we are looking for is info on the legislation that was just voted on. The deadline was set for 2/14/2011 and was looking for approval of 60 days to be taken off and push up parole hearings/releases. So far, I have not found any info as to whether it has been approved or not.

patchouli
02-16-2011, 07:40 AM
Do you have a HB or SB number? Here is a link where you can follow both the Senate and the House, Bills in Committee etc:

http://www.lrc.ky.gov/record/11RS/record.htm

If I get time this afternoon/tomorrow, I'll go thru them. In the meantime, if you find anything, please let us know!!

thugwife
02-16-2011, 03:42 PM
I know one of them is HB 463

patchouli
02-16-2011, 04:29 PM
That one is 135 pages long and will probably go thru revisions as it goes through the House. Click on HB463 in the following link to see the entire PDF:

http://www.lrc.ky.gov/record/11RS/HB463.htm

thugwife
02-16-2011, 04:34 PM
I dont know how to navigate the thing, it gives me a headache. I have no idea why I even care anymore, there aint a damn thing that has helped my man, he has 2 years to serve out, I think I might as well give up.

hiswifey1991
02-16-2011, 05:47 PM
My fiancee also heard rumors about it said something about as lng as they had no new cases after a certain date but im not sure i might be talkin bout a completely different rumor but i think its the same one

patchouli
02-16-2011, 08:16 PM
I dont know how to navigate the thing, it gives me a headache. I have no idea why I even care anymore, there aint a damn thing that has helped my man, he has 2 years to serve out, I think I might as well give up.

Damnit thug...don't you even think about giving up now! I've got faith in your ability to stay strong for T. If he has to serve out, so be it....it'll beat the hell out of being on parole and at this point it may even be his best option depending on how long they'll make him do parole. You've made it this far.....the end is in site.

deonsgirl
02-17-2011, 08:05 PM
I agree Thug, don't give up now. My man chose to serve out and I am so glad he will not be on paper!!!

deonsgirl
02-26-2011, 09:10 AM
The man ask me to look up this bill. I'm even more confused now! Patch, help?!!!!

patchouli
02-26-2011, 09:16 AM
It has not been signed into law and may very well have more revisions before being accepted, if it even passes and is signed into law. I have not read the entire bill as of yet.....sorta waiting for the final version.

deonsgirl
02-27-2011, 11:14 AM
Thanks Patch, keep me posted!

patchouli
02-27-2011, 12:00 PM
It goes before the full Senate tomorrow....if passed it just waits for the Governor to sign it into law.

patchouli
03-01-2011, 02:55 PM
HB 463 has been passed:

Kentucky Senate passes corrections reform bill (http://www.courier-journal.com/article/20110228/NEWS0101/302280114/-1/ZONE01/Kentucky-Senate-passes-corrections-reform-bill?odyssey=nav|head)

FRANKFORT, Ky. A bill hailed as a landmark effort to reform Kentucky's corrections system while reigning in soaring costs is on its way to Gov. Steve Beshear after winning unanimous approval Monday in the Senate.

Lawmakers say House Bill 463 will cut the state's prison costs by about $42 million a year, make offenders more accountable and give many Kentuckians addicted to drugs a chance to turn their troubled lives around.

I haven't read the entire 135 pages....:o

billybeth2010
03-01-2011, 03:29 PM
Offenders with more than 90 days left on their sentance will be reviewed 60 days prior to their parole eligibility date. Not sure about the good time and education credit...talk is it will come off the front of the time...

thugwife
03-01-2011, 03:33 PM
HB 463 has been passed:

Kentucky Senate passes corrections reform bill (http://www.courier-journal.com/article/20110228/NEWS0101/302280114/-1/ZONE01/Kentucky-Senate-passes-corrections-reform-bill?odyssey=nav%7Chead)

FRANKFORT, Ky. A bill hailed as a landmark effort to reform Kentucky's corrections system while reigning in soaring costs is on its way to Gov. Steve Beshear after winning unanimous approval Monday in the Senate.

Lawmakers say House Bill 463 will cut the state's prison costs by about $42 million a year, make offenders more accountable and give many Kentuckians addicted to drugs a chance to turn their troubled lives around.

I haven't read the entire 135 pages....:o

Can you post the link where I can read the whole thing? I cant ever make heads or tails over that crap on the senate page.

I know it wont help me, but Id like to see it.

deonsgirl
03-01-2011, 04:21 PM
Does anyone know if this effects those that are serving out? I'm going to try to read the whole thing tonight.

thugwife
03-01-2011, 04:52 PM
Does anyone know if this effects those that are serving out? I'm going to try to read the whole thing tonight.

It wont be retroactive Deons, if it was my man would serve out totally and they would OWE him years in compensation :)

So far it goes to the new prisoners, depending on what date it will start. The problem aint with the new inmates, its with the older guys that have done REAL TIME, these new guys wont learn a lesson if they dont get to experience what its like behind the gates (my opinion only)

The problem lies with guys that are doing SERIOUS time for crimes, my man has drug cases and he got 25 years, he has done almost 14 on it already.

You cant expect someone to learn a lesson if they havent slept in a prison cell for a single night.

Just my thoughts though.

BTW your man gets out in July 2011, let him serve out, he dont need anything that will help him. I wish my man could SERVE OUT in July. I would be tickled to death. ;)

deonsgirl
03-01-2011, 05:08 PM
BTW your man gets out in July 2011, let him serve out, he dont need anything that will help him. I wish my man could SERVE OUT in July. I would be tickled to death. ;)[/quote]

I do want him to serve out and not deal with the hassle of being on paper. I know I'm being greedy and selfish when so many others are not due to get out for a long time. I'm just ready for him to come home! :D

patchouli
03-01-2011, 05:49 PM
thug, the link is in one of my posts in this thread.....once its signed by the Governor, I'll put up a "sticky" thread in this forum.

xrayofthelight
03-09-2011, 04:20 PM
This is what i have found..
http://www.lex18.com/news/beshear-signs-corrections-reform-bill-into-law
Done by a lexington news crew. My husband's charges that are nothing to do with drugs but our laywer says it will go well for our shock because of this LAW. :)

xrayofthelight
03-09-2011, 05:13 PM
thug, the link is in one of my posts in this thread.....once its signed by the Governor, I'll put up a "sticky" thread in this forum.

Its signed!! :D :D Brashears signed it Thursday, March 3rd. :)

patchouli
03-09-2011, 08:47 PM
Yes it did! Yea :D I posted a link to the .gov announcement in KY News & Events. I still haven't read all of it, but one section said that they were lowering the max for possession from 5 yrs to 3 :rolleyes:. I'm skeptical that the bill will really help a whole lot....but like I said I haven't read it yet. :)

jesse's_wife09
06-11-2011, 11:40 PM
I was wondering if the new reform law 463 will affect my husbands sentence, he was put in jail april 17th of this year and his final sentence was May 13th sentenced to 7 years consec for 2 non-violent felonies of which one was just for a probation violation because of the new crime. can i hope for any luck that he may get out soone than his parole date of sept.2012 under the new reform law???:confused:

thugwife
06-12-2011, 09:02 AM
I was wondering if the new reform law 463 will affect my husbands sentence, he was put in jail april 17th of this year and his final sentence was May 13th sentenced to 7 years consec for 2 non-violent felonies of which one was just for a probation violation because of the new crime. can i hope for any luck that he may get out soone than his parole date of sept.2012 under the new reform law???:confused:

If he dont go up for parole until 2012 then it probably wont help him. If he got a charge while on parole/probation thats why hes sitting there.

And just to add, just because he sees parole dont mean he will get out.

kygrandma
06-13-2011, 05:13 PM
I am curious to know if any other bills have passed since this one. I heard something about a bill on Class D and Class C offenders being released or having a possibility of being released. I am not in there yet (Aug 2011 sentence date) Female, I'm a Class C, first offense, no priors. Was convicted for receiving stolen 7 year sentence by jury. Does or is there anything I can do at sentencing that may sway the judge not to exercise the total sentence time or ask for anything? I need help. Thank you. Any and all information will be helpful. Thank you.

kygrandma
06-13-2011, 05:16 PM
Hi, I notice Travis is up for Parole hearing in two days. I just want to let you know I am praying for you and he/your family. I am sending on my prayers your way in hopes that the Parole board will make the favorable decision in your behalf. Blessings, Lisa & Family

If he dont go up for parole until 2012 then it probably wont help him. If he got a charge while on parole/probation thats why hes sitting there.

And just to add, just because he sees parole dont mean he will get out.

patchouli
06-13-2011, 07:24 PM
I am curious to know if any other bills have passed since this one.

Sorry sweetie, this is the newest bill to be signed into law. You will be eligible for paorle after serving 20 % for a Class C offense.

jesse's_wife09
06-16-2011, 08:08 PM
im trying to find out about the new early release for prisoners in ky, something about over crowding. ny nephew is in northpoint training center and hes thinking he might get out this july or august, just looking for some info , thank you

Hi I am looking for an answer to that question also mainly about the new law 463. My husband was sentenced to 4 years for probation violation and 3 years for a second felony. Becus he took a pela agreement on the second felony both crimes were supposedly reduced to non-violent felonies. My question is when will he actually be able to get out , he is still hosued in the county jail serving 3 and 4 consec with aparole eligibility date of sept 2012 and a serve out date of june of 2016. this really scares me he will not make it in a jail sourrounding that long he is a kind and sweet person and the death threats r hurting him emotionally and yet he can not access any counseling becus he has no insurance. Can anyone give me some sort of time frame of what he may have to serve and would it be possible even tho he has been sentenced, to request the judge give him a bond since he is serving on his probation violation first? My husband tells me he is serving 3 years and 4 on paper i do not understand what that means?:mad:

jesse's_wife09
06-16-2011, 08:10 PM
Sorry sweetie, this is the newest bill to be signed into law. You will be eligible for paorle after serving 20 % for a Class C offense.

what is the percentage for a class D non-violent felony may I ask?

patchouli
06-16-2011, 09:40 PM
15%. But that is the time served before being eligible for parole. Parole is not guarenteed, it has to be approved by the Parole Board and sometimes they are more giving than at other times. If his sentences are consecutive he'll have to serve 15% of the 4 AND then 15% of the 3 before being eliglible for parole.

Theoretically, they can keep him for the entire 7 years if they want to ....its up to him to take programs/classes, keep a job, get no write-ups etc. all those things will look good when he sees the Board and help him to be approved for parole.

Was his first felony violent? I'm n ot understading this statement:

Becus he took a pela agreement on the second felony both crimes were supposedly reduced to non-violent felonies.

If he was already sentenced on the first charge and on probation/parole, the second felony at a later date and his plea for the second charge will not/cannot change his designation on a previous charge.

lostgirl32
07-23-2011, 05:53 PM
Does anyone have any info on the new law passed in Ky HB 463? My question is if your already on a 12 month deferment for a class D drug trafficking charge will it apply to them? Who do I call to find out?

sass4221
07-23-2011, 06:43 PM
If the deferment is a parole deferment, then no. Also, the law isn't retroactive unless the person hasn't been sentenced yet. Sorry.

Inmate#186663
08-08-2011, 08:57 PM
As long as you dont have clear conduct for the past 6 months almost all prisoners in Ky receive Administrative Release. U get your gold seal papers when you sign for the Administrative Release. Basically you are on probation for a month or in some cases 60 days until your real serve out day. you don't have to report to a P.O. but if you get in trouble in that time period you will go right back to prison and then go to your court hearings from there. I took it. Its easy just stay out of trouble for a month or so.