View Full Version : Mail regulations at George W Hill Correctional Facility (aka Delaware County Prison)

frogmtm
01-17-2011, 11:14 PM
My sister is at the George W. Hill Correctional Facility in Thornton, Delaware County, PA. My mom said that we can only send her letters. I would like to send her some pictures of our nieces and nephews but my mom swears they are not allowed. This does not make too much sense to me. Is there anywhere online (or anywhere) where I can find a write-up of the rules and regulations for exactly what can and cannot be sent. If not, does anyone know what the restrictions are (if any) on sending photos are? Thank you!

amcmommy
01-18-2011, 07:47 PM
My sister is at the George W. Hill Correctional Facility in Thornton, Delaware County, PA. My mom said that we can only send her letters. I would like to send her some pictures of our nieces and nephews but my mom swears they are not allowed. This does not make too much sense to me. Is there anywhere online (or anywhere) where I can find a write-up of the rules and regulations for exactly what can and cannot be sent. If not, does anyone know what the restrictions are (if any) on sending photos are? Thank you!

you can send photos, my kids father has been out there for the past few months. I have sent him 5 at a time and have not a problem yet.

bobble60
01-23-2011, 08:33 AM
They allow photos. I recommend you print them on plain paper and put them in your letters.

makebelieve215
01-23-2011, 08:45 PM
That is a good suggestion, only because I had photos sent back to me because they made the envelope too heavy for one stamp. You can also send 4 books per month, they just have to be sent directly from a book store. Pictures & cards are fine, I have even sent mailers with lots of papers in them..just nothing with glue.

JulieDaines09
08-09-2011, 12:33 AM
Thank you everyone for posting the mailing information on this site. Believe it or not this is the only place online I ever found a straight answer. So I want to share what I have learned for anyone else who may be searching for up to date answers.

1. The addresses I have used to send mail are:

[Name] #inmate number
George W Hill Correctional Facility
500 Cheyney R
Thornton, PA 19373

[Name] #inmate number
PO Box 23 A
Thornton, PA 19373

2. Everything, even post cards, must have your return address.

3. Mail can only be appx. a nickle thick per 1 forever stamp ($0.10 more for thicker)

3. 4 Books can be sent per month directly from a bookstore, B&N worked for me. They first go to the counselor who then releases them to the inmate after paperwork is filled out. Paperwork must be kept with the books so they are not mistaked for library books and confiscated.

4. Articles can be sent however no ads are allowed through, they are leniant on most ads except partially dressed women.

5. No perfume! or lipstick, stickers, stamps, plain paper, or envelopes.

6. Soduku and other games are allowed.

7. They do not recieve mail on Saturday and letters take approximately 4 days to arrive.

8. Pictures are okay just remember the thickness of the letter, like makebelieve215 mentioned.

mlcplus3
06-03-2012, 01:16 PM
my bf is going in tomorrow, this was heplful. does anyone know their medication polocies, so i can makw sue he gets his heart meds?

bobble60
06-10-2012, 10:58 AM
He can not take any medication into the prison.
He might be able to bring a list of his meds and give it to the nurse who will see him at intake.

Shortay Raw
12-31-2012, 04:19 PM
Does anyone know how to set up collect calls from George W. Hill?

bobble60
01-01-2013, 04:37 AM
I'm almost positive you go through Offender Connect at https://www.offenderconnect.com/portal.

MzColon
02-04-2013, 07:48 PM
I am really sorry but I am so confused. Im in FL and my LO was just sent to George Hill. I was given two numbers for him, a booking and a permanet. Which do I put on his mail? I just want to make sue he gets it. Thanks in advance!

bobble60
02-10-2013, 10:48 AM
Why not put both?

jaydensmom87
04-19-2013, 10:57 PM
What kind of pictures are you aloud to send? Is there any restrictions on how may at a time that can be sent? My sons father is in the medical ward of the prison is there any different rules there than the regular prison? Is there anyway to make contact as far as phone calls? Do I have to have a local number for him to ba able to contact me? Please help...

bobble60
04-21-2013, 06:54 AM
I don't know the specific policies about the types of pictures, but family photos shouldn't be a problem. I always remind members not to send anything they don't want everyone seeing, because a lot of people will see that picture.

If there is a restriction inside the medical unit, then anything you send should be held for him until he's back in population.

You do not need a local number to accept his collect calls.