View Full Version : Son being released, no place to live

blr2449
01-06-2011, 09:53 AM
My son is being released from Brentwood jail next week after spending 4 months on a misdemeanor charge. In those 4 months, my grandson and his mom were evicted from the house they were renting and ended up in a program/shelter in the Exeter area. Their rules do not allow him to join them in this program and I understand that. Also this program is not permanent. As soon as she has saved up enough they will help her find an apartment also in the Exeter/Portsmouth area.

Rules of his probation are that he needs a permanent address, so I've done some online searching for him. Not easy as I live in Michigan. I suggested he talk to his public defender and see if he has information. In the meantime, does anyone have information, suggestions or tips for finding a place in the Exeter/Portsmouth area (closer to Portsmouth is preferred)

And this puzzles me: If they have no place to live do they just keep them in jail? Do they release them and give them a time frame in which to find a place?

This is my family's first experience of this kind. And, hopefully, the last.

Thank you for any help you can give me.

wickedswife
01-06-2011, 10:22 AM
Have him look into a 1/2 way house...another place might be to look into a restitution center...i am not sure about there but if they do not have a place to go then they do not have to let him out on probation...

blr2449
01-06-2011, 10:53 AM
Have him look into a 1/2 way house...another place might be to look into a restitution center...i am not sure about there but if they do not have a place to go then they do not have to let him out on probation...

Thank you! There are 3 half-way houses in NH 2 in Concord and 1 in Manchester. He doesn't have a car so getting there would be difficult. I've been searching rooming houses near Exeter/Portsmouth, etc. Since I'm not familiar anymore with the area I am hoping someone has a suggestion or can let me know which are OK and which are not.

It's so hard to do this from a distance. :confused:

tinymom
01-06-2011, 10:59 AM
You might want to suggest he talk with his probation officer if being released on probation. They may be able to suggest a shelter that is not family oriented and will accept him. The biggest problem in NH is not enough transitional housing or halfway houses. If he has done all his time and not being released on probation then he will be released no matter whether he has a place to go or not. In Laconia we have very few shelters but the ones which are family oriented will not take ex-inmates especially if the original crime was in any way connected with a violent act. But I do know that inmates with no place to go have been allowed to stay at shelters here but the problem is getting a bed in one. It can take days.

Cousin Barb
01-06-2011, 02:17 PM
My son is being released from Brentwood jail next week after spending 4 months on a misdemeanor charge. In those 4 months, my grandson and his mom were evicted from the house they were renting and ended up in a program/shelter in the Exeter area. Their rules do not allow him to join them in this program and I understand that. Also this program is not permanent. As soon as she has saved up enough they will help her find an apartment also in the Exeter/Portsmouth area.

Rules of his probation are that he needs a permanent address, so I've done some online searching for him. Not easy as I live in Michigan. I suggested he talk to his public defender and see if he has information. In the meantime, does anyone have information, suggestions or tips for finding a place in the Exeter/Portsmouth area (closer to Portsmouth is preferred)

And this puzzles me: If they have no place to live do they just keep them in jail? Do they release them and give them a time frame in which to find a place?

This is my family's first experience of this kind. And, hopefully, the last.

Thank you for any help you can give me.

I am not from your area, but you might want to check out the Salvation Army. They have prison rehab services, and helped my cousin overcome addiction and build a better life. I hope they can help you, too.

"Through cooperative arrangements with prison, probation, and parole officials throughout the country, The Salvation Army plays a growing role in prison rehabilitation and crime prevention. In some jurisdictions, prisoners are paroled to the direct custody of The Salvation Army."

Good luck to you and yours!

blr2449
01-07-2011, 11:05 AM
Thank you for all your suggestions. My son called me yesterday to say he had found a place to stay not far from the jail. (And I told him to ensure it was a valid place)

As far as rehab, he'd been going through the program in jail. As part of his release he was supposed to have been ordered to continue with drug/alcohol counseling. I'm waiting to hear back on that.

In the event this other falls through I still have the suggestions you all have contributed. Thank you again.

Kids....ARGH!!

EllaBlue
01-24-2011, 06:40 PM
I've been right where you are/were Bir..and it IS hard. They want them to succeed but when they are released there is such little in the way of resources.

If this does not work out, always check on Craig's List for a sober home, where someone may be willing to rent him a room? I thought there was a sober home in Dover for men. I know for now he is all set....but if in the future you have more questions, please post and I will see what I can do for you.
I wish you the best..
and yes..KIDS GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR