View Full Version : How much time will he serve on a 6 year sentence for DWI?

JAM1
12-25-2010, 11:16 PM
My husband got 6 years for 3rd dwi, do you have any info or know where to get info on this type of case? Would he do half? I don't know how much time he is infact going to do. He was denied his first parole hearing and scheduled for his next parole hearing on Sept 2011.

RobinsMan
12-27-2010, 11:55 AM
I wish I knew the answer to this one because my wife is just starting a six year sentence for DWI. However, this is her 7th and not her first time in prison for it. Her first time in was a 5 year bid and she made her PRD after two denials of parole. I think your husband will do no worse than that.

Renee
12-27-2010, 03:28 PM
Unfortunately, there's no way to really know. I can tell you that my man had an 8 year sentence on a 3 DUI, and he did just over 2 years. Each case is different, though. I wish you the best of luck!

moonsgirl
12-29-2010, 07:26 AM
my boyfriend got 5 years on a 4th dwi and he made parole with a FI-5 which meant he had to go to a SAFP unit for 6 months. His total time was about 16 months. Like Renee said each case is different.

Outlaws_sister
01-08-2011, 07:12 PM
My brother got 8 years for his 3rd DWI (I think??, I lose track, sorry)... and he served 7 of those 8! He's a bit of a troublemaker though. Not in the usual way, but in filing grievances and playing jailhouse lawyer for all his friends and in general, making people mad when he stands up for himself. Maybe that's why... we didn't ever expect him to serve that much of the 8 year sentence.

texex
01-12-2011, 07:34 AM
My husband got 6 years for 3rd dwi, do you have any info or know where to get info on this type of case? Would he do half? I don't know how much time he is infact going to do. He was denied his first parole hearing and scheduled for his next parole hearing on Sept 2011.

As everyone has said...each case is different...I have seen guys serve little time and I have seen guys serve the whole time...hopefully they will send him to Henderson, Texas for the 6 months DWI program and that will help with parole. I got a 8 year sentence and did 2 years, but I got extremely lucky! What Unit is he at? The region he is in depends on which parole board votes on him.

montysmom
01-23-2011, 08:40 AM
My son recieved 15 years on third DWI with an enhanced penalty of Unauthorized use of a vehicle. He had not had a DWI in 21 yrs. and the enhancement was for using his own grandfathers truck. Quite an unfair sentence and we will be waiting to hear the outcome of parole which he is eligible May 2012. I say congrats to everyone recieving parole the first time up, very lucky indeed.

Daren's wife
01-24-2011, 05:28 AM
My husband got 6 years on a 3rd DWI and is eligible for parole April 19, 2011. His case is in review now. I have read that they have to do 1/4 of their sentence. On a 6-year sentence that is 18 months. The parole board has the final say and factors in several things to make a decision, such as:
Seriousness of the offense(s).
Sentence length/amount of time served.
Offender’s age.
Juvenile history.
Criminal history (prior probation/parole).
Number of prison incarcerations.
Other arrests.
Institutional adjustment (Participation in TDCJ-CID proposed or specialized programs).
Letters of support and/or protest.

I wish you good luck. I have heard that most don't make there 1st parole...but some do. Keep praying.

Daren's wife
01-24-2011, 05:29 AM
When did he go in?

RobinsMan
01-24-2011, 08:03 AM
For DWI, good time applies towards the Parole Eligiblity Date and the quarter of the sentence which more than doubles the rate of time so, on a six year hitch it is more like 8 months until parole eligiblity.