View Full Version : What to expect, I may be headed for juvenile for the first time

ScaredGirl
12-22-2010, 11:02 PM
I might headed for juvenile detention for theft and underage drinking. I'm nervous this will be the first time I've ever been to juvenile. I need answers for the following.

1. Do you have to wear a jumpsuit?

2. Is there curfews?

3. Are the pyjamas like long shirts and arent you barefooted?

4. Do they strip search you?

5. Is there any recreational time?

6. Is it full of thugs and will I be pushed around?

7. Will I be in shackles arriving and while im in the juvie hall?

Also I may be transported, hopefully not

If I am, will I be in a uniform while I'm riding?

Will other people see me?

Will I be shackled?

Will I come out the van with a jump suit and shackles, and will people see me?

Does it hurt to be shackled?

:(:(:(:(

BROWN ROYALTY
12-22-2010, 11:18 PM
Locka right... I think that this is an experience u gotta go thru first hand. I can give u all those answers but you woodnt be learning anything from it. Just keep in mind if thats a comfy place to be for you, if it isnt yur stilo, start working on switching up and making better decisions. O and just bcuz u fucked up, doesnt make u a fuck up k. Good luck to you "Locka"

ScaredGirl
12-22-2010, 11:23 PM
Locka right... I think that this is an experience u gotta go thru first hand. I can give u all those answers but you woodnt be learning anything from it. Just keep in mind if thats a comfy place to be for you, if it isnt yur stilo, start working on switching up and making better decisions. O and just bcuz u fucked up, doesnt make u a fuck up k. Good luck to you "Locka"
But this is just stuff that i dont learn i just expeirence, I just wanted to be prepared.

tutudancer
12-23-2010, 12:05 AM
Advise no kids listen to is that from adults..I didn't but we must pass it on as others did to us...prepare now for ur future..mom/dad/grandma/whoever won't be around forever...do good...it takes less effort then being bad..

yourself
12-23-2010, 12:16 AM
I don't know the answer to most of your questions. Uniform is dependent on jurisdiction and facility. You will probably be strip searched at some point. If you're considered really dangerous, you'll be strip searched frequently.

Curfews? Are you serious? Where do you think you're going?

Will people see you? Of course. They have to deal with you, and you won't be isolated. You're going to be among people. You're going to be seen. Most people only see your uniform, so don't worry so much about it.

There'll be rec time, you'll get schooling, you'll get other courses as well. There's still something of an attempt to rehabilitate. Since your offense involved alcohol and other drugs, expect some drug counseling.

Chances are yes, you're going to be shackled for transport. The amount of time you spend in shackles in the facility will depend on your risk level. Shackles generally don't hurt; they're just annoying.

Don't worry so much. Do what they tell you to do. Get through it. Others have. You will survive.

CrazyMailMan
12-23-2010, 06:11 PM
I might headed for juvenile detention for theft and underage drinking. I'm nervous this will be the first time I've ever been to juvenile. I need answers for the following.

2. Is there curfews?

Will I be shackled?

Locka, you have a lot of things going on in your head right now. I am from California and have served time in our juvenile facilities (CYA), but have no information specific to your state. However, I can tell you that most of your questions really will have no impact on your life, one way or another. You will certainly find this to be true. Prison, either juvenile or adult, is not a nice place. Luckily, you have a relatively short period of time that you will have to be there. The best advice I can give you is to not let that time be wasted. Your life is way too valuable to waste in just 'doing time'. Get your GED if you don't already have a diploma. Learn a trade that will help you get a job when you get out. Take this time and read. Occupy your time by bettering yourself. Yes, you will encounter some difficult obstacles, no doubt. Avoid getting involved in politics. Never lose sight of the fact that prison is NOT YOUR HOME. Don't get to comfortable there, and don't make any effort to establish yourself or gain 'respect' or a reputation. You fear is understandable. Have the courage to face your fear with your head up and make the most of this difficult situation.

patchouli
12-23-2010, 06:25 PM
Shackles generally don't hurt; they're just annoying.

Sorry yourself, I have to disagree.....To the OP: Wear socks! Your ankles will be rubbed raw, literally. And it hurts!

jam33
12-24-2010, 06:21 PM

2. Is there curfews?

Will I be shackled?

i have some info and u can email me also. half your questions apply.

Angela L.
03-14-2011, 04:51 AM
1. Yes you are required to wear a uniform. If you are a male it's a two-piece scrub and if your a female it's a one-piece jumpsuit.

2. You are required to be in your cell at a certain time (usually 7 PM) and to have lights out at 10 PM.

3. The pajamas are a shirt with a t shirt if you are a male. If you are a female you aren't given any pajamas so you therefore have to wear the issued jumpsuit to bed.

4. Yes they do upon arrival at the facility.

5. Yes usually for about an hour each day.

6. Juvie does have problem inmates but they are all kept in one area of the facility where they cant get to anyone else but themselves.

7. If you are transported you will not be in a juvie uniform. You will be restrained in handcuffs, shackles, a belly chain, and a chain connecting your handcuffs and shackles. They don't hurt when you are wearing them but they are uncomfortable and confining to wear. People will only see you when you arrive at the facility.

chris7cn
04-17-2012, 06:29 PM

2. Is there curfews?

Will I be shackled?

I was not detained in the US but in Taiwan (Taipei Juvenile Detention House) but I'll try to tell you about my experience, even though it may not be very helpful.

1. We didn't have to wear a jumpsuit but a white T-shirt, blue shorts and shower shoes.

2. If you mean lights out, it was at 9pm

3. We didn't have pyjamas, we slept in the uniform. We were barefoot only during PE.

4. Yes I was strip-searched when admitted and some other (random I guess) times.

5. Yes we got recreation time at day room but there was not very much to do

6. Well it depends but this was not generally the case for me.

7. Only when arriving

Yes during transportation you will have to be in uniform. Having to wear sheckles was not really painfull, at least for me.

walkingtourist
04-19-2012, 07:09 PM
I've never been in juvie but I've been in prison so I'll just try to answer your questions the best that I can.

No, not in prison. You wear a uniform during "program hours," and you can buy a sweatsuit to wear during "nonprogram hours" (evenings and weekends).

2. Is there curfews?
In minimum security, you can be outside on prison grounds when they are not counting you. When you are supposed to work, you are expected to be at your job. Otherwise, you are out of bounds. During count time, you have to be in your room. There is also "recall." That is when you are required to be in the building and you cannot go outside. You are not required to go to bed at any particular hour but you have to be in your room during count. The television rooms might get closed after a certain point so there is very little to do. In county jail, there is a lot of lockup time and you don't get to go outside, except for perhaps a roof gym or something like that.

Yes. In the prison camp, we could buy better pajamas from the commissary. Also we could buy shower shoes. Don't go barefoot; there are all sorts of fungi that are in the shower. They are cleaned but it's better to be safe. Always wear your shower shoes into the shower. Bacteria does tend to breed in the hot, damp environment of the shower.

Yes. In federal prison, it is a visual strip search. They will not touch you.

Yes. For more information about that, you'll have to find out the policies of whatever facility you're sent to. Some provide classes and some have gyms and walking tracks, etc.

I really doubt it. It is full of young people who made poor choices but not necessarily thugs. There are certain etiquette rules in prison, however. Never snitch on anyone. The only exception to this rule is if you are aware that someone is at risk of committing suicide. Then you must tell someone so that you can save a life. The other two rules are: never ask anyone what they did to go to prison and never ask them how long they plan on living there. If people offer that information, that's fine. Just don't ask.

If you are taken there from court or from a county jail, most likely, you will be shackled. Once you're in the facility, the shackles will be removed.

I don't know.

They might but, honestly, people get scared when they see a bus full of people in shackles so they probably won't look.

It depends on the mood of the cops who are shackling you. If they do a good job, you won't be able to get out of the shackles but they also won't be painful. It is less uncomfortable than being handcuffed with your hands behind your back. The most uncomfortable are plastic handcuffs. If a mean cop shackles you, they might tighten up the handcuffs and the leg irons a little too much, and that will be uncomfortable. But, normally, when you're being transported, the cops will do a professional job and the shackling will not hurt.

I know that you are scared but you will get through this experience and then you will be free to move on to bigger and better things. After you are turned loose, you will have the opportunity to reinvent yourself and move on. Even when you are in prison, you can work on reinventing yourself.
Best wishes to you. Please PM me any time you like.