View Full Version : Financial help for prison wives?

shelby0430
12-14-2010, 01:16 PM
My husband just started serving his two year sentence on December 8. A month earlier we had a baby girl. I was wondering if anyone knows of any financial aid out there for single mothers and/or prison wives. I've been surfing the web looking, but not having much luck at all.

ricksbabe
12-14-2010, 01:17 PM
other then governement aid ive never heard of anything. you might want to ask your local church and see if they have any programs set out for single moms or prison wives

thugwife
12-14-2010, 04:17 PM
Nothing is available other than welfare and food stamps and medical card. And if your man is your baby daddy, I wouldnt try to get welfare because they will nail his ass for child support once you file.

lil peep
12-14-2010, 04:51 PM
I haven't heard of anything other than govt assistance either. If you have family support, they might be able to help you.

Hisoneandonly
12-14-2010, 08:03 PM
Tanf (but he will have to pay back in child support) medicaid and food stamps, sometimes you can get help paying your electric bill as well. Thats all I know about.

ricksgirl73
12-14-2010, 08:31 PM
Im not sure about other states but i know california if you collect aid while the other parent is incarcerated, once they get out they can file a hardship paper with child support and any money owed during the time of incarceration will be wiped clean.

misinmjsdaddy
12-14-2010, 09:22 PM
I was in the same position a little over 2 years ago. My daughter was a little over a month old when Alfred went to prison. First let me say, it gets better...

As for the assistance you can apply for food stamps, medicaid, and cash assistance/TANF. As for nailing him for child support and or repayment when he gets out that is not true. I received cash assistance for over a year. DES filed Child support papers on him and I went to the hearing explained to the judge where he was (he already knew because Alfred was served paperwork) and that he did support her until he was locked up. The judge ordered child support payments from him in the amount of $0.
So I imagine it varies from state to state judge to judge...

msmarrie
12-15-2010, 01:19 AM
You have to be more specific in what kind of aid you're looking for. Do you need housing, food, job training, low cost child care? There are some programs out there some state funded, some private but you have to specify the type of aid you want in order to find them.
See if there is a county or state info line, here you can dial 211 and they will direct you to different sources of help. If you don't know call the welfare office they can tell you.
If you're not on WIC make sure you apply for that.
I think you said you were married, but I just have to add who cares if the father has to pay when he gets out, he has a child who needs to eat and live NOW!
Good luck!

Hugaboom
12-15-2010, 09:16 PM
WIC provides formula, milk, peanut butter, etc for the little one if you qualify.

crazy2010
12-16-2010, 10:55 AM
From my experience there is nothing they don't have anything for prison wives!!!! Unless you qualify for regular public assistance.

pinkberrygirl
12-16-2010, 02:09 PM
I've never heard of any type of assitance for prison wives other than normal programs mentioned here. I'm sure society (most anyway) would freak if we got some type of special assistance.

delapenakl
12-16-2010, 09:17 PM
It sucks that there's nothing for us, huh??? And TANF doesn't go that far, does it??? UGH

Colorado_Lawyer
12-22-2010, 01:27 PM
No, the baby comes first. He will have to pay the state back when he gets out, but if she needs help with her baby, then she needs to get it now.

There is no financial aid for prison wives per se, but there is the same aid that is available for all young mothers who are not being supported by their husbands (for whatever reason).

Check into WIC (Women, Infants and Children) -- which has many specific programs available; welfare, Section 8 housing; food stamps; government sponsored day care, so you can work full time, etc.

Nothing is available other than welfare and food stamps and medical card. And if your man is your baby daddy, I wouldnt try to get welfare because they will nail his ass for child support once you file.

noboundries
12-23-2010, 09:17 PM
Here in California - if the parent is in prison, he/she can get that portion of child support to be subtracted.

Do what u gotta do girl. Good luck...oh, and don't forget about WIC (free food, milk, cereal, fruit & veggies).

OH...i would also recommend that you visit a community center. Although you wont get cash, you can get food, help with rent and utilities.

NewHorizon
12-29-2010, 02:35 PM
I have 2 babies (both under the age of 2) and the state helps me. I live in MD, so I know every state is different. They wanted to go after my husband for child support, but I told them no (we are legally married and not getting a divorce). I am on food stamps, medical assistance, and childcare help. I didn't qualify for cash assistance because I do have a full-time job. You have to do what you have to do. Oh, I am also on WIC for both of my children. The child comes first. I know my church also offered a food pantry if I needed it. You could try local churches. Good luck!!!

Like another poster said, it does get easier with time after the adjustment period. The beginning is always the hardest. Good luck.

JudyA68
01-01-2011, 10:35 PM
I also understand about needing the help. In my case I don't qualify for anything because our daughter is grown with her own children. I am unemployed and unemployment runs out in the next couple of weeks. I just don't know how I am going to survive. Thank goodness I was able to move in with my daughter which helps but when the money runs out I don't know what I will do. If you don't have a child under the age of 18 there is no help available.

noboundries
01-02-2011, 10:55 AM
I also understand about needing the help. In my case I don't qualify for anything because our daughter is grown with her own children. I am unemployed and unemployment runs out in the next couple of weeks. I just don't know how I am going to survive. Thank goodness I was able to move in with my daughter which helps but when the money runs out I don't know what I will do. If you don't have a child under the age of 18 there is no help available.

Actually here in California (and probably in other states) there is a program called General Relief aka GR. It's cash assistance, foodstamps and medical for adults with no children. They also set you in a program to help you find a job.

scd123
01-02-2011, 11:03 AM
Actually here in California (and probably in other states) there is a program called General Relief aka GR. It's cash assistance, foodstamps and medical for adults with no children. They also set you in a program to help you find a job.

Ugh. I wish my state had something like that. Here you can't get most assistance unless you have kids. The only thing my bf had a chance at qualifying for was food stamps, but since he had a drug charge, he will NEVER qualify for food stamps. There are people who have committed far worse crimes who do qualify for food stamps. Its very frustrating because he can't find a job, and can't get any government assistance. Yet I see people cheating the system everyday.