View Full Version : Explaination of Inmate's ID numbers

heisRfamily2
12-10-2010, 05:36 PM
Does anyone know what the letter that is part of the inmate's ID number stand for:confused:. I have seen the letters A, B, I, K,M,R,S, X, but was not exactly sure what it stood for. These are some of the letter that I have seen in front of some of the ID#s.:shrug::shrug:

chris idoc
12-12-2010, 09:14 AM
x number means the person is living in Illinois on a conviction from another state basically an interstate compact request that was approved. The other letters are from different years as no inmate is issued the same number so they tend to run out of numbers quickly and have to start on a new letter. C numbers late 60 and early 70s, A numbers late 70's Currently using R and S for the most part.

Kemo'sWife
12-12-2010, 09:30 AM
my fiance is a B and that means the 90's. When they first enter the system there given a number and if they keep comming back they keep the same number everytime.

Danielle88
12-12-2010, 09:37 AM
My husband is a B too. I think there is a thread explaining all the letters and years somewhere...

heisRfamily2
12-12-2010, 05:08 PM
x number means the person is living in Illinois on a conviction from another state basically an interstate compact request that was approved. The other letters are from different years as no inmate is issued the same number so they tend to run out of numbers quickly and have to start on a new letter. C numbers late 60 and early 70s, A numbers late 70's Currently using R and S for the most part.
:) Maybe we need to research that a little further, because 2 inmates that are in on the same charge and who were just convicted with in the past 6 months have different Letters before their inmate I.D #'s. One of them have an R and the other one has an M.:confused::confused:

Kemo'sWife
12-12-2010, 05:37 PM
:) Maybe we need to research that a little further, because 2 inmates that are in on the same charge and who were just convicted with in the past 6 months have different Letters before their inmate I.D #'s. One of them have an R and the other one has an M.:confused::confused:

It all depends on there past incarcerations and the very first time they did a bid cuz there id number stays wit them

JustaNJgirl
12-13-2010, 03:32 PM
My guy is a "K" and it's his first and only time in, and went in in the 90's....

rhewsbbgurl
12-13-2010, 06:06 PM
My guy has a S first and I asked him he says it depends on time and area of IL the crime was commited. He has had this number since the 90's

kevinbrothers
12-13-2010, 06:17 PM
It all depends on there past incarcerations and the very first time they did a bid cuz there id number stays wit them

Your ID Number only stays with you if your convicted of another offense while still on probation. If you clear paper and you are convicted again, you will be issued a new ID Number.

rhewsbbgurl
12-13-2010, 06:28 PM
Your ID Number only stays with you if your convicted of another offense while still on probation. If you clear paper and you are convicted again, you will be issued a new ID Number.

That is not the case for my guy all convictions in IL and was off paper twice and still holds same ID number with DOC

Miss_A
12-13-2010, 07:29 PM

In the state of IL, you keep the same number no matter how many times you are on or off paper.

heisRfamily2
12-13-2010, 09:30 PM
:)This is both of their 1st Bid neither of them have no prior incarcerations.
I am just asking what does the LETTER in front of the I.D # stand for:confused::confused:

Miss_A
12-14-2010, 07:33 AM
Here is what I could find:

A.D. 01.07.220 Central Numbering System
The Alpha portion of the IDOC number relates to the decade and the sentence type.

A =Indeterminate admitted 1970s –opted for determinate
C =Indeterminate admitted in the 1970s
L =Indeterminate admitted in the 1980s
H, T, U =Indeterminate admitted in the 1990s
N=Determinate admitted in the 1980s
P=Periodic Imprisonment
X=Parole Supervision from another state
B, K, R =Determinate admitted in the 1990s
S = Determinate admitted in the 2000s
M = Determine admitted starting 2008

And considering you know someone new to the system who was given an older letter, I'd say that's just IDOC doing things a$$ backwards.

Kemo'sWife
12-14-2010, 08:14 PM
My fiance kept his same number all these years and he's been in and out since the 90's

cher50
12-14-2010, 08:29 PM
Miss A your right on.... my son has a M and he just went in 2010....

heisRfamily2
12-18-2010, 10:51 AM
[quote=cher50;5833504]Miss A your right on.... my son has a M and he just went in 2010....[/quote
:(I am still trying to understand this whole thing, becasue like I stated before. The two rappies that were both sentence this year have two different LETTERS before the numbers. LIke I stated before 1 inmates has an M and the other inmate has an R. How do you explain that,because this is both of their 1st convictions.:confused::confused::confused:

seagrtj
12-18-2010, 02:58 PM
Here is what I could find:

A.D. 01.07.220 Central Numbering System
The Alpha portion of the IDOC number relates to the decade and the sentence type.

A =Indeterminate admitted 1970s –opted for determinate
C =Indeterminate admitted in the 1970s
L =Indeterminate admitted in the 1980s
H, T, U =Indeterminate admitted in the 1990s
N=Determinate admitted in the 1980s
P=Periodic Imprisonment
X=Parole Supervision from another state
B, K, R =Determinate admitted in the 1990s
S = Determinate admitted in the 2000s
M = Determine admitted starting 2008

And considering you know someone new to the system who was given an older letter, I'd say that's just IDOC doing things a$$ backwards.

This is the most accurate explanation. the only thing I can add is that R numbers are given out if you go to R&C in Stateville, S and M numbers come out of Graham and B numbers come out of Menard.

heisRfamily2
12-19-2010, 08:59 AM
This is the most accurate explanation. the only thing I can add is that R numbers are given out if you go to R&C in Stateville, S and M numbers come out of Graham and B numbers come out of Menard.
Both of the rappies did their R&C at stateville and one received an M and the other one received an R
The post that you are referring to regarding the letters and the years that they were appointed, I am so sure about that because the inmate that got the R was born in 1989. According to that explaination, the R were given out in the 1990's; therefore, this person would have only been 10 years or 11years old during the time period of the the 90's, so I still confused by that explaination.

Miss_A
12-19-2010, 05:45 PM
The letters are given during the year they entered into the IDOC. Not the year they were born.

And like I said in my last post, since the person you know received an R, that's just IDOC doing whatever they want. Either that, or someone didn't know what they were doing when the person was issued the R. If it were my loved one, I would call and speak to their counselor and see what's up.

heisRfamily2
12-20-2010, 09:39 PM
The letters are given during the year they entered into the IDOC. Not the year they were born.

And like I said in my last post, since the person you know received an R, that's just IDOC doing whatever they want. Either that, or someone didn't know what they were doing when the person was issued the R. If it were my loved one, I would call and speak to their counselor and see what's up.
:) I understand that the letter is given when they enter, And I know it wouldn't be the year that they were born. I was just asking how, if the R's were given out in the 1990's could an inmate who was born in 1989 receive an R in the year of 2010. I am sure his family is not too concerned about the letter. I was just curious as to what the letters represent, because I noticed that some inmates had different letters. My college professor always told me that no question is a dumb question and you should continue to ask and seek the answer until you know that you understand it fully.:) I said that to say that I was just curious and wanted to know for purpose of understanding the system. I will do some research on my own and find out exactly how the letters relate to the inmate's I.D #.
:thumbsup:Thank you everyone for your help.:thnx:

X-Parole_Agent
01-08-2011, 09:43 AM
In reference to the comment of “someone new to the system who was given an older letter” comment, the individual most likely had a prior conviction hence, the older number. They may have stated this is their first penitentiary stay when in fact, it is not. In my many years with the department, I have only seen one instance where a new number was issued and it was due to an error on an intake and once discovered, the error was resolved.

In addition to keeping the original identification number, the person also keeps the same name and date of birth since it is tied to their IBI/FBI number and fingerprint classification on their first adult arrest (RAP sheet). As a former agent, this has caused problems on release when a parolee needed assistance in getting proper identification since their jacket referred to their incarceration name/DOB. As you may imagine, this caused numerous problems when doing referral letters.

To my knowledge, IDOC is still on the M series numbers so anyone initially committed starting 2008 to the present is issued one.

X-Parole_Agent
01-08-2011, 10:05 AM
Here is the actual A.D. from 2003. It does not reference the M numbers since I retired in 2007. A "R" number would have been assigned anytime after 1990 up to 2003 when the M numbers kicked in. Also note E. Central Numbering System e, f and g that requires conversions. Confusing and complicated? YES! Why? I dunno!

Also, if a juvenile was charged as an adult and was held in the juvenile division and transferred to the adult division on his 21st birthday, I am sure that would somehow affect his adult number. I haven't worked juvenile since 1985 and my old brain strains to go back that far.

Illinois

Department of
Corrections

ADMINISTRATIVE
DIRECTIVE

Number

Page

1 of 5

Effective

7/1/2003

Section01 Administration and General Office

Subsection07 Inmate Records

Subject 220 Central Numbering System

I. POLICY

A. Authority

730 ILCS 5/3‑2‑2

B. Policy Statement

The Department shall assign each individual committed to or released to the Department a Central Numbering System (C.N.S.) number upon admission.

II. PROCEDURE

A. Purpose

The purpose of this directive is to establish written guidelines for staff in regard to assigning a C.N.S. number to each individual committed to the Department.

B. Applicability

This directive is applicable to all adult facilities within theDepartment.

C. Internal Audits

An internal audit of this directive shall be conducted at least annually.

D. Designees

Individuals specified in this directive may delegate stated responsibilities to another person or persons unless otherwise specified.

E. Central Numbering System

1. Each individual committed to or released to the Department shall be assigned a C.N.S. number with a letter prefix.

a. For each individual received at a Reception and Classification Center, the letter prefix assigned shall designate the decade he or she was committed to the Department and the type of sentence he or she is serving.

b. For each individual released to the Department from another state and received by Interstate Compact, the letter prefix assigned shall designate an out‑of‑state releasee on parole status in the State of Illinois.

c. The assigned letter prefixes shall be as follows:

“C” ‑ Committed prior to 1980 with an Indeterminate Sentence but had received a C.N.S. number prior to 1980.

“A” ‑ Committed prior to 1980 with a Determinate Sentence entered under the law in effect after February 1, 1978, or committed with an Indeterminate Sentence and converted to a Determinate Sentence either by sentencing or opting for release dates set by the Prisoner Review Board under the law in effect after February 1, 1978.

“L” ‑ Committed after 1980 with an Indeterminate Sentence entered under the law in effect prior to February 1, 1978.

“N” ‑ Committed after 1980 with a Determinate Sentence entered under the law in effect after February 1, 1978, or committed with an Indeterminate Sentence and converted to a Determinate Sentence either by sentencing or opting for release dates set by the Prisoner Review Board under the law in effect after February 1, 1978.

“H” or “T” or “U" ‑ Committed after 1990 with an Indeterminate Sentence entered under the law in effect prior to February 1, 1978.

“B” or “K” or “R” or “S” ‑ Committed after 1990 with a Determinate Sentence entered under the law in effect after February 1, 1978, or committed with an Indeterminate Sentence and converted to a Determinate Sentence either by sentencing or opting for release dates set by the Prisoner Review Board under the law in effect after February 1, 1978.

“P” ‑ Committed to an adult transition center for Periodic Imprisonment.

“X” ‑ Released to the Department from another state and received by Interstate Compact for parole supervision.

d. Any inmate serving an Indeterminate Sentence who currently has a “C” or “L” or “H” or “T” or “U” letter prefix shall retain the “C” or “L” or “H” or “T or “U” letter prefix as long as he or she remains classified under an Indeterminate Sentence.

e. Any inmate serving an Indeterminate Sentence who currently has a “C” or “L” or “H” or “T” or “U” letter prefix and converts to a Determinate Sentence shall convert to either an “A” or “N” or “B” or “K” or “R” or “S” letter prefix respectively, regardless of when he or she opts for a fixed release date set by the Prisoner Review Board or regardless of when he or she enters the system again under a new sentence.

(1) An inmate who originally had a “C” letter prefix shall convert to an “A” letter prefix.

(2) An inmate who originally had an “L” letter prefix shall convert to an “N” letter prefix.

(3) An inmate who originally had an “H” or “T” or “U” letter prefix shall convert to a “B” or “K” or “R” or “S” letter prefix.

f. Any inmate admitted to the Department on or after January 1, 1990 with an Indeterminate Sentence entered under the law in effect prior to February 1, 1978 who has no prior commitments to the Department shall be issued a “H” or “T” or “U” letter prefix. Also, the “L” letter prefix shall be issued by the Office of the Chief Record Officer to parole violators referred to in Attachment A.

g. Any inmate admitted to the Department on or after January 1, 1990 with a Determinate Sentence entered under the law in effect after February 1, 1978 who has no prior commitments to the Department shall be issued a “B” or “K” or “R” or “S” letter prefix.

2. In the event an inmate is readmitted to the Department and is assigned a C.N.S. number at the time he or she is received at a Reception and Classification Center and it is subsequently learned that the inmate was previously issued a C.N.S. number, the new C.N.S. number would become void and the old number would be reinstated.

3. For individuals released to the Department from another state and received by Interstate Compact for parole supervision, the number assigned shall be the next sequential number in the “X” series.

F. Requirements

1. The Record Office Supervisor at each Reception and Classification Center shall ensure a C.N.S. number is assigned to every individual received at their center and to those who would have been received at their center had it not been for the fact the inmate has a disability. Numbers shall be assigned in numerical order from the blocks of numbers assigned to the center per Attachment A. The Chief Records Officer shall be notified immediately when unassigned numbers are expected to last for no more than a month.

2. The Record Office Supervisor at each adult correctional center shall ensure the letter prefix is designated if it becomes necessary to change the letter in accordance with this directive.

3. The Chief Record Officer shall ensure a C.N.S. number with the letter prefix “L” is assigned for individuals who were released on parole prior to the establishment of the C.N.S., who violated their parole, who have a parole violation warrant outstanding, and who were located in another jurisdiction after January 1980, and are being held in that jurisdiction.

4. The Administrator of Interstate Compact shall ensure a C.N.S. number with the letter prefix “X” is assigned in sequential order for individuals released to the Department from other states for parole supervision in the State of Illinois.

Authorized by:

Roger E. Walker Jr.
Director

Supersedes:
01.07.220 AD 3/1/2000
and as amended 9/1/2001

ATTACHMENT A

ASSIGNMENT OF C.N.S. NUMBERS

Effective immediately, the following series of numbers are designated for use by the correctional facilities with Reception and Classification Centers:

Menard Reception and Classification Center
B26000 ‑ B26999
B80000 ‑ B99999

Graham Reception and Classification Center
B27000 ‑ B29999
K02000 - K04999
K88000 - K92999
K95000 - K99999
S00001 - S04999

Joliet Reception and Classification Center
B50000 ‑ B79999
K50000 - K84999
R00001 - R34999
R40000 - R74999

Dwight Reception and Classification Center
K00001 - K01999
K85000 - K87999
K93000 - K94999
R35000 - R36999

R37000 - R39999

R75000 - R77999

The series of numbers L69000 ‑ L69999 are designated for use by the Office of the Chief Record Officer for inmates who were released on parole or bond or who escaped prior to the establishment of the Central Numbering System.

MrsBonner85
07-04-2011, 11:37 AM
my boyfriend is an M & he was 1st convicted in 2008 so i guess it makes sense...

Mrz.Stovall
02-02-2012, 10:43 PM

This cant be cuz my fiancιe just transferred from stateville and he has a M

Anthonysgirl4
02-29-2012, 02:47 PM
The basic jist of it all is that the number doesn't really mean anything. and as always, IDOC is going to do things however they want regardless of whether it makes sense or not. My guys number does actually correspond correctly as he entered in the 90's and has a B number.

Miss_A
03-01-2012, 08:39 PM
This cant be cuz my fiancιe just transferred from stateville and he has a M

My ex did his reception time in Stateville and received an M number.

herewithoutyou2
04-04-2012, 09:38 PM
My sweetie has an R id number but I don't know when his first incarceration was.