View Full Version : Marriage in prison in NC? Allowed or not?

c_rae
12-07-2010, 12:52 AM
Hi. I can't find a specific forum to post this.

But I was wondering is it out-lawed in the state of NC to get married while the inmate is in prison?

I've heard conjugal visits are not allowed, and I'm not worried about that. Just wondered if you are allowed to marry your inmate while they are incarcerated.

CandySunrise
12-07-2010, 07:59 PM
I married my husband while since he's been in.

Matt'sSweetness
12-07-2010, 08:55 PM
It depends upon the prison. Some NC prisons will allow it, while others won't. You have to call the prison and ask the chaplain.

c_rae
12-07-2010, 09:07 PM
Thanks! Hey, I see your come on 7-11! Looks like we're both waiting on the same release month! :)

It depends upon the prison. Some NC prisons will allow it, while others won't. You have to call the prison and ask the chaplain.

12-07-2010, 11:04 PM
The Family and Friends Handbook, page 40:
http://www.doc.state.nc.us/Publications/2010Handbook.pdf

Can an inmate request to get married?
Yes. Marriage requests are reviewed and approved by the prison facility superintendent. All Division of Prisons requirements and legal requirements must be met to marry. Both the inmate and fiance must consent to the marriage in writing. If the inmate or fiance has been married before a verifi ed copy of the divorce papers
must be submitted.
Custody or housing restrictions can make it diffi cult or impossible to complete the paperwork requirements. The Department of Correction does not assist inmates in meeting the legal requirements.
Facilities will not transport an inmate from the confines of a prison for the purpose of obtaining a marriage license. When marriage requests are approved, the inmate and fiance can consult with a minister or a religious counselor.
For more information contact the chaplain at the prison facility where the inmate is housed.

qylaila
12-07-2010, 11:09 PM
The Family and Friends Handbook, page 40:
http://www.doc.state.nc.us/Publications/2010Handbook.pdf

Can an inmate request to get married?
Yes. Marriage requests are reviewed and approved by the prison facility superintendent. All Division of Prisons requirements and legal requirements must be met to marry. Both the inmate and fiance must consent to the marriage in writing. If the inmate or fiance has been married before a verifi ed copy of the divorce papers
must be submitted.
Custody or housing restrictions can make it diffi cult or impossible to complete the paperwork requirements. The Department of Correction does not assist inmates in meeting the legal requirements.
Facilities will not transport an inmate from the confines of a prison for the purpose of obtaining a marriage license. When marriage requests are approved, the inmate and fiance can consult with a minister or a religious counselor.
For more information contact the chaplain at the prison facility where the inmate is housed.

2021, it's good to have you around here in the NC forum of PTO!!! You are on it and always help if the answer can be found in the Handbook.:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Matt'sSweetness
12-08-2010, 05:30 PM
Thanks! Hey, I see your come on 7-11! Looks like we're both waiting on the same release month! :)

Yep! It's right around the corner!