View Full Version : Mississippi Judge is Hard on Drug Crimes

Amy
03-19-2004, 12:20 PM
Forrest County judge refuses to reduce sentence for drug dealer

Associated Press

HATTIESBURG, Miss. - A Forrest County judge has refused to reduce the prison sentence for a man convicted of selling drugs near a Hattiesburg church.

Kado Jackson, 34, was convicted in December of selling cocaine near Beacon Baptist Church. He was sentenced to 50 years in prison and fined $25,000.

On Wednesday, Circuit Judge Bob Helfrich denied several motions, including requests for a reduced sentence, a new trial and for Jackson to be released on bond pending an appeal.

"I consider drug dealers a danger to the community," Helfrich said.

Under state law, selling drugs within 1,500 feet of a church or school allows a judge to double the penalty.

Nearly three pounds of cocaine were seized with Jackson during the arrest. Jackson's attorney, Tracy Klein, said the case will be appealed to the Mississippi Supreme Court.

Klein had argued the sentence was an unjust and inconsistent punishment considering he is a first offender and people convicted of similar crimes got lighter sentences.

Helfrich said he considered Jackson a major player in the drug market and that his first-time offender label was a mere technicality.

SSTEWART
03-19-2004, 12:27 PM
You know stories like that really upsets me!! First of all they let violent offenders out of jail before they let non violent drug dealers out. UNREAL.. My husband is in jail on a first offense mandatory drug charge.. He is in there with a guy who killed someone and that guy is getting out a year before him. It doesnt make any sense. It is a very sore subject for me because it really upsets me!! Never mind how much tax dollars are being spent to keep these people in jail... :argh

babbles
03-21-2004, 05:22 AM
I agree with yall. I'm having a REALLY hard time knowing my son will not get out of Parchman until October 2007 for violation of probation (drugs) I'm having a VERY HARD time dealing with the system !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!