View Full Version : What does the letter before inmate number mean?

lin787
12-01-2010, 03:51 PM
How do I find out or figure out why and what the letter before an inmates number means?

Some have a letter, and different letters or no letter at all.

just askin. tx

ben's girl
12-01-2010, 05:08 PM
Are you referring to the letter in the actual DC number? If so, I believe it was because they ran out of number sequences and had to start using alpha as part of the DC number. If you are referring to the 0, A, B C, etc, that indicates how many times the inmates has been incarcerated. ie 0 mean their first time in prison

pbandk
12-02-2010, 05:11 AM
I wonder what y stands for.

ben's girl
12-02-2010, 08:48 AM
I wonder what y stands for.

If the "Y" you are referring to is like this, Y12345, then it's just part of the DC number. I don't think it has a meaning, but I could be wrong. If it looks like this, Y-123456, then that would reference how many times that person has been in prison.

lin787
12-08-2010, 11:52 AM
tx, I should have known there was no method in their maddess:)

peanut!
12-16-2010, 11:38 PM
No, I'm pretty sure the letter signifies a certain region. At least if they were charged as youthful offenders, I THINK. Because in my case, inmates from Lee/Collier County all have DC: Y#####.

SOLLIAH
12-16-2010, 11:50 PM
In some states it means when u went in. In Cali C means he went in a long time ago. Like in 1980. In Arizona they have no letters.

spin721
12-18-2010, 07:28 AM
MY DC number was 0-TXXXXX. You are correct. The "0" (zero) to the left of the dash identifies the number of commitments to the FL. DOC. Zero = first timer, A = Second commitment, B= third.....

The letter to the RIGHT of the dash is supposed to signify the county/town/area from where that inmate is from. Mine was actually a "T". I would meet other inmates that would ask me...."where you from in Hillsborough/Tampa?". Understand though, there are some guys who have been in there so long that they DON'T have a letter before their DC number. Since we were already all locked up anyway...we didn't really care at that point where we were from. We just wanted to get the hell back there! :)

paradise soul
12-18-2010, 07:33 AM
Always was curious to know and never asked my man.....so he has a n W before his # and he is in MA. Does anyone know???

ben's girl
12-19-2010, 09:44 PM
I guess maybe it depends on what one's definition of a long time is. Ben doesn't have an alpha character in his DOC and he's been in prison less than 10 years.

hisprettygirl10
12-21-2010, 11:27 AM
My mans is 0-X***** And As someone mentioned before to the left of the dash is how many times they've been incarcerated and to the right signifies what county/area it was in. J says some of the ones that have been there awhile dont have them so im guessing its a farely new thing!?

mandybear206
12-26-2010, 09:34 AM
Im pretty sure its defined by what region you were in. Everyone I know of out of Brevard County has an E in front of their DC number even if it was their first time in prison

ben's girl
12-26-2010, 09:36 AM
There are differences in the letter that is part of the DC numbers and the number/letter that preceeds the DC number on their inmate ID. You don't see the number/letter before the DC number on the DOC website or refer to it when identifying your loved when when asked what his/her DC number is.

lin787
12-26-2010, 04:28 PM
the letter before the doc number does not show up on inmate search?
when calling for account info, you are instructed to use the corresponding number, then they come back with which one did you want, if more than one.

I have seen letter before the number, but havent noticed any with a dash after the letter.

lol, I know this is not important, but I find it odd that none of us know for sure 100%.

ben's girl
12-26-2010, 06:34 PM
0-W23456, A-W23456, B-W23456 and so on

1) Means that this is the inmate's 1st time in prison and the W is part of the DC number
2) Means that this is the inmate's 2nd time in prison
3) Means that this is the inmate's 3rd time in prison

You would use the W when inquiring w/ DOC employees or automated systems. The 0, A and B is what doesn't show up on the DOC website or used as part of the DC number.

I hope this makes sense.

SexyChef1
12-26-2010, 07:06 PM
Makes sense my guy doesn't have letter his is 16693-111 for example.

Shaneswife68
12-26-2010, 07:12 PM
My man has a letter before and 6 numbers...Basically, he says it means he is an "old timer" in prison...:no:
My interpretation of that is he needs to behave! :thumbsup:LOL

or-mtwt
12-26-2010, 07:32 PM
Something else.. if they have been in since the 80's and have gotten out my husband said you keep the same DC#, (as he did), you had the 1st-2nd-3rd-4th and so on times you will show on the DOC site with the number you were first given but on your ID you wear you have the A-XXXXX or B-XXXXX and so on for how many times you have been back inside!

Also there is a big difference between the ones that start out WXXXXX and the ones that start with *234567* they are better known as *Convict* and Inmate and believe me they are two different types of people on the inside officers are told the meaning of these two inmates and when a new COs tries to mess with a Convict the older CO will stop them and tell them "THAT IS A CONVICT" and they back off...

or-mtwt
12-26-2010, 07:35 PM
My man has a letter before and 6 numbers...Basically, he says it means he is an "old timer" in prison...:no:
My interpretation of that is he needs to behave! :thumbsup:LOL
LOL that means he is like my husband and they are also known as Convicts. :thumbsup:
And God_forbid you call him "POPS":eek:

JudyA68
12-26-2010, 07:41 PM
My husbands number is 6 digits no letters. He was in the prison system 1 time for 3 mths for a VOP back in 1991. He is in now for 3yrs for a convicted felon with a firearm. (not a handgun a hunting rifle he was cleaning in our own home) By no stretch of the imagination my husband is a convict. So, I don't know if I would really trust that the numbers represents an inmate compared to a convict. Bottom line is they are where they are and I know we all want them home. I know that the number he has now is the same one he had back in 1991.

Shaneswife68
12-26-2010, 08:08 PM
LOL that means he is like my husband and they are also known as Convicts. :thumbsup:
And God_forbid you call him "POPS":eek:

I call him "old timer" or "my little convict"...LOL! Here, I can joke about it but...The fact that he has made a name for himself this way isn't funny...I was only friends with him before but, now that we are planning a life, he better be there because I will only go through this hell ONCE! When he first told me how he really felt about me, I let him know that. Body by DOC or not, if he gets out and starts acting foolish again, I'm gonna kick his butt...then walk away!:D

or-mtwt
12-27-2010, 04:38 AM
My husbands number is 6 digits no letters. He was in the prison system 1 time for 3 mths for a VOP back in 1991. He is in now for 3yrs for a convicted felon with a firearm. (not a handgun a hunting rifle he was cleaning in our own home) By no stretch of the imagination my husband is a convict. So, I don't know if I would really trust that the numbers represents an inmate compared to a convict. Bottom line is they are where they are and I know we all want them home. I know that the number he has now is the same one he had back in 1991.
Judy, yes your husband would have been a Convict the ones that went in after that time are what are known as Inmates before the prison system went though the new laws (65% and parole era ) our men went in in a different type of atmosphere and inmates within the prisons, then it is now.

or-mtwt
12-27-2010, 04:48 AM
I call him "old timer" or "my little convict"...LOL! Here, I can joke about it but...The fact that he has made a name for himself this way isn't funny...I was only friends with him before but, now that we are planning a life, he better be there because I will only go through this hell ONCE! When he first told me how he really felt about me, I let him know that. Body by DOC or not, if he gets out and starts acting foolish again, I'm gonna kick his butt...then walk away!:D
Exactly mine is the same they call him "Mr. or Sir" :eek: first time I seen that by a Jidderbug I just looked at him... My husband was a not nice man either when he came inside but he was also a smart man and has never had a DR in all these years.. I am not saying he didn't do anything but he was just smart enough to do it were he was not going to get locked up!:thumbsup:

as for kicking his but I have told mine I know where sleep and I can sew... :blah:

Shaneswife68
12-27-2010, 06:27 AM
Exactly mine is the same they call him "Mr. or Sir" :eek: first time I seen that by a Jidderbug I just looked at him... My husband was a not nice man either when he came inside but he was also a smart man and has never had a DR in all these years.. I am not saying he didn't do anything but he was just smart enough to do it were he was not going to get locked up!:thumbsup:

as for kicking his but I have told mine I know where sleep and I can sew... :blah:

LOL!!! Yeah...my love doesn't get in any trouble either...He got a cc last month for not going to take his meds but, it was thrown out...He doesn't take psyc meds, it's meds for his heart that they finally kop'd to him...But, the guard didn't know...<He was still recovering from his heart attack a week before and slept through his med call>...Other than that, he behaves...;)
I told him, "You said you are a man of your word. You gave me your word you will be home in August so you better be." Although, I know there might come a time when "he has to do what he needs to do"...So, in that case or if it is because of something else he can not control, I will continue to wait. If it is just because he gets a stick up his butt...I told him I will move on. The longest they can keep him is December if something were too happen. But, where he is, everyone <including guards> are more laid back.
Any word on your hubby moving?

or-mtwt
12-28-2010, 06:36 PM
LOL!!! Yeah...my love doesn't get in any trouble either...He got a cc last month for not going to take his meds but, it was thrown out...He doesn't take psyc meds, it's meds for his heart that they finally kop'd to him...But, the guard didn't know...<He was still recovering from his heart attack a week before and slept through his med call>...Other than that, he behaves...;)
I told him, "You said you are a man of your word. You gave me your word you will be home in August so you better be." Although, I know there might come a time when "he has to do what he needs to do"...So, in that case or if it is because of something else he can not control, I will continue to wait. If it is just because he gets a stick up his butt...I told him I will move on. The longest they can keep him is December if something were too happen. But, where he is, everyone <including guards> are more laid back.
Any word on your hubby moving?
As for him moving nope not yet.. not sure if its going to happen or not.. with the site for Zhills saying 59 and him not being that old...

Shaneswife68
12-28-2010, 07:18 PM
As for him moving nope not yet.. not sure if its going to happen or not.. with the site for Zhills saying 59 and him not being that old...

Shane's only 42...They do have beds open for people who are not sick or elderly as well...It's worth a shot to get him closer to you...:)

ben's girl
12-28-2010, 07:22 PM
How do I find out or figure out why and what the letter before an inmates number means?

just askin. tx

Just a reminder so that everyone will know what this thread was about. :thumbsup:

Thanks

His Princesa
07-02-2011, 12:08 AM
I totally don't agree... my husband is 123456 my ex is Y12121... my husbands first time in doc is now ... first time on state probation was 2003... never before... So he isn't an "old timer" ... my ex has been in and out of state since 1994 and has the y stuff... yes the y represents lee county ... my husband is from Miami but has all numbers... same with my brother in law... just saying....

t_lm
07-18-2011, 01:40 PM
Hillsborough county associated with the letter T before the #. Even if you do felony probation they issue you a dc #. If you should ever do prison time it wiil be that same #.

KingsWifey
09-30-2011, 09:05 AM
0-W23456, A-W23456, B-W23456 and so on

1) Means that this is the inmate's 1st time in prison and the W is part of the DC number
2) Means that this is the inmate's 2nd time in prison
3) Means that this is the inmate's 3rd time in prison

You would use the W when inquiring w/ DOC employees or automated systems. The 0, A and B is what doesn't show up on the DOC website or used as part of the DC number.

I hope this makes sense.

Thanks Bens.

The letter that is part of his DC # is the same for every one from our area. My brother was the same letter when he was in as were a few others we know from our city that have done time. They all had the same letter whereas other guys inside have a different letter on their DC#s when they are from different counties.

I had never heard the "convict" vs "inmate" thing. It was my understanding some areas aren't represented by a letter so some inmates' DC # don't have them. Like T_lm said, once you are assigned a DC# (felony) which can be for probation or in county jail...you will always have the same DC#.

amickeyfan
11-30-2011, 06:34 PM
I totally don't agree... my husband is 123456 my ex is Y12121... my husbands first time in doc is now ... first time on state probation was 2003... never before... So he isn't an "old timer" ... my ex has been in and out of state since 1994 and has the y stuff... yes the y represents lee county ... my husband is from Miami but has all numbers... same with my brother in law... just saying....

Y I "think" is Lee... not positive... my son's was Y too...and everyone he knew that went with him had that "Y" if it was their first time and they were from Lee.. 0 then the Y... you really don't use the 0 since it is before the Y... but it was really there...:)

LittleSunshine
12-02-2011, 10:55 PM
Y is for the 20th judical circuit... Collier, lee, charlotte and hendry

chopsuey
01-20-2012, 01:36 PM
There are two different sets of letters in inmate DC numbers. The base DC number consists of 6 characters, this can either be 6 numbers or 1 letter and 5 numbers. There is a prefix that can be either 0 or A-Z. The prefix character represents the number of commitments that an inmate has, for example "A-123456" would represent a second commitment. The prefix of "0" indicates a first commitment. DC numbers that have 1 letter and 5 numbers were issued since 1995 and represented the change to the 85% sentencing. The letter represents the judicial circuit from which the initial commitment came from. The 18th Circuit, which is Brevard and Seminole county, which was mentioned above, all have the letter "E" as the first character followed by 5 numbers. Each circuit has its own letter and some have multiple letters. Both types of DC numbers are currently in use and are being issued.

ben's girl
01-21-2012, 01:09 PM
DC numbers that have 1 letter and 5 numbers were issued since 1995 and represented the change to the 85% sentencing.

My husband is under the 85% and doesn't have a letter in his DC number. He has been in prison for less than 10 years so well after the sentencing changes.

LittleSunshine
01-22-2012, 11:25 AM
My husband is under the 85% and doesn't have a letter in his DC number. He has been in prison for less than 10 years so well after the sentencing changes.

Same with my husband. He has no letters and been in since last yr so that is not true ...

Judy45
01-30-2012, 01:23 AM

just askin. tx

Wow, I am glad I looked around a bit before posting my question as I had the exact same question.

My son has been in the Florida DOC more than once and he has the same 6 digit number he had from his first confinement.

I have an acquaintance that got sentenced in the last couple years. He was down here on parole from New York when he committed the crimes for which he was sent to Fl Doc. He has a letter and 5 digits. I cannot recall the letter as I am not in contact with him but I will take a look and post it.

I asked my son if he knew why some had letters and he said because they ran out of numbers?

Keep in mind this is all conjecture. I do not know the for sure answer just know that my son has kept the same number since his first conviction.

Be Free...........Judy