View Full Version : Did you take a plea-bargain? Do you regret it?

Becky_H
11-24-2010, 09:22 AM
The subject says it all, but I really am curious.

I took a plea. Not only did I take a plea, I hoped and prayed the Commonwealth Attorney would offer me one. I was absolutely scared to death that he wasn't going to, and I was going to have to go to trial and I'd be sent away for the maximum (12 years).

I had a Public Defender, who was less than helpful. I spoke to him for a total of about ten minutes and he didn't tell me a thing about the evidence, witnesses, or even the law. I knew *nothing*, except I might have to go to jail for a long time and I didn't want to.

So, of course when they offered me a deal, I jumped all over it with a sense of relief and euphoria. No trial, no jail time, just plead out and move on with life. Right?

Bzzzt. (I'm sure you all heard that).

It was a plea for a felony conviction - with a charge that 'wobbles' (and, actually, failed to meet the criteria for the felony charge, but that's another rant about my public defender, and best saved for another day).

I had no idea what a felony conviction would do to us or our life. None.

Now I do, and of course it's too late.

You can't appeal a plea-bargain. Nor can you have one expunged.

I didn't go to jail- and I might have if I hadn't taken the plea. That's a good thing. The flip-side of this is now my hands are tied, my life is in tatters. Do I deserve that?

Yeah, actually I do. Not for my crime though. I deserve it for being too scared shitless to fight for myself and my family.

lovingwifewaiti
11-24-2010, 10:05 AM

I took a plea. Not only did I take a plea, I hoped and prayed the Commonwealth Attorney would offer me one. I was absolutely scared to death that he wasn't going to, and I was going to have to go to trial and I'd be sent away for the maximum (12 years).

I had a Public Defender, who was less than helpful. I spoke to him for a total of about ten minutes and he didn't tell me a thing about the evidence, witnesses, or even the law. I knew *nothing*, except I might have to go to jail for a long time and I didn't want to.

So, of course when they offered me a deal, I jumped all over it with a sense of relief and euphoria. No trial, no jail time, just plead out and move on with life. Right?

It was a plea for a felony conviction - with a charge that 'wobbles' (and, actually, failed to meet the criteria for the felony charge, but that's another rant about my public defender, and best saved for another day).

I didn't go to jail- and I might have if I hadn't taken the plea. That's a good thing. The flip-side of this is now my hands are tied, my life is in tatters. Do I deserve that?

Yeah, actually I do. Not for my crime though. I deserve it for being too scared shitless to fight for myself and my family.My husband was offered a plea down to a misdemeanor with no jail time. He refused the plea as he said he will not plead on something he did not do. He ended up in jail and will have a felony. One never knows what to do. It is all a game of chance which is very sad to say.

mikeswifey730
11-24-2010, 10:14 AM
My husband was offered 20 yrs at first and he didn't take it, after 2 yrs of going back to court he decided to take it n then it was 22 yrs :( didn't really work in our favor but in a way it did I'm very thankful to be able to say my baby will be home in 9yrs n some change <3

Gatogirl
11-24-2010, 01:41 PM
Both me and my partner took plea bargains that are lawyers were able to work out. We were looking @ 5 felony drug charges each. With up to 20 years sentencing and 200,000 in fines. She took a plea for 18 months and 3 years probation. My lawyer had 2 felonies dropped and changed one to a misdemeanor. I ended up with 70 days house arrest and 3 years probation. We are grateful for the outcome. In the end her 18 months went to 14 months and it looks like my probation may only last a year or so.

TigerFilly
11-24-2010, 02:25 PM
My son swore to his father and me that he did not do what he was accused of. But when it came down to brass tacks, and against our advise to not plead guilty to something he didn't do, he took a plea because the prosecutor was threatening life in prison if he took it to trial and he didn't want to take that chance. So now he will have a felony mark on his record for the rest of his life for something he didn't do.

hotchic_2005
12-13-2010, 12:39 AM
Ok I took a plea deal. I was guilty of not only what they charged me with but also wayyy more that I wasn't charged with. My charge carried 15-99years. The first plea deal was 20 years in prison. I turned it down as I had never even had a speeding ticket. I hired a real lawyer and he got me a 10 year probation deal. And I don't get a felony on my record unless I get violated on my probation. I was also told by my lawyer that the judge would most likely let me off probation in 3-5 years if I got a college degree. So, I am now in college! I think the plea deal is better than I would have gotten if I had gone to trial!!!

oh yeah 2015
12-13-2010, 12:49 AM
my boy friend took a plea, only because he didnt wanna go to trial. he wasnt guilty of the crime. he was guilty of being there while the crime was being done. he also didnt want to turn his brothers in. the ones who actually comitted the crime. so now he is doing jus about 4years. were trying to get him to try again and see if we can get him back in court again to reconsider is that possible?

MIKAER
03-01-2011, 08:39 PM
Plea bargains are the DA's bread and butter, they are career builders, most high profile cases are tried in the press...The DA's is allowed to leak lies, changes in Brady v Maryland allow the DA to lie to secure a plea and withhold exculpatory evidence from the defense. 5% of the prison population is made up of innocent people who took pleas, SICKNING!!!

myfreedom2010
03-03-2011, 11:18 AM
Well I was thankful for what I got - considering the crime I committed...:o

I had embezzled over $800,000 and I had forged over 189 checks in my name so I could have been facing Grand Larceny charges, forgery and uttering - I had a paid attorney (worth every penny even though I believe he truly over charged me) who got my case to remain in the State courts and he got the Commonwealth to only charge me with six counts of G.L. (6 for every 6 month period I stole) = I was facing 120 years for all counts!:eek: (20 yrs per count) - I plead guilty and went before the judge for my sentencing - I did get all 120 years but 5 counts were suspended and the one count I was sentenced to 3 yrs w/17 yrs suspended...

I am very thankful for what I received and used my time in prison wisely!:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

WaitingOnEddie
03-27-2011, 03:35 PM
My first offer was 37 years...that was a big fat hell no. My second offer was 19 years...another big fat hell no. Then they offered me 4 years...which was a big fat hell yes. Did 3 on the 4. Do I regret it? Not really...it was the best I was going to get and if I would have taken it to trial I would have been screwed.

My hubby however (my bid was in no relation to his at all)...he pled out to 31 years (with an Alford plea, not a guilty plea). He was facing death row. And that's the only reason he took the deal was b/c if he took it to trial and lost, they were going to send him to DR. Could he have won at trial? Maybe...maybe not. We'll never know. He didn't feel like risking his life or my sanity to find out.

SunshineWife
03-27-2011, 03:45 PM
My husband took a plea deal. He still regrets it. I am grateful, as I think it could have been much worse. But the down side of it all was that he confessed to his crime, thinking that would work in his favor> NOT... and then they tried to tack on more charges which were not true. The media got ahold and there was no way for him to get out because of his admission his credibility was shot and he was sunk. That part is over now. And i can only look forward to the future and pray for the day we can be together again.

ifound4ever
03-27-2011, 05:02 PM
Yes we took a deal! And we are not quite sure that we made the right decision! He was sick of county as was I and the PD said it was the best that he'd get given his history!!! So we agreed and here we are!!

Turbo413
03-27-2011, 06:59 PM
What part of the "bargain," do we actually get?? Admitting guilt, when you're not guilty. I believe this was the hardest part for my husband and hearing the words "convicted felon." He shouldn't have gotten any time for what he was sentenced for, but taking a plea of 2 1/2 years, opposed to going to trial and possibly looking at 25+ is a Big gamble. Plea Bargains are the worse. State appointed attorneys are the worse (ours was). Pinal County justice system is the worse.

Alpine
03-29-2011, 04:10 PM
I was facing State high level traffiking (mandatory life), mid level traffiking (mandatory 2-15 years), low level (mand 2-6 years), possible yet to be filed high level (mandatory life) and possible yet to be filed manufacturing (mandatory life). They offered me probation for a single sales charge. We (me and my lawyer) turned it down. Months later they came back with a 12-30 months plea for a low level trafficking with a stipulation of no more charges to be filed. We took it and I should end up doing 7 months with no probation/parole after how the plea is structured. I thought I got screwed until I came here and started to read about posters getting decades for much much less then what they were trying to charge me with. The discrepencies between sentences from case to case is mind-boggling. It's amazing they call it "justice" instead of the reverse lottery.

JodyAnnShaw
04-05-2011, 01:54 PM
I am very happy that I got and took a plea bargain when I got in trouble. I was charged with Felony B&E, Felong Larceny, 1st degree burglary, Conspiracy to commit armed robbery and accessory after murder. As part of the plea, 2 charges were combined & dropped to misdemeanors, 2 felonies dropped to misdemeanors, and I had to plead guilty to the last charge, which was a felony. I was sentenced to 42-56 months, 1 yr. Intense probation followed by 5 years supervised, had to pay back all restitution for myself and my co-defendants.
Plea Bargains can be a good thing... but I've also seen alot of people get screwed by agreeing to them!

Believeinchange
04-11-2011, 03:19 PM
Plea bargains are the DA's bread and butter, they are career builders, most high profile cases are tried in the press...The DA's is allowed to leak lies, changes in Brady v Maryland allow the DA to lie to secure a plea and withhold exculpatory evidence from the defense. 5% of the prison population is made up of innocent people who took pleas, SICKNING!!!

That is what happened to my guy. The DA suppressed and altered evidence. You can hear the alterarions on the audio tapes. :angry:
My guy took a plea because the DA was very threatening in what COULD happen and what would be persued. Trying to find out if we can get him back in court.

Any ideas?

Beachhouse
04-13-2011, 05:12 PM
This wasn't me but I wish my friend had taken a deal. He refused to back down and lie by saying he committed a crime he didn't do. So it went to trial and now he has 15-life. If he had taken a plea and lied and said he did the crime he wouldn't have gotten life. That is the biggest thing I care about 15 yrs no biggie but life. omg, what a nightmare.

dextr0
05-30-2011, 05:26 AM
I took a plea.

Dumbest decision of my life (or smartest depending on how u want to look at it). I had no one that I felt would be competent enough to put on the stand. Though there were more than enough witnesses. Most were drunk, some I did not know, and the one person who was sober and would have been really credible did not remember anything. She blanked out, just like all the other times in her life when bad things went bad. I signed for five years after I asked my sister what had happened that night, Emphasizing that I needed her to remember correctly.

She couldnt do it.

3 cops were on the scene in a country road, and not one had a video camera working that day. How convenient.

A case of if I would have knew then...

kyi kyi
07-11-2011, 12:47 PM

Yeah, actually I do. Not for my crime though. I deserve it for being too scared shitless to fight for myself and my family.

the same sitation happend to me... almost to the t. i wish sometimes i would have just takin it to trial.

OffenderNoMore
07-12-2011, 10:15 AM
I took a plea bargain. No, I don't regret it. Initially they came after me with one state jail charge (carries a two year sentence) and two third degree felonies that they were going to ag since I had been down before. They offered me the plea to plead guilty to the state jail and they would dismiss the other two. The reason was they did not have any evidence. At the time, I did not know this. It was not until I got out and did some research that I discovered this. No, I don't regret the plea, I do regret the screwing I took when it came to the knowledge of what the prosecutor did and did not have. In the time before my plea, the detectives kept trying to interview me but I kept invoking my right to remain silent. I guess that is why I was made the offer that I took. Honestly, had they gone after me for the other two, I would have received 20 years that I would have done most if not all of. I would have been 54 by time I would have been released. Life is hard now at 39, I could not imagine how much worse it would have been if I had been 54 and released to the world. There is almost no chance now, job wise, just can't imagine it at 54.

MrsCetina
07-12-2011, 06:04 PM
my husband took one. i cant say i regret it, because if we had gone to trial and lost, he would be in a state prison cell right now instead of working on a motorcycle outside.
but it was definitely a very scary, difficult decision to make.

number one son
07-12-2011, 08:02 PM
the same sitation happend to me... almost to the t. i wish sometimes i would have just takin it to trial.

same thing happened to my son. da told him they would make sure he would get life if he continued to ask for a jury trial. all done while his lawyer was out of town. my sons lawyer was so mad he signed a plea agreement. said they had nothing on my son and that he would of walked away innocent of all charges. how many men and women are in prison unlawfully? :mad:

Paulie'sGirl
07-31-2011, 11:54 AM
Paulie's plea was for 4.75. IF he went to court and was found guilty on both counts, he would face 10-15. We went to court, with a high $$ attorney. 1 day jury selection, 2 days court, plus 8 hours of deliberation.....4 hour on 3rd day, and additional 4 hours the following day. Found NOT guilty on the F3, and guilty on the F6 (which everyone considered a bogus charge). Because of 2 DUI 10 and 11 years ago, he is serving AZ mandatory sentencing of 3 years. BEAT the PLEA!! Total time to serve 2 years, 6 months 17 days.

Debylg
09-29-2011, 12:52 PM
My husband took a plea - scared by the lawyer saying "this will cost you 20-60" if you don't.......I still remember him saying I can't sign this - I didn't do it. Those words ring in my ears 7 years into 20 serve 8 sentence. :( Like some he hadn't had as much as a speeding ticket his adult life. Hind sight is always 20/20 - we should have went to trial.

Marie10
08-01-2013, 04:43 AM
I took a plea deal and I have mixed feelings about it. We were about to go to trial and had a toxicologist to reveal that I was not high at the time of the incident. They found benzo's in my blood work but it was from 3 days prior to the event. A few days before the trial was about to start, my lawyer called and explained his concern about going to trial in the specific county of very, very Religious Conservatives. I finally agreed to take a plea bargain since if the jury convicted me, I could face 10 years.

I ended up taking a plea deal and now after writing this I realize that it's not the plea deal I regret but the fact that my own stupidity got me arrested. I basically got myself arrested by lack of knowledge about the law...

C_G_
01-30-2014, 05:13 AM
I took a plea because I knew I was guilty and felt the state could prove it.

fbopnomore
01-31-2014, 03:07 PM
I pled guilty, but after refusing the government's plea agreement, which wasn't much of an offer anyway. I avoided a trial, and all of the awful things that would have guaranteed. I then got to watch the prosecutors renege by refusing to drop the count they had promised the judge, on the record, they would withdraw.

Lies and dirty tricks were the sum total of the USDOJ's actions, from start to finish, which is business as usual for those "officers of the court".