View Full Version : What is a ''wood''? - Connally TX Prison Unit

philipswifey91
11-21-2010, 01:09 PM
He says he is a wood?? Someone fil me on plz

GeckoBrat
11-21-2010, 01:14 PM
The only time I have heard this phrase used it was referring to something sexual ! :)

CristyTila7
11-21-2010, 01:18 PM
I belive that is a gang afiliated term

Randy'swifey
11-21-2010, 01:33 PM
a wood is a gang, like peckerwood, Ido know its a white only gang, sort of racist I suppose. Im sure someone else will come along and add on to what I just said above.

philipswifey91
11-21-2010, 01:41 PM
Hmmm thanx ladies ! More info is much appreciated :)

decoprincess
11-21-2010, 09:45 PM
That is correct, Peckerwood, but not a gang.
A Wood can refer to a respectable "dude, partner" within the clique
Not so much racist as separatists.
Females may refer to themselves as Featherwood.

kog6713
11-21-2010, 10:19 PM
My husband was talking about this at visit the other day, He said the "wood"s lol are white guys, but thats about all I needed to know so we changed the subject lol....

Tommy2tone
11-21-2010, 10:39 PM
Yep he's just a white guy, the term wood is slang for white, as he's the shot caller for the woods" so he tells other white guys what to do.
I really don't understand why race matters so much in men's prison? I get along with everyone but then again maybe it's because I'm a Spiritual person and believe God lives in and through everyone. God Bless.

birdsgirl
11-21-2010, 10:43 PM
Everyone is correct..."wood" is a reference for "peckerwood" and it's affiliated with "Dirty White Boys"...which in turn is affiliated with "AB". It isn't necessarily a bad thing but just what they refer to each other. Girlfriends/wives are Featherwoods.

Tommy2tone
11-21-2010, 10:43 PM
The only time I have heard this phrase used it was referring to something sexual ! :)

Haa Haa that's the best reply of the week!:thumbsup:

philipswifey91
11-22-2010, 03:20 AM
Ok my man said he is nOT in a gang and that at the connally unit they call white guys ( with respect ) woods that ride solo but have heart? Is he tellin the truth ? I dnt really think he would be in a gang personally , just cuz I kno him butttttt.... More answers are appreciated :). Thanx to all the replies!

OnlyTheLonely
11-22-2010, 03:45 AM
I've been referred to as being a Featherwood by guys in prison with my Man. It doesnt bother me.

He may not be in a gang but I think generally most of the guys tend to stick with their own kind. It may not be 100% but to have any sort of protection from others they almost have to. Lines are drawn every day inside and usually they are forced to pick a side eventually from what I've been told.

philipswifey91
11-22-2010, 04:30 AM
Oh ya I agree completly with wat u say :) my man has said the same thing , but I kno he wouldn't lie to me , and I went to visit him and he told me he was a wood BUT wasn't in a gang ,said that's wat they call white guys that ride solo there , so that's why I was makin sure he wasn't lying to me about being a 'wood' ya kno?

luvinhim24/7
11-22-2010, 04:47 AM
Ok my man said he is nOT in a gang and that at the connally unit they call white guys ( with respect ) woods that ride solo but have heart? Is he tellin the truth ? I dnt really think he would be in a gang personally , just cuz I kno him butttttt.... More answers are appreciated :). Thanx to all the replies!

My hubby has been on that unit for 11 years and I've never heard him refer to that. I'm thinking it's a gang related word but i'm not sure. I would ask him when he calls but I'll wait until our visit.

philipswifey91
11-22-2010, 05:02 AM
Ok let me know what he says plz my man is in echo 10 that's his pod or watever E 10 maybe that will help out too

imisshim1984
11-22-2010, 05:12 AM
all the woods are just people who look out for eachother they dont get in fight or cause trouble they just hang together, my man isnt racist either they just need people to watch theyre back in there... not that anyone is actually watching there back but ur kind od a target if ur alone all the time....

jobezee1
11-22-2010, 07:22 AM

From a white guy who has been incarcerated on a Level V Maximum Unit ,French Robertson, which is what Connally is, I can state with certainty that what your man told you is basically correct.

"Wood" is short for peckerwood, a slang term for white guys in general. It isn't necessarily a gang term. In prison, it usually refers to a white guy who is not affiliated or prospecting for any of the traditional white gangs (AB, AC, Dirty White boys, ect.) but is not a punk either.

More or less, it is a "white guy with heart" who stands his ground and will not back down when challenged; in other words, a guy who will fight to protect his honor. Normally, on a unit like Connally or Robertson, a white guy is not entitled to call himself this unless he has been challenged and has proved that he will fight.

Collectively, "woods" who hang around with each other are not a gang in themselves but are refered to as "the woodpile." The Hispanics have something similar with "Tango" whereby they are not affiliated with any of the traditional Hispanic gangs (Mexican Mafia, TS, Raza) but ride solo and group together by city (Dallas Tango, Houston Tango, ect.).

Be mindful that, even though these folks are not considered a gang in themselves by most of the other prisoners, TDC is begining to take a much closer look at them. They may be riding solo, but if they act together as a group, it will not matter to the administration. They'll may get a gang tag from STG and segregated. If they avoid the tag, it will still be noted and the parole board WILL be able to see suspected gang affiliation. That's all they need to see for an automatic set off. It doesn't have to be confirmed.

I'm not saying that your man shouldn't say he's a "wood." If he is, you can bet the rest of the unit, or at least his wing, already knows it. Just be careful with admin. STG loves to go on fishing expeditions.

philipswifey91
11-22-2010, 10:59 AM
I'm wrong his pod is f 10 hehe and thank u all for the replys I'm much happier with the post before me :) thanx so much !

birdsgirl
11-22-2010, 11:07 AM
I tried to respond to the PM but my phone wouldn't go thru. I think you are right and you were right to suspect he isn't doing anything bad. :)