View Full Version : How many days is 5 months?

ipeterson
03-17-2004, 07:13 PM
I've been sentenced to serve 5 months at an FCI. How many days would that be exactly?

walkingtourist
03-17-2004, 08:55 PM
My sentence is 90 days or three months, so I would guess that your sentence would be 150 days.

Hope that helps.

meowmachine:rolleyes:

greyghost
03-18-2004, 07:36 AM
Actually, a 5 month sentence is just that - a 5 month sentence.

The BOP does not calculate sentences based on days unless the judge sentences to a term of imprisonment based on days.

For example:

If your sentence had began on 2/1/04: the 5 months sentence would end on 6/30/04. This means that you will serve a total of 151 days in BOP custody.

If your sentence began on 3/1/04: the 5 month sentence would end on 7/31/04. This means that you would serve a total of 153 days in BOP custody.

Am I making any sense?

The point being that the BOP calculates sentences based on months and not days.

Greyghost

walkingtourist
03-18-2004, 09:00 AM
Grayghost,

I understand that, with a sentence of ninety days, I am required to serve every last day of it. There is no "good time" for a sentence of this length. Is that accurate? Also, I spent a night in jail after I was arrested. Does BOP count that as one or two days of time served?

meowmachine

MAJAMES02
03-18-2004, 10:57 AM
MY HUSBAND SPENT 12 DAYS IN BROOKLYN, MDC. HE GOT 1/2 OF THOSE DAYS TAKEN OFF. HE ALSO SERVED 5 1/2 MONTHS HOUSE ARREST HE GOT NOTHING FOR IT.

greyghost
03-18-2004, 11:43 AM
I understand that, with a sentence of ninety days, I am required to serve every last day of it. There is no "good time" for a sentence of this length. Is that accurate?

>> You are correct. Any sentence under 1 year (365 days) is served day for day. No good conduct time.

Also, I spent a night in jail after I was arrested. Does BOP count that as one or two days of time served?

>> It depends on what you mean by night. The BOP gives credit for each day that a person spends in 'official detention' (jail). A day is defined as any 'portion' of a day in 'official detention' equals one day of jail credit. In more simple terms, if you spend one minute in official detention, then that counts as one day of jail credit for that day. If a person is arrested at 11:00 p.m., booked into jail and then released at 12:30 a.m., then he will get credit for 2 days. Does that make sense, and/or answer your question?

ipeterson
03-18-2004, 12:43 PM
Thank you for your help. 'm scheduled to report on the 22nd. I was arrested in the morning and released that same day. So that is a credit of one day. My 5-month sentence then means that I should be released in 152 days, either on the 20th or 21st of August 2004. Is that right? GCT doesn't apply to such short sentences, does it?

walkingtourist
03-18-2004, 01:38 PM
The BOP gives credit for each day that a person spends in 'official detention' (jail). A day is defined as any 'portion' of a day in 'official detention' equals one day of jail credit. In more simple terms, if you spend one minute in official detention, then that counts as one day of jail credit for that day. If a person is arrested at 11:00 p.m., booked into jail and then released at 12:30 a.m., then he will get credit for 2 days. Does that make sense, and/or answer your question?

Yes, that makes sense. Military police arrested me at about 12:30 p.m. After processing me, they turned over to U.S. marshals, who processed me again, and delivered me to the county jail. I went to court the next day and was released on $1,000 bond at about 4:30 p.m. Based on your description, that would count as two days of jail credit but on the sheet that the probation officer showed me, I had one day of jail credit, which confused me because I had spent more than twenty-four hours in custody.
meowmachine:confused:

hkieffer
03-18-2004, 01:42 PM
If you delay self-surrender on this sentence so as to include the month of Februaury (in the 5 months) the sentence will be as short as possible.