View Full Version : Receving the collect calls help

bakergirl2323
10-18-2010, 07:29 PM
So ive seen where people have said they are accepting and recieving collect calls from there inmates without using a prepaid account and im just not understanding how i went and got a verizon phone a cingular phone a straight talk phone and a trac phone none of these still will not let me accept the collect calls i dont understand why i have to go get a prepaid account just to be able to accept these calls but all my other friends inmates they are able to accept them without using a prepaid account im lost???? can anybody help i went through cca on the prepaid adn it was 35 dollars outrageouse only got to talk to my hubby for like 20minutes all together just want to know how can i accep tthese calls without a prepaid account

Dric's BabyGirl
10-18-2010, 07:47 PM
Nearly all cell phones block collect calls, I don't know any pre-paids phones that allow them. Anyone that's getting collect calls is more than likely using their home phone line or they have a cell plan that they add additional money to for the cost of collect calls. And just so you know collect calls are EXTREMELY expensive compared to prepay plans. When Dric was in County collect calls were 10.00 for 15 minutes. With the prepay account it was 1.13 for 15 minutes. Call prices vary depending on how far you are from the jail/prison - what phone LATA you're in. But I can guarantee you that no matter how much you'd pay for a prepay plan, you'll at the very least triple that cost on a collect call.

patchouli
10-19-2010, 09:08 AM
You have to set up a pre-paid accont with Correctional Billing Service (https://www.correctionalbillingservices.com/). You'll give them the phone numbers that you want to accept calls on when you set up your account. You can accept them on cell phones (in ky) because they aren't "technically" collect calls, they're prepaid. Some facilities sell phone cards and an inmate can call any number they want. You are always given the option to "accept/deny/block" calls from correctional facilities when an inmate calls your phone whether you have a prepaid account or the inmate has a calling card, its just part of the process.

bakergirl2323
10-20-2010, 08:53 PM
my friends use cingular prepaid and when there hubby calls they press 1 and it conects them without a prepaid account unfortunatly where my hubby is correctional billing isint accepted i called today and thats what they said! so i dont know im so lost but i know everyphone ive bought since hes been in hasent worked at all. guess i just need to stick it out got only 42 days left im sure i can manage. but if you all hear anything about those collect calls please let me know. id really like for him to be able to call and talk to his little ones

Dric's BabyGirl
10-20-2010, 09:34 PM
If you thought that the pre-pay account was expensive you'll be in for a shock if you can even find a phone that will accept collect calls. You're best bet is to get a cheap pre-paid cell with an area code that matches where ever your husband is, and then set up a pre-pay account with CCA, GTL, MCI, Securutus, whoever that jail/prison uses and get your calls that way.

If you don't want to get a pre-paid cell with a new area code you can get a local number through someplace like Cons Call Home and then the call gets routed to your cell. There are a lot of options out there you just need to be willing to look and find the plan(s) that best suit your needs.

patchouli
10-21-2010, 08:37 AM
I'm thinking that maybe your husband isn't in prison but a county facility. County facilities often use a different phone provider than the prison system. Call the facility and ask them what phone provider they use for inmate calls. I've never heard a cell phone that accepts collect calls. I have CBS, a prepaid account, but I still have to press 1 to accept the call.

bakergirl2323
10-21-2010, 11:48 AM
yes hes in a county jail,and im going to try changing the area code on it to see if that will work i know when i went through cca i think it was i only got to talk to him for a short amount of time probley due to it not being a local call wish i would have known that sooner.lol time to go buy another phone thanks you 2 for the help

bakergirl2323
11-02-2010, 12:58 PM
So i just got another prepaid phone i got a local number where the jail is.. what do i do now do i still need to go through a prepaid account service or will i be able to accept the calls directly without using any services?

thugwife
11-02-2010, 03:16 PM
You are NOT going to get straight calls WITHOUT CBS, call the jail, ask what service they go thru and do it that way.

The only phone service that allowed straight calls to come thru was MCI, it was on my bill and they were HIGH.

95% of KY uses CBS. The other few use GTL.

And even some still do calling cards. If his jail does calling cards, I would assume he would tell you.

Instead of you pissing money away on all these useless cell phones.

Regardless if you get a prepaid phone, you are going to be paying for the phone minutes ONTOP of the prison call, so it really aint that great a deal. Unless you get one that actually has free weekends and set him to call then.

bakergirl2323
11-02-2010, 05:03 PM
evercom is what they go threw where hes at blahh in the last 116 days ive spent well over 400 dollars on diff phones thinking id be able to accept them straight out without a prepaid service. thanks thug wife i wish i would have known all this sooner before all my money went to waste so how do i go about setting up the prepaid with ever com just call or can i do it online?

thugwife
11-02-2010, 05:50 PM
you have to call them to set up a account 1-800-844-6591. I normally mail personal checks to their address, because they charge you 8.00 by processing your credit card. I could take 4 calls for that. I hate that you had to pay all that money on those phones, had I seen this thread sooner, I could have helped you.

patchouli
11-02-2010, 06:22 PM
Evercom and CBS is the same compnay, the link to their website is posted above. Once you call and set up the account (and pay that extra fee) you can mail money orders to their address--there is no extra fee for that.

eelder0013
11-17-2010, 01:48 PM
my friends use cingular prepaid and when there hubby calls they press 1 and it conects them without a prepaid account unfortunatly where my hubby is correctional billing isint accepted i called today and thats what they said! so i dont know im so lost but i know everyphone ive bought since hes been in hasent worked at all. guess i just need to stick it out got only 42 days left im sure i can manage. but if you all hear anything about those collect calls please let me know. id really like for him to be able to call and talk to his little ones

I have a t-mobile phone and my husband was able to call me collect one time for a charge of $10.00. We got to talk for 15 mins. Thats one option.

patchouli
11-17-2010, 08:46 PM
I have a t-mobile phone and my husband was able to call me collect one time for a charge of $10.00. We got to talk for 15 mins. Thats one option.

$10 for a 15 minute call is not an option, not at this house anyway :( Its all about the $$$ with the phone service providers and most of us cannot/will not pay that. Even CBS/Evercom is cheaper than that, but their profit margin is still way to high, considering that they also give "kickbacks" to the facilities. Incarceration is a big money ticket item for the state.:cool:

POSTMASTER
11-28-2010, 12:44 PM
I hope you did not purchase a number through a company, according to them thats fraud activity.

lovingwifewaiti
11-28-2010, 12:48 PM
If you thought that the pre-pay account was expensive you'll be in for a shock if you can even find a phone that will accept collect calls. You're best bet is to get a cheap pre-paid cell with an area code that matches where ever your husband is, and then set up a pre-pay account with CCA, GTL, MCI, Securutus, whoever that jail/prison uses and get your calls that way.

If you don't want to get a pre-paid cell with a new area code you can get a local number through someplace like Cons Call Home and then the call gets routed to your cell. There are a lot of options out there you just need to be willing to look and find the plan(s) that best suit your needs. That's what I did. I have a trac phone with an area code for the prison he is in. I use pre-paid account and my calls went from $25.00 a call to 3-6$ a call! BIG DIFFERENCE!!:idea:

foolsjourney
12-03-2010, 03:09 PM
Hi, I have a suggestion...you would still have to set up your prepaid account but if you use a magic jack phone you can choose your area code/town...so all the calls will be local...Should be cheaper.

foolsjourney
12-08-2010, 04:28 AM
It's all about what phone company you have. Some phone companies will go ahead and add the collect calls onto your regular phone bill, some will not. When your phone company will not you have to set up the prepaid account. A lot of phone companies have a flat rate fee for each month, even for long distance (mine has 180 long distance included with the plan), they don't really send you a regular bill so that is why everyone can't have just a call straight thru deal. Let me only say when I had a different provider they did that, but there was a pre set limit that they decided on...and when we reached that for the month they wouldn't allow anymore incoming calls, without notice. They didn't tell me there was a limit and the cut it off the day before my birthday one year, and MAN, they nearly got that mans eye poked out for not calling on my birthday !!

Franksgirl4ever
12-08-2010, 04:48 AM
Just make sure your prepaid number is local to the facility where he is....if it isn't, have the number changed...

gizzle75
12-16-2010, 08:58 AM
i have a contract with t-mobile i have to go through cbs as well, my calls at first were $5.00 for 15 min, but i have changed my # to a Eddyville # since thats where he is and now my calls are $2.04 for 15 mins. i really didnt want to change my number since i had it for 15+ yrs but i have to talk to him at least two/three week days and then Saturday and Sunday. so it was worth it!!!

cowcreekirvine
12-20-2010, 05:59 PM
okay you need to go to evercoms website and do rate a call and see if his location is on the list .i pay 2.04 for 15 min from wkcc.