View Full Version : United States Penitentiary - Big Sandy

Pages : [1] 2 3

fudgiesgirl
06-03-2004, 05:05 PM
If anyone lives around charlotte, NC even if it is a couple hours maybe we could get togther and ride to KY together. I live in upstate SC. Not many responses yet and i would like to find someone who has a loved one there in Big Sandy. I am willing to drive.

girl81599
06-01-2006, 02:24 PM
bigsandy still on lockdown after a week, someone tell me is this normal

WaitN4Him
06-01-2006, 02:41 PM
I don't know about Big Sandy, but yes it is normal for prisons to be on lockdown for several days. I know that KSP was locked down for about 4 days over the weekend. Hang in there. It will pass.

kba246
06-01-2006, 07:39 PM
Yes it is normal and usually only last for short periods.... just wait it out.... keep calling to find out

rascalnky
06-03-2006, 07:01 AM
The ladies are right it is normal, alot of times when the holidays are coming the warden things people will start thinking to much about what their missing in the real world and the rabbit will run.

lisa75
06-04-2006, 09:18 PM
bigsandy still on lockdown after a week, someone tell me is this normal

I heard it will last till June 11/

sandrastrng
11-16-2006, 10:18 PM
Hi everyone, my son is in USP BigSandy, Ky. They were in lockdown for two weeks because of a homicide, then after an investigation was completed the lockdown was ended. They are now in lockdown again, due to another homicide. An investigation is ongoing. My son called today and let me know this. I dont know what happened this time, but two homicides in three weeks is kind of scary. He did say it was much nicer that USP Atlanta though. Hoped this info helped. sandrastrng/oh

wegies
11-23-2006, 09:41 AM
My husband is in the camp at Big Sandy. He said the rumor was that the most recent homicide that caused the current lockdown occurred in the SHU and the guys tried to hide it at first. However, rumors are not always reliable. The number of recent homicides is rather disturbing.

abenadiva
03-02-2007, 08:03 AM
Does anyone have information on why Big Sandy is locked down and cancelling this weekends visits? There had been a couple of murder's last fall and I have a loved one there that I'm concerned about.

Thanks.

og'sbride
03-12-2007, 04:32 AM
I reiceived a letter from a friend 2 days ago... He said there had been a stabbing but i am not sure when it was... maybe that is why its on locked down...

THAT RIDER
03-28-2007, 08:11 PM
I was wondering if anyone had any info. on Big Sandy? I will be going to see my husband on Easter weekend, and I was wondering how it like going to visit up there? What can I wear and cant wear up there

abenadiva
03-30-2007, 01:03 PM
I went to Big Sandy in January. The guard was very nice. You can only wear nylon sweatsuits so I had to go to the local Wal-mart to get clothing to comply as I wore a cotton sweatsuit. They also have an ionic sensor that they rub over your clothing to check for drug residue. There are lockers to lock your extras like coat keys ect. so make sure you have a quarter. They have a machine that issues a plastic card for you to put money on so that you can purchase vending machine items and microwaves for heating pizzas and other items. They take pictures. I wanted to spend as much time as possible and they were not real sticklers for time. The seats were very hard!!! When you go, If your husband knows Dee Jay B/4 please ask him to pass on my love!

abenadiva
03-30-2007, 01:04 PM
The prison is on top of a mountain in the middle of nowhere. I was very sad when I saw it because I realized that many of the people there don't deserve to be in such an isolated and heartbreaking place.

abenadiva
04-03-2007, 09:09 AM
Oh, hopefully when I wrote u can only wear nylon sweatsuits you didn't take it as thats the only attire. You can wear jeans in fact that's what I went to Wal-mart and purchased. Sleeves. The best place to get the complete dress code is on the usbop.gov website.

Dees_Girl
06-15-2007, 05:32 PM
First off I would like to say "Hello" to everyone...This weekend has finally arrived, yet I am so extremely nervous, because I don't know what to expect. My husband was transferred to USP Big Sandy at the end of April and just regained visitation privileges this month. I have always been extremely nervous when visiting new facilities, because each one is operated so differently even though they are all in the FBOP system. I would appreciate any and all information on USP Big Sandy. Thanks!!

Kimi06
09-25-2007, 12:12 PM
My brother is @ USP BIG SANDY they are on constant lockdowns
does anyone know about this federal facility.

mzpeachez
09-26-2007, 04:56 PM
My BF was there for over a year, and I visited there 5 times. Every since they moved alot of DC inmates there, its been horrible. Its hard to plan a visit there, knowing at any moment, a lock down can occur.

TheGeneralsWife
10-19-2007, 03:59 PM
My friend just let there from the SHU, because it was so bad. They were always fighting, rioting and stuff like that. I just hope this new place is better for him.

mzpeachez
10-20-2007, 10:24 PM
I wish him luck dear...

Kimi06
10-22-2007, 12:37 PM
I hope my brother leaves their soon on xfer back to our home town in philadelphia pennsylvania because he is just constantly on guard and he
sent me a picture of him and a friend and they look exhausted.:o
Like they never get a full night rest due to the fighting etc he is still
waiting to find out about his move this way he will be closer to the rest
of the family because right now from Phila PA to Inez Kentucky is 10hours.
Hopefully when he is xfer they will put him in USP Lewisburg or even better
FDC if his security is lowered because my brother is absolutely miserable him and his cell mate , they both get along great so he said that is a plus:) I just pray for relief for both of them.:(

TheGeneralsWife
10-24-2007, 12:32 AM
I know. My friend was transfered in the SHU at the new facility and even his letters are different. He sounds like the anxiety is gone. Did you see in another post in the News section that a bunch pf guys were indicted from Big Sandy for murder, attempted, dope and having weapons. I pray for these guys.

Kimi06
10-24-2007, 03:12 PM
Thegeneralswife wow I did not hear about that in then news that is crazy??? sad part is generalswife u know that alot of these guards are
allowing that, u know have to be because there is no way a inmate or
a visitor would have that kind of pull to do that.
Its a sad world we live in not all the CO's because I know some good ones
but a lot of them need to be locked up in prison theirselves,( u know)
If you could gear me to that article I would love to read it.
I know I read 1 about a inmate their at big sandy from miami that
murdered another my brother said even minding your own buisness
you are forced to protect yourself everyday, you have no choice
he said if you are weak they will step all over you literally.
Isnt that awful , so you ask yourself how is a inmate suppose to
carry out clean time when they cant because of staff and other inmates
who dont care, no rehabilitation whatsoever please pray for my brother.
Thanks for the info too.

Kimi06

Mongo's Mama
10-25-2007, 12:01 PM
My man just got moved there a little while back. I'm hoping to go up for my first visit this weekend.

We use to have a club (me and some others that had loved ones where my man was at before). When the clubhouse got moved to prisonville we kept the club going there. It's a great group. When I found out my man was getting transferred I wanted to start a new group for Big Sandy, and hopefully I will be able to.

If any of you, or anyone who has ties to Big Sandy, want to make/join a group over at Prisonville, please let me know. It is very helpful in keeping each other connected and informed about what is going on.

kentuckyangel
10-25-2007, 09:22 PM
My brother is @ USP BIG SANDY they are on constant lockdowns
does anyone know about this federal facility. Yes as my husband was there last year and you are so right they are on constant lockdowns,and get this when my grandmother passed away they never gave him the message,as when he called the next ady i was crying and he new something was wrong.I just will be glad when he gets home as he goes up for parole in December 2007 and then home free yeppers.:angry:

masseyd
01-07-2008, 03:20 PM
Anyone have information about Big Sandy minimum security camp in Kentucky? My brother is being sent there. We thought he'd be closer but he was sent over 500 miles from his family. We're really going to have a hard time visiting him because that kind of travel will be a financial burden for us.

DM

kimkeng02
01-29-2008, 10:10 AM
How was your first Big Sandy visit? I live in GA too. Please share some Big Sandy stories.

ShaneK
02-24-2008, 08:05 AM
I am writing on my brothers name, he went thru Big Sandy on a transfer, and coming from Atlanta, he said Sandy was the absolute worst, its on big SHU Unit, he said there is stains of blood on the walls that wouldnt come clean, its a nasty place and he is now at FCI RayBrook and cruising thru the rest of sentence.

Su Corazon
03-07-2008, 07:21 PM
My almostson is there and I have gone to visit from home (13 1/2 hour drive) and twice got almost there just to be called from the chapliain that they are in lockdown. I am lucky that he has pull and can have someone call me. One of those times I called myself and was told I can go visit. Was called 2 hours before leaving by the chaplain that his block was on lockdown. I would have driven all the way there just to have to turn around and come back. I have visited two four times, second time could not get in because I took my Sudafed before and handled it with my fingers nad it showed up as methamphetamine (Sudafed is the active incredient in Meth) and could not get in. Now I do not even take it with me when I go just to be sure I get in. The guards (one in particular) will let some inmates have a long kiss with their spouses and others he will get on their case if they have one just as long with theirs. It is very very unfair during visits. One thing I hatte is that the food is not for microwave in the machines but they have a microwave there to heat it. We are there 7 hours so why do they not get microwaveable food for the visit hall? It is the 21st century where we can get almost everything microwaveable. Anyway, I was told Big Sandy is the worst, it is a Level 6. But my husband is at a level 7 USP in West Virginia and it has no programs and nothing for them to do there. At least Big Sandy has a good law library and many programs. Bad thing is that they have to go to bed at 9 pm or rather it is lights out at 9 pm. My inmate had a stroke and I was never called and he is not monitored like he should be. He had to pay to go to sick call regardless of his history. At leaast out here all people have medicaid and in prison they have not even that.

Eia
03-12-2008, 12:57 PM
Hi Folks!
My husband was transferred to Big Sandy in the new year and already he has been having problems and has been in SHU...Very tense and volatile atmosphere from what he say's..So good to hear about the law library though-that could come in useful too!..Oh yeah! He said that sometimes if the co's feel like it,they'll lock them down as early as 8.00pm...Ooo..And am I the only one who has alot of interference on their phone line?

Frankieboi
03-22-2008, 03:08 AM
my dad is there and the phone quality is the worse, I can hear other people talking.

littleone87
04-16-2008, 08:54 PM
Does anyone know how the phone systems work in Big Sandy?Who pays for the calls and how much?

Eia
04-20-2008, 01:15 PM
They get 300 minutes a month call time(400 in nov and dec).The standard thing is for the inmate to transfer funds from his commissary account to his phone account so that, he can then call family and friends that are on his approved phone list.I send money via Western Union and he gets the funds within a couple of hours-sometimes within minutes.But you can also send via JPay,and money orders can be sent to an address in Des Moines..You can find this info on the FBOP website...Collect calls are very expensive,so please do not try that if at all possible..Think about setting up a call plan such as Vonage etc..Even more savings after the small initial outlay.

Kimi06
05-21-2008, 10:40 AM
My almostson is there and I have gone to visit from home (13 1/2 hour drive) and twice got almost there just to be called from the chapliain that they are in lockdown. I am lucky that he has pull and can have someone call me. One of those times I called myself and was told I can go visit. Was called 2 hours before leaving by the chaplain that his block was on lockdown. I would have driven all the way there just to have to turn around and come back. I have visited two four times, second time could not get in because I took my Sudafed before and handled it with my fingers nad it showed up as methamphetamine (Sudafed is the active incredient in Meth) and could not get in. Now I do not even take it with me when I go just to be sure I get in. The guards (one in particular) will let some inmates have a long kiss with their spouses and others he will get on their case if they have one just as long with theirs. It is very very unfair during visits. One thing I hatte is that the food is not for microwave in the machines but they have a microwave there to heat it. We are there 7 hours so why do they not get microwaveable food for the visit hall? It is the 21st century where we can get almost everything microwaveable. Anyway, I was told Big Sandy is the worst, it is a Level 6. But my husband is at a level 7 USP in West Virginia and it has no programs and nothing for them to do there. At least Big Sandy has a good law library and many programs. Bad thing is that they have to go to bed at 9 pm or rather it is lights out at 9 pm. My inmate had a stroke and I was never called and he is not monitored like he should be. He had to pay to go to sick call regardless of his history. At leaast out here all people have medicaid and in prison they have not even that.

My brother is here and this prison is NOTORIOUS for that LOCKDOWN CRAP. I also have a drive 12.5 hours its ridiculous.:mad: they have no regards for families that have a long haul and with gas prices man!:angry:

scandulosladi
09-22-2008, 01:33 AM
we are also from philly and my son was sent there he says don't even try to visit
after 18 months he can put in for a transfer hopefully to caanan in pa but his codefendants are in many of the closer to home places . wish him luck he's got a long long time if it's up to the feds i have faith in thier appeal

Dees_Girl
09-29-2008, 10:45 PM
My husband was at USP Big Sandy for about 18 months, until he was transferred out last week......thank God! The entire time he was there it seemed like they were on and off lockdown. This made visiting extremely hard. On one occassion I traveled the 9 hours to visit only to find out that they had cancelled the visits that weekend. Plus on top of that, everytime they went on lockdown I just prayed that my husband wasn't caught up in the middle of the controversy. I am very thankful that he was able to transfer out to a FCI.

scandulosladi
10-08-2008, 07:14 PM
:angry:is there somewhere you can call to see if they are on lock down?
we r also from the philly area and my son is at big sandy . ihear he haS TO BE THERE 18 months before in can request a transfer to some where closer . he has a long sentence so if anyone has any infro please share it
THANKS

AMM_Lost
10-08-2008, 07:53 PM
I do not know about that prison but when my honey was at englewood I would just call the main switchboard to get info. It would be better though if you knew the name of his counselor. They tend to be more helpful.

Zelda50
10-08-2008, 09:55 PM
Big Sandy is on lockdown due to an inmate fight. One inmate was stabbed and sent to an outside hospital. That was October 5th and they're still locked down. Sorry to be the bearer of bad tidings. You can still write to him. Zelda

tolong
10-09-2008, 10:21 AM
I got a call last night and this morning from my BF at Big Sandy USP. If all goes well today he's suppose to call again tonight...you never know.

danielle1617
10-11-2008, 02:15 AM
My BF is at Big S and there is a # u can call 2 c if they r on LD but no use cause it just rings, it sucks cause they have very frequent LD's, and I live 4.5 hrs away so u never know. i don't have the # on hand but u can go on the bop site, look up big sandy and there should be a # u can call. hope this helps u out.

danielle1617
10-11-2008, 02:38 AM
:(My future husband is at Big Sandy and it is awful. I know he can handle his own, but u never know what can happen. I worry about him every minute of the day. Anyone out there have a loved one at Big Sandy?

tolong
10-11-2008, 07:18 PM
my BF's been there for over a year. He's OK but fed prisons all around are getting bad. He's in the challenge program so his unit is safer than some of the other ones. I pray he stays safe everyday. If you go to visit, stay at Haven of Rest! It's the greatest.

LadyKisses
10-14-2008, 11:36 AM
my baby was at USP BIG SANDY but thank goodness he is leaving thier he said he hated that place with a passion all the fighting and stuff going on....He is heading out to california..like that is good for me being in sc..hahah but big sandy i have never been and kinda glad i didnt he said it was awful place

ImANurse
10-14-2008, 12:05 PM
USP Big Sandy is close to HELL. Between the five minute lifts from LD, the gangs (becoming a HUGE problem in all the Hi security USP's if you ask me), and the every day BOP BS.....it's a Blessing the man hasn't lost control of himself.

I know prisons dont usually get talked about in a positive light.....but some places are better than others. I have NEVER ONCE heard anything good or positive about Big Sandy :(

WonderWoman
10-17-2008, 07:37 PM
Hi there,
does anyone have directions on how to get to USP Big Sandy? I cannot find a map or directions ANYWHERE!! I know it is supposed to be at 1197 Airport Rd, but it doesn't show up on any mapping program. Thanks for any info. :-)

ImANurse
10-17-2008, 07:41 PM
I will send you a msg,

But for anyone with that question...

Get the directions to any of the hotels around the area....and ask the ppl. They will kow what you want before you ask, lol

tolong
10-20-2008, 09:57 AM
The directions are Rte 40 to Rte 645 to Rte 3, and there's a sign on the highway to turn off of rte 3. You won't find airport road on any of the maps. Haven of Rest is where I stayed last time..it's $25.00 for the week-end and they have tons of food your welcome to prepare and eat. Did I mention that it's clean and the support of the other woman there is great. It's about 1/2 mile past the prison and is much closer than the hotels. They were in the process of opening a new building in Sept.

tolong
10-21-2008, 12:44 PM
Does anyone know who the new warden is going to be at USP Big Sandy? Why they're getting a new one and when it's going to happen? I heard this month. Thanks

ImANurse
10-21-2008, 12:55 PM
I dont know yet, but I haven't asked who the new warden is/will be. I can't remember exactly now, but I think Hector Rios is txr to Atwater

Zelda50
10-22-2008, 10:44 AM
USP Big Sandy went on lockdown 10/21/08.

tolong
10-22-2008, 11:43 AM
Thanks Zelda...do you have anyother info on why? I didn't get a call last night, but I don't get one on Tues or Thurs anyway, so I didn't know. If you have any additional info, please post it.

ImANurse
10-22-2008, 11:47 AM
Yes, they are--staff assault, per phone call.

If you are planning visits this weekend, call....if you know Big Sandy well enough, you know that they will prob be LD for a while for this one...

tolong
10-22-2008, 12:11 PM
Thanks Nurse..no I can't visit very often, so no plans this week-end, but on Thanksgiving, I pray they all behave themselves. I think the whole system is starting to break down!! Did you call and get the info, or did your inmate call you?

ImANurse
10-22-2008, 07:59 PM
I called and got the info to verify it after I saw the update here: http://www.cpl33.info/id29.html

I plan on a Thanksgiving visit as well, and I relaly pray that everyone behaves up there. I think I know the problem...those who act up dont give a care because their visits/phone calls are not interrrupted....me thinks they have little to no love from outside the gates.

tolong
10-23-2008, 07:09 AM
Good Morning Nurse, I PM'd you with Haven of Rest info. Yeah, your right about how important it is to have someone to love. The first time I went to vist and knew there were over 1400 men in there and only appox 25 of them were getting visits, it was both extreamly sad and shocking. This expierence has opened my eyes to a whole population of souls society would simply like to forget about...only I won't let them because I have choisen to be thier voice.

WonderWoman
10-23-2008, 04:21 PM
Thanks for all the info on Big Sandy! I did manage to find it. It was off Rt 3 just south of 645, like you said. I had a great visit with my friend Al. Thankfully they were not locked down. I can't believe how empty the visiting room was. Not enough people, but it is in the middle of nowhere, with no transportation. There were people visiting from Iowa, Massachussets, all over the country. I wish I could see my friend every week, but it is just too far and gas is too expensive to make it feasible! Anyway, I hope it won't be over another year before I get to see him again...

ImANurse
10-23-2008, 04:26 PM
WW,

I'm glad you got to visit. The only time I ever saw a lot of visitors were on the holidays.....most of them hardly ever get visits....just like tolong said

tolong
10-24-2008, 09:53 AM
Nurse, can I ask you where you travel from..what state? I know Zion would be way to far :) Also, if you need Haven's phone number PM me.

ImANurse
10-26-2008, 06:48 AM
Tolong,

Yeah, not quite at Zion yet :D

I'm traveling from Alabama, and I do have Haven's phone number

I never did thank you for the information....so: THANK YOU AND GOD BLESS!

tolong
10-26-2008, 01:07 PM
Your quite welcome Nurse,

I still haven't gotten a call, so I guess the men are still on LD. I hate when they do this, cause we spread our calls out so they'll last till the end of the month, and you watch, the LD will end on 11/1, so we loose all thoose minutes. I swear that prison has a list of things to do just to add more stress on everyone!

ImANurse
10-26-2008, 01:16 PM
Big Sandy gets locked down more than any other BOP facility that I know...it's crazy.

But, as I said...I believe a lot of it is...most of the guys in there don't have much to hold on to or care about.

Sad sad sad

tolong
10-26-2008, 02:16 PM
Nurse, are you gonna try to stay at Haven on Thanksgiving?

ImANurse
10-26-2008, 02:20 PM
It depends on how many of our kids will try to come...I don't want to come and take over

tolong
10-26-2008, 02:31 PM
The more the merrier...are we the only one's with with inmates at BS? WOW BS, that's to funny.

ImANurse
10-26-2008, 04:03 PM
It seems like we are the only ones, lol...or at least the only ones to really talk about it!

tolong
10-28-2008, 09:28 AM
Hey Nurse...They're off LD. I got a call last night, but they had to lock in at 7:00. It made my day! I pray all is well with your inmate.

ImANurse
10-28-2008, 01:51 PM
Oh...yeah hubby called me last night sounding all relieved! I hope they stay off for a while...I might surprise him with a visit this weekend!

dizsqueen
11-02-2008, 06:18 PM
i am so glad that i found you ladies:)
my man is over there and the constant lockdowns is crazy...plus he tells me that big sandy is the WORST bop....i cant wait for him to get out of there ASAP

tolong
11-03-2008, 07:49 AM
Welcome dizsqueen and it's really great to have another woman to chat with.

Zelda50
11-04-2008, 11:25 PM
They're in the process of choosing a new warden right now.

Sexydollbaby
02-11-2009, 03:37 PM
I would like driving directions from Maryland to USP Big Sandy & Near By Hotels.

tolong
02-13-2009, 04:31 PM
Hey Baby...did my mapquest link help? http://www.mapquest.com/maps?1c=Baltimore&1s=MD&2c=Inez&2s=KY

Astarflyr
02-16-2009, 08:11 PM
Basically not hard to find. Prison is south of Inez on RT 3 on the Martin/Johnson County Line........ Ask anyone where the airport (or prison) is at and they will tell you..... Airport is at the same turnoff on RT 3. First road on the left going up the hill is the prison, Airport is a mile later.......

The only decent hotel is at the next intersection north of the prison (5 miles or so)...... Come out of the prison onto RT 3 (the main road) turn right and head north. I forget what it is, but its a national brand and usually not too full.....

Anything to do (food, etc) is south of the prison at Pikeville.

More questions, PM me... I don't get here too often....

Mark H

Sexydollbaby
02-19-2009, 12:34 AM
Thank you Tolong & Astarflyr

coldheartedbitc
06-03-2009, 07:31 PM
My husband is on his way there to stay. Does anyone has a loved one there or has been there recently?

dizsqueen
06-05-2009, 11:54 AM
My husband is there and I was just visiting out there last weekend.
Its the worst BOP in the country, they are constantly going on lockdowns for fightings, stabbings etc. I hate everything about Big Sandy and can't wait for my man to transfer out.

coldheartedbitc
06-05-2009, 10:42 PM
Its the worst BOP in the country, they are constantly going on lockdowns for fightings, stabbings etc. I hate everything about Big Sandy and can't wait for my man to transfer out.

How long is he gonna be there?

coldheartedbitc
06-07-2009, 04:33 AM
He was sentence 8 years, but isnt it 18 months and then he can put in for a transfer?

dizsqueen
06-08-2009, 07:24 AM
Yeah its 18 months, but it has to be clean time. So if he gets a write-up then the clock goes back to the beginning. In addition to the 18 months, he also has to get his points down (I'm not sure what the points # is thats required to transfer out). My dude got a write up last year, so we had to start the whole 18 months all over again...it sucks!

i love strange
06-17-2009, 10:12 AM
my husband just arrived in big sandy from Lewisburg is it worth me even going out there due to the lock downs it would be hard to try and plan a trip. He only has 23 months left.

dizsqueen
06-17-2009, 05:38 PM
Are you going to fly? My suggestion to you would be to purchase your ticket with insurance on it, so that when if the prison goes on lockdown, you can call the airline and switch the departure date on your ticket. With the insurance, you won't have to pay a re-schedule fee (it's like $100).

Dees_Girl
06-19-2009, 12:59 AM
My husband was at USP Big Sandy, but he was transferred out to FCI Bennettsville about 10 months ago. It seems like they are on constant lockdown and it is horrible. I loved seeing my husband, but I hated the location, the drive, and the facility. I always called before making my long haul up the mountain, but that didn't stop them from locking down early one Saturday morning because of a Fog alert. Needless to say I drove 9 hours one way and he was on lockdown all weekend because of the fog. Good Luck!

missinghim97
06-19-2009, 07:43 AM
Does anyone know if Big Sandy is on lockdown? I haven't heard from my husband since Wed.

Zelda50
06-19-2009, 06:43 PM
I have not heard they are on lockdown, but on Wednesday afternnoon, there was a fight between 2 inmates on the yard and both had injuries (though not taken for outside medical treatment) and then, later, a fight between 4 inmates on a unit - they were taken to SHU also. That's info I read posted by a C.O. I know that may not be what you want to hear... hope you get your call and he's not involved! Z.

missinghim97
06-19-2009, 07:39 PM
Thanks Zelda. I called and found out he is in the SHU. My main concern is that he is not badly hurt. I guess all I can do is wait for him to write. Thank you for the information even though it is not what I want to hear. Knowing something is better than not knowing anything.

Zelda50
06-19-2009, 09:56 PM
The report said the four inmates who were fighting had "no injuries" and the 2 who were injured were "medically assessed" so it sounds like minor ones. Of course, your guy may be in the SHU for something else - or even as a bystander so the SIS can try to get information. There's no way of knowing. Sorry to hear he's in the SHU - that's always worrisome. Z.

missinghim97
06-28-2009, 12:33 PM
Hi Zelda, I still have not heard from my husband, it has been over a week. Does it usually take this long? Doesn't he get at least one phone call? I have not received a letter or call. Thanks.

dizsqueen
06-28-2009, 10:13 PM
I just called up there and they are not on lockdown. Hope that helps

i love strange
07-05-2009, 02:19 PM
how long does it take to get mail from there? my husband says he wrote but still haven't got any mail still. also his calls i get like 1 a week

tolong
07-05-2009, 02:31 PM
I get my mail pretty quick..I do know my BF mentioned they don't send it on Sat's, so he'll try to get it in before pickup on fri and then wait till monday. If he mails something on Mon, I usually get it Wed or Thurs in Maryland. He called yesturday.
I noticed your in Calif. so maybe the mail does take longer to get to you!

dizsqueen
07-05-2009, 08:47 PM
For me, it takes 3 days for his mail to arrive. But what I just found out recently, I sent him some pics and although they were somewhat suggestive, nothing was showing...Anyways, apparently the mailroom decided that they were inappropriate and they didnt give him the pictures, but they also didnt send the pics back to me. So, right now, I dont know where my semi nekkid pictures are! Just something to think about....

Tolong, how have you been? I have great news...I am getting married:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Zelda50
07-05-2009, 09:59 PM
Did he get a mail rejection slip regarding the photos?? If so, he should send a cop-out either appealing the decision - or requesting the photos be sent back to you. Maybe they'll show up then, either with him or with you! That would be a weird feeling - not knowing where they are!! Z.

tolong
07-06-2009, 07:03 AM
Hey diz...a big congratulations! I see you made it up, down and around the mountains to BS..that's Big Sandy not Bull $h*t, or are they one in the same!! Did you stay at Haven of Rest when you go? When are you getting married, at the prison or is he getting out soon?

dizsqueen
07-06-2009, 08:23 AM
Zelda--they never gave him any notification that the pictures had arrived. It has been about a month now. In the past, I have sent him books that were rejected and they gave him a rejection slip and sent the books back. However, this whole incident surrounding the pics are completely LUDACRIS to me!!! He told me that a similar situation happened to his celly; his wife sent him some pics and the mailroom held them for 2 months before he finally went to the mailroom and inquired on the photos. Thats when the mailroom staff took the photos out of a rejected bin that they have and he ripped up the pics. CRAZY!!!!!!!!!

Tolong--THANK YOU!!!! I have been up to BS (yes its BS for both ;)) 3 times and I am planning another trip in 2 weeks. I always stay at the Super 8 but this time, I am going to have to economize (aka I am broke:eek:) and stay at the Haven for $25 a night! He has another 5 years so we are jumpin the broom while he's in jail and then having another wedding when he comes home!

tolong
07-06-2009, 09:31 AM
Hey diz..once you stay at Haven, your gonna ask yourself why you hadn't done it every time to save bucks. It's great to be around the other people going thru the same crap. I want to go visit..he was put in for a transfer over a month ago and he's really stressed cause a bunch of them getting transfered are ending up at three rivers in texas. Apparently thier repopulating that prison after problems. He & I have talked to his case worker about his elegible for a closer to home transfer...what's up with that. BS is 9 hrs away and 3 rivers is 26 hrs...I told him it took every ounce of energy to talk to this woman...typical beauocradite idiot!!!!! She's telling me the program statement says "closer to home 18 months from release..I'm looking right at the program statement that says "closer to home 18 months after the desigation without getting into any trouble", so I say OK, he's about 19 months to release. It was like talking to a brick wall. IDIOT!!!!
2 weddings Huh? 1 Honeymoon!!! That will be the one that counts..you go girl.

dizsqueen
07-06-2009, 04:56 PM
Are you serious???!!!! Please don't even tell me that. Diz 18 months of clean time is coming up in a few months at which point, he was going to put in for a transfer to get closer to home. Right now he is 18 hours away!!! We still have 5 years left on this bid. So are you telling me that when he puts in for this transfer, he might get sent FURTHER away from home???? I can't even handle that. This people are f******* idiots!!!!!!!

dizsqueen
07-06-2009, 07:00 PM
Does anyone know if Big Sandy is onboard with this trulincs system? Whats the procedures for getting enrolled etc? Thanks!

tolong
07-07-2009, 08:01 AM
Good Morn. Dis. BS IS getting trulinc's. Bill said the cable was run a few months ago and the desks are in place, so he thought they would have it by now. I'm not sure how u get your email set-up for them..I think they email you something and then you have to do something when you email back. There's a thread about it, make sure he knows your email adress..we've already made sure of that.
OK..I found out last night Bills designation is FCI Petersburg...exactly where we wanted. Diz, after 3 1/2 yrs he's gonna be 2-3 hrs away instead of on the otherside of the country in CA,NV,AZ, and BS 9 hrs and the last trip took me 12 hrs on a holiday weekend to get home. I truly think his case manager found pleasure in messing with his head and not being straight up with answeres with him or I. She made it clear she didn't like me calling, yet stayed on the phone answering questions. Yet in the long run, he got what he wanted. We had it planed that if he got designated to TX he was going to put in an admin grievance and site the program statement. Bill doesn't ruffel feathers..but this was a feather he was going to chew up and spit out!!! They only are suppose to get 1 transfer closer to home and I think they like to do it at the same time that they drop from a USP to a FCI. Also, what our concern was that she put in for security level change, NOT a closer to home 313 change and Grand Prarier would have just put him at any FCI, not nessesarily closer to home. THAT is what we could NOT get a straight answer about from his CM. She would not answer that straight up question! It wasn't a difficult question..ever see anyone dance without any rythem...well that's what it was like trying to get an answer...ALL OVER THE PLACE!

dizsqueen
07-07-2009, 09:51 PM
Congratulations!!! I know you'll be there every weekend on visits now that he's going to be 2-3 hours away:thumbsup:! That's AWESOME!!! So in a few months, D is going to put in for the transfer closer to home because he will be eligible for his drop from USP to FCI. Hopefully, it all works out for us....That's good news with the Trulincs, I'll look up the thread and my email address is going to be in the letter I send to him tomorrow!

Zelda--D went to the mailroom today and can you believe those people had the pictures the ENTIRE TIME!!!!! I sent 21 and of those 21, 18 were acceptable and the remaining 3 they are going to send back. I wonder what would have happened to the pics if he never went to the mailroom to get them????????????

tolong
07-08-2009, 09:25 AM
OK queen, I've been refering to you as Diz..that's your dudes name..Now your the queen!
I can't believe they had those pictures and didn't notify him & just held them. Makes you wonder what other things get mailed and they never get. I never think to ask B if he got this or that after I mail it.
B really didn't want to transfer out..wanted to finish his last 19 months instead of going thru the transfer crap. Stuck in atlanta for how ever long, locked down 23hrs a day. He's got a good job at BS and will have to get back on the waiting list. Anyway, the warden said no, gotta transfer. It's like when he wanted out, NO, you gotta wait 18 months. Now he wants to just stay, Nope, you gotta go! It's like he should have started dancing, saying Can't wait to leave this hell hole..and they probably would have kept him to finish out. I think this is how psychiatry came up with reverse psychiatry...they did an intense study of the BOP...lol.

tolong
07-08-2009, 01:48 PM
Visits to Big Sandy USP or the camp:

Hey missinghim..Yes there is a prison ministry about 1/2 mile up the mountain from the prison that is clean, warm, welcomming and the best place to stay. You will be with families that are going thru the exact same thing you are. It's $25.00 for the week-end. The kitchen is open to fix & cook whatever you want and you are welcome to the food they have stocked thier that I think the churchs in the area donate. They are not allowed to prepare it for you. Something about the type of license they have. Ceral, soup, tea, coffee,etc is there. They just opened a large building on site about a year ago and each room is decorated so cute and each room gets your own private bath. Call and talk to the owner Eileen Mullens at (606)298-7547 or (606)298-0520 to make a reservation. You will mail a money order the day you reserv. and they keep that as a donation. Good luck and I have paid to stay at Super 8, which was nice, but Haven of Rest is so much better.

tolong
07-10-2009, 10:59 AM
I just got a call from a CO, that the prison went on lockdown and there will be no visiting this week-end.

tolong
07-10-2009, 06:40 PM
USP- BIG SANDY- JULY 9, 2009

At 6:55pm, Control announced Staff needs assistance on C-3 Block, 6 inmates were assaulting 1 inmate with Homemade weapons (Shanks). The assaulted was taken to a Trama Hospital with no Staff injuries to report. U.S.P. Big Sandy is locked Down.

http://www.cpl33.info/id29.html

missinghim97
07-14-2009, 09:31 AM
Hi Ladies,

I just spoke to my husband. He said they have started to let people off lockdown. He said they are doing it by levels, not letting the entire prison off lockdown at the same time yet. He said either everyone will be completely off lockdown after 4:00, or they might wait until tomorrow to let everyone out tomorrow.

tolong
07-14-2009, 07:18 PM
Hey missinghim...I got my call about the same time as you. Now we've burned up 3 calls in 1 day hmmm! Wonder if my BF is in the same unit as your husband? Anyway..he's leaving this week and finally getting closer to home. It's been a long time and I am so ready to be able to visit more. I haven't seen him since thanksgiving, so instead of 9-11 hrs away he will be 2-3. Thanks for letting me share my exitement.

missinghim97
07-14-2009, 08:00 PM
We used 4! My daugther and him had a lot to catch up on :) I am so happy for you. He has been far for almost 4 years, so its been super hard, especially for our daugther. So I know what you have been going through. My husband will probably be far until he goes to a halfway house. Does your bf have a long time to go still? Him being so close will make it so much easier. If only we could get more minutes!! Hopefully e-mail will be available soon. Its always nice to hear when good things happen. We have to take what we can get!

tolong
07-14-2009, 08:08 PM
Thank you missinghim. Yup, they should be getting email soon..actually I thought they would have had it by now. My BF's been in BOP for 3 1/2 yrs and has a little over 1 1/2 left. With him closer to home and now being able to visit more it should fly by. I also thought when the 2nd chance act passed I was hoping he'd get the 1 yr in a HWH, but that doesn't seem to be working out like I'd hoped. I keep saying..just 1 more cold winter Babe!! I only went to BS 3 times and he's been there for 2 yrs. It is a really long ride from maryland and all the lockdowns, I was always afraid I'd drive all the way there for nothing.

missinghim97
07-19-2009, 12:38 PM
Hi ladies,

I am planning on a trip to Big Sandy. I was wondering if there were any cards or board games available? Also, since it will be hot, are shorts/capris allowed? What about open toed sandals? Any info about visiting would be great. Thanks!

Zelda50
07-19-2009, 12:59 PM
On the transfer issue - you never know what's going to happen. My guy finally got transferred from the 1st place he was - 1,000 miles from home - after requesting to transfer to our home state. They transferred him all right - farther away!! So he had to serve 18 months there and then they finally transferred him close to home. The transfer to request, if he's 19 months from release is a "Nearer Release Transfer." That means he's requesting to be transferred nearer to where he's going to live after his release. Z.

tolong
07-19-2009, 02:06 PM
Thanks Zelda..Trying to get a straight answer from his case manager was very frustrating. His security level had dropped and he was forced to transfer. The 1 & only question was, "did you put it in as a closer to home or security level drop"?? He asked and then I called to ask and nobody could get a direct answer. Anyway, he transfered out thursday, is in Atlanta on his way to Petersburg, 2-3 hrs away from home. So, yes she did put in for "closer to home". Just a heads up...when your men are transfering for 2 reasons, case management is told to choose the reason for the transfer. Make sure they put it in as a #313-closer to home.

Missinghim..no kaki colored clothes. I wore capri's or jeans and yes I wore a 2 in heeled sandle. They have games there and a childrens room with a TV. When you register there's a machine that you buy a card and put money on it for the vending machines. Don't wear an underwire bra..you'll set the metal detectors off and usually they make those woman wait to get called back..I think it just pisses them off. They usually call 6-9 people back at a time..so I usually pulled over at the gate at about 7:30 and waited till 8:00 and drove back. I think the code for the gate is 0000. The CO's are very nice there, but getting in usually takes at least an hour or more.

missinghim97
07-22-2009, 06:12 PM
Hi Tolong, thanks for the info. I have a few more questions.How much money can you bring in for the vending machines? Also, my husband asked that I wear a summer dress. I am assuming that it o.k as long as it is not short and tight, is that correct? Is the visiting room usually crowded? Sorry for all the questions, I am just so excited to see him I want to make sure I have all the info I need. On a side note, how are things going with your man being so close to you?

Zelda50
07-22-2009, 09:59 PM
No sleeveless clothing.

dizsqueen
07-23-2009, 07:17 AM
and be careful with the sandals you choose to wear. I wore a flat sandal that had straps on it and they turned me away at the door because "those aren't sandals, those are flipflops"!!!! Needless to say, I was PI$$ED!

tolong
07-23-2009, 10:31 AM
Aww..he wants his lady in a summer dress..to cute. I am so happy for you both..it's like a first date. Yup, like Z said make sure your covered up appropriately. You could also keep extra stuff in your truck in case something doesn't pass. It is ALL up to the CO working the desk. You can bring your purse in the lobby with you and make sure you have a quarter for the locker. I usually put $10.00-$20.00 on the card. It will stay on the card and can be used later. The soda's are maybe $1.00 for 16 oz platic bottle. Candy and snakes maybe $1.50. Pizza and sandwiches about $2.00-$3.00. The only thing you'll carry back to visiting is the card (like a credit card). Make sure you know his inmate number cause you'll need that when you sign the book. The CO's don't like to look it up and sometimes they won't. Park in the spots marked inmate visiting and of coarse it's the furthest parking from the door. Also, they lockdown and no visits if there's fog. I only got to visit 3 times in the 2 yrs he was there and the only time it was pretty crowded was Thanksgiving week-end. Are you staying at Haven of Rest?
I highly recommend it!! No, my BF is still in Atlanta so his transfer is about 1/2 over. I miss the phone calls big time. There locked down in Atlanta, so he can only call Tues and Fri when I'm not at work at 10:00 am. Then of coarse when he gets to Petersburg I'll have to wait till I'm approved. I can't wait to visit..haven't seem him since Nov 08..8 months. When are you going????

Zelda50
07-29-2009, 05:28 PM
I just read that things were jumpin' off at Big Sandy last night - they're not locked down but call before you travel to visit this weekend. One inmate was taken to the outside hospital and several were taken to the SHU for fighting.

dizsqueen
07-30-2009, 11:50 AM
Zelda, have you heard anything else about the incident that happened?

Zelda50
07-31-2009, 02:52 PM
Zelda, have you heard anything else about the incident that happened?

Not about that incident but apparently there was another one yesterday afternoon - inmate was stabbed and taken to an outside hospital with a collapsed lung. It doesn't list the place as being locked down still - but call before visiting.

dizsqueen
07-31-2009, 03:21 PM
Zelda, thank you. I don't know how you do it, but you are the best! Just wanted to let you know that you are appreciated:thumbsup:

Zelda50
08-06-2009, 01:08 AM
On August 5th, another inmate taken to the outside hospital with injuries and then transferred to the "trauma hospital" - information is that he was assaulted by 4 inmates "with weapons" in the recreation cage in the SHU!!!

Geez - who's guarding the segregation unit?????

tolong
08-06-2009, 07:43 AM
Word is the guards want Big Sandy to be a permanant lockdown facility. I wonder if they're instigating theese incidents to better prove thier case????

dizsqueen
08-06-2009, 04:21 PM
Thats crazy if they try and make it a permanent lockdown facility. And what's even crazier is the fact that they never went on lockdown after these last few incidents! And I'm starting to get mad cuz I keep calling up there to find out whats going on and no one is answering the phone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:angry:

tolong
08-06-2009, 04:25 PM
queen..I'm so sorry...it's been really bad there the last couple weeks it seems. That's unusual that nobody's answering the phone. I always got thru when I called even though it wasn't that often! I will keep you and diz in my prayers..hang in there!

dizsqueen
08-10-2009, 02:53 PM
D called me earlier this afternoon and said that something crazy happened in the yard and they were about to be on lockdown.

justsomeonesmom
08-10-2009, 07:06 PM
My husband is on his way there to stay. Does anyone has a loved one there or has been there recently?

My husband is there. We were there this past weekend. Its on top of a mountain and a pain in the ass to get to, but worth it if you love him. I recommend staying at the "Haven of Rest" which is like 2 mins up the mountain.

The facility sucks though. They are always on lock down! As a matter of fact they are locked down now! It is the most violent prison in the whole fbop. Not trying to scare you, just giving you the real. ;)

justsomeonesmom
08-10-2009, 07:08 PM
Word is the guards want Big Sandy to be a permanant lockdown facility. I wonder if they're instigating theese incidents to better prove thier case????

It wouldn't surprise me if they were!

missinghim97
08-11-2009, 12:37 PM
Hi Ladies, received a call from my husband about an hour ago. He said they were let out, but would probably be not let out completely until around 4:00 tomorrow.

i love strange
08-24-2009, 08:22 AM
has anyone heard from there love 1s i haven't heard from mind since the 14.

missinghim97
08-24-2009, 03:53 PM
I just had a phone call from my husband. I have recieved a phone call everyday. Is there any chance he is in the hole? I also received an email today. His unit finally got email access.

dizsqueen
08-25-2009, 11:09 AM
Really they finally got email in there???? That's great news, thanks!
I have spoken to my man a few times, maybe he ran out of minutes for the month?

missinghim97
08-25-2009, 08:33 PM
Dizsqueen, yes they got email. But they are going unit by unit, so I don't know if your man's unit has it yet. I think by the end of the month they should all have it.

missinghim97
08-26-2009, 07:45 PM
Hey Everyone... just received email from my husband. It said they were going on lockdown. He didn't give reason, or how long he thought it would be for.

dizsqueen
08-27-2009, 08:37 AM
I am soooooo tired of this lockdown bs.......thanks for the update. And check you out getting your emails:D I can't wait til I can email D

missinghim97
08-29-2009, 10:37 AM
Good thing it was only for that one night. They were let out the next morning.My husband used to be at Hazelton and they had email. It was so nice. I am glad they finally got them at Big Sandy. It makes a huge difference. Epecially because we use up our minutes way too fast. We have no self-control with them minutes!

NaNa7
08-31-2009, 08:53 PM
USP- BIG SANDY- AUGUST 30, 2009

At 11:00am, a fight was announced over the radio. Three inmates were assaulting one inmate. Responding staff stopped the assault. The inmate assaulted was taken to the local hospital with a suspected cracked skull. There were no staff injuries to report.

dizsqueen
09-01-2009, 04:20 PM
Some more drama is popping off at Big Sandy

USP- BIG SANDY- AUGUST 31, 2009

At 2:00p.m., a fight was announced on the Recreation Yard. Three (3) inmates were assaulting one (1) inmate. The Verbal warning system was activated and responding staff contained the incident with no injuries to staff. The one (1) inmate was sent to medical with blood all over his body.

NaNa7
09-01-2009, 10:24 PM
My prayers go out to the inmates and their love ones. All of this is depressing:cry:

coldheartedbitc
09-27-2009, 06:04 PM
Big Sandy is on lockdown, has anybody heard anything? they were put on lockdown around noon yeasterday.

BigO'sWife
09-27-2009, 10:02 PM
Hey Everyone... just received email from my husband. It said they were going on lockdown. He didn't give reason, or how long he thought it would be for.

Im happy i read this because i was beginnin to get worried didnt hear from my love in a couple days through email or phone so this is reeally appreciated :)

BigO'sWife
09-27-2009, 10:03 PM
does any one know why Big Sandy is on lockdown?

BigO'sWife
09-27-2009, 10:08 PM
Big Sandy is on lockdown, has anybody heard anything? they were put on lockdown around noon yeasterday.

everytime big sandy is put on lockdown i worry about my love and pray to hear from him soon...i miss and love him...oh yea does anyone knows why Big Sandy is on lockdown?

coldheartedbitc
09-27-2009, 11:19 PM
everytime big sandy is put on lockdown i worry about my love and pray to hear from him soon...i miss and love him...oh yea does anyone knows why Big Sandy is on lockdown?

i havent heard anything, he just sent me a email letting me know they were being locked down. This damn place is a mess and there is so much bullshit going on between the prisoners right now that there's noway to get through a day without having a tone of worry. has anyone else heard of the problems going on there from there men?:mad:

tolong
09-28-2009, 07:10 AM
Keep checking the attached link! I guess they haven't written the report up yet. Hang in there ladies..I DO know how stressful Big Sandy Lockdowns can be.

tolong
09-28-2009, 12:09 PM
WOW..I pray all your men are safe. Queen, you still working on getting your man transfered? It's otta control.

USP- BIG SANDY- SPETEMBER 26, 2009

At 11:58a.m., approximately 50 inmates began fighting between Corridor#1 and Corridor#2, Mainline was going on and approximately 50 more gang related inmates came pouring out of Food Service to join in on the fight. There were numerous weapons used in the fight as this fight lasted for quite a while with sting balls, pepper ball guns along with other lethal munitions were used to gain control of the fight. Several inmates were injured. One inmate was transported to a local hospital with 15 stab wounds. He was treated and brought back to the institution. One (1) staff member was taken to the
local hospital with a stab wound to his hand, a possible broken elbow and bulging disks in his back, He was transported by ambulance to a trauma center in West Virginia were his injuries are being treated. Other staff received bruises but otherwise, they are doing okay. The U.S.P. Big Sandy is locked down until future notice.

missinghim97
09-28-2009, 03:24 PM
I am going to be stressed out until I hear from my husband! I hate reading stuff like this. I wish he could be transfered somewhere else.

tolong
09-29-2009, 06:40 AM
Missinghim...I tried to think of the Big Sandy lockdowns as a way to keep my BF safe from all the fighting. That seemed to help me threw it. If he's locked in his cell, than the only inmate he needed to contend with is his cellie and he's safe. My heart goes out to you.

Ralphsgirl
09-29-2009, 10:59 AM
My fiance just got to Big Sandy on 9/24/09. I'm very worried about him, he has a temper and this is his first time in prison. I know that if something happens he can take care of himself but still I have a bad feeling about him being there. He tells me not to worry. Hopefully he can transfer out of there I can't take him doing his entire 38 year bid there. I'll go crazy with stress.

missinghim97
09-29-2009, 06:51 PM
Tolong, I actually do feel better when they are on lockdown because then I know he is safe, and he gets to rest and get in some needed sleep. However, because of the fighting, I will be worried until I know he was not involved in anything!

tolong
09-30-2009, 12:13 PM
hang in there missinghim..he can still write to let you know he's OK. I think those lockdowns are the worst thing about BS. My BF actually wanted to finish his time there. Guess it's about the devil you know being better than the one you don't. Anyway, I feel better he's gone...they made him go to a Med FCI. My BF says it's not that difficult to stay out of the trouble at BS, that the issues I read about has to do with the gangs, drugs, drinking etc. So if your not into that stuff..chances are good you can do your time in peace. If not, than you may run into trouble..and that would be in any prison, not just BS.

missinghim97
09-30-2009, 05:18 PM
Tolong, I got a letter from him today! I was happy to hear from him and hear that he was not involved in anything and that he is doing well. He said although he hates the lockdowns, that he has gotten much needed sleep. So that is always good. I would love to go see him again. Our daughter and I had a great time visiting him and we LOVED staying at Haven of Rest. Thanks so much for persuading me to stay there.

tolong
10-01-2009, 07:20 AM
Thanks missinghim..I REALLY am so happy you & your daughter had a great visit when you went, as I'm sure it lifted your husbands spirits. I couldn't make the trip to BS very often either..in the 2 yrs my BF was there I only went 3 times. They understand!! My BF would mail a letter right away..same day..to let me know they were locked down and he was OK, cause he new I would worry. Also, you can always call Eileen at Haven if for some reason you don't get a letter & days go by. I did that once..she has all the inside info. Hugs, Sue

Lanegradenegro
10-02-2009, 11:59 AM
hello

my friend is in BIG SANDY do you ever go to visit if so please let me know we can go on visit together. I would like to know why was the jail in lock down and of couse is everyone safe

tolong
10-02-2009, 12:26 PM
My BF transfered out a couple months ago. There's a link on my 7/10 post that will keep you updated on reports of the trouble there.

USP- BIG SANDY- SPETEMBER 26, 2009

At 11:58a.m., approximately 50 inmates began fighting between Corridor#1 and Corridor#2, Mainline was going on and approximately 50 more gang related inmates came pouring out of Food Service to join in on the fight. There were numerous weapons used in the fight as this fight lasted for quite a while with sting balls, pepper ball guns along with other lethal munitions were used to gain control of the fight. Several inmates were injured. One inmate was transported to a local hospital with 15 stab wounds. He was treated and brought back to the institution. One (1) staff member was taken to the
local hospital with a stab wound to his hand, a possible broken elbow and bulging disks in his back, He was transported by ambulance to a trauma center in West Virginia were his injuries are being treated. Other staff received bruises but otherwise, they are doing okay. The U.S.P. Big Sandy is locked down until future notice.

CHINA BABY
10-02-2009, 01:27 PM
Thanks tolong i was to leave early this morning. To drive up to see my husband and take our kids to see him. Our middle sons birthday was on sep.27th. And to surprise my husband with the kids. Because he has not seen them in over a year. I get so worried every time big sandy goes on lock down, hoping ang prayins nothing has happen to my husband.i just got a call from a co, that the prison went on lockdown and there will be no visiting this week-end.

CHINA BABY
10-02-2009, 03:22 PM
Hi my husband is in big sany, and they got put on lock down because it was a big gang fight with over 100 inmates. I live in colorado. I only go to see him on 3 04 four day weekend, because it is a long drive 18 to 20 hours. hello

my friend is in big sandy do you ever go to visit if so please let me know we can go on visit together. I would like to know why was the jail in lock down and of couse is everyone safe

dizsqueen
10-06-2009, 06:03 PM
I actually went up there....imagine getting to the gate only to be told that they just went on lockdown 5 minutes earlier! I came all the way from Boston :mad: It hurt real bad and to top if off, they are probably gonna be lockdown for a LONG time because staff got hurt. They're not going to take that lightly.

CHINA BABY
10-07-2009, 04:51 PM
Yea them drives are long, they will be on like down for a long time. But you can go to google, and put in usp big sandy lockdown. And the first two icons that come up you can check what going on with there lock down. The first on i think is called lockdown and the second on is daily news. Big sandy is always on lock down , i will be glad when they move my husband.i actually went up there....imagine getting to the gate only to be told that they just went on lockdown 5 minutes earlier! I came all the way from boston :mad: It hurt real bad and to top if off, they are probably gonna be lockdown for a long time because staff got hurt. They're not going to take that lightly.

dizsqueen
10-07-2009, 06:09 PM
Yea them drives are long, they will be on like down for a long time. But you can go to google, and put in usp big sandy lockdown. And the first two icons that come up you can check what going on with there lock down. The first on i think is called lockdown and the second on is daily news. Big sandy is always on lock down , i will be glad when they move my husband.

Yeah I know bout that site, but the thing is, me and D had been emailing all morning on my way down there, and everything was fine until I hit the gate...that's when the went on lockdown

Kimi06
10-09-2009, 08:54 AM
I hate this Federal Penn with a passion my brother
who is a lifer was @Big Sandy for almost 4 yrs and the
whole entire time they stayed on lockdown even
when we were coming a 12hour ride to visit.
This place sucks my brother was xfrd closer
to home in PA. USP CANNAN and he seems to like
deal with it much better as BIG SANDY,
had a lot of DC boys who love to start riots and trouble.
Good luck to all with family in this spot. It truly puts the
meaning in Federal Camp.:eek:

KIMI06

Kimi06
10-09-2009, 09:00 AM
My brother who is a lifer, is now @ USP CANNAN
but I can remember coming 12hour rides from
PENNSYLVANIA and I am telling you this spot
abosolutely SUCKS. They keep a riot going on
and 24hour lockdowns. He said he has not dealt
with this @ USP CANNAN like he did for the almost
4yrs he was@ BIG SANDY...He said him and his celly
literally would never sleep my brother sent me pictures
to where I wanted to cry the bags and tiresome look
he would have on his face not knowing what inmate on
the block is going to snap off that day and fight another
guy because of where he is from. My brother told me
that the DC boys and PHILLY boys always fought.
Serious Federal Camp right here.:eek:

KIMI06

CHINA BABY
10-09-2009, 09:55 AM
:mad:THATS CRAZY, I HATE THAT PLACE, THEY ARE ALWAYS ON LOCK DOWN:angry: THATS WHY I DONT GO SEE MY HUSBAND THAT MUCH SINCE HE HAS BEEN UP THERE. BECAUSE I WOULD BE SO PISSED DRIVING FROM COLORADO TO KY. THEY ARE TRYING TO MOVE HIM AT THE USP ATWATER IN CALIFORNIA. BUT MY COUSINS MAN IS UP THERE AND SHE SAID THAT PLACE IS JUST AS BAD.:mad:Yeah I know bout that site, but the thing is, me and D had been emailing all morning on my way down there, and everything was fine until I hit the gate...that's when the went on lockdown

coldheartedbitc
10-15-2009, 06:25 PM
:(:(:(:(big sandy may be going back on full lockdown again very soon. news going around about things isnt great. everone say sum extra prays that this shit ends soon. i thought i would give everyone a heads up, not trying to worry anyone but i know that i would like to know ahead of time.

Nay's Girl
10-16-2009, 04:31 AM
Hi

Can you tell me anything about the lock down protocol @ Hazelton? Does lockdown apply to the SFF as well? Please tell me what you know! Thanks!

Ralphsgirl
10-18-2009, 10:12 AM
They're off lockdown. I think they came off on Tuesday. I spoke with Ralph last nite and everything was fine.

tolong
10-21-2009, 07:29 AM
Has anybody heard anything about a wall in the administration building collapsing and they might be closing BS cause the ground they built the prison on is sinking? My BF said someone told him this (he's now at Petersburg) and another inmate told him this. I told him I think the CO's like to start far out rumors to see how far they get and I hadn't heard anything about it. Anyway..just know you will hear alot of far out crap over the years!!!

Lesliezack
10-21-2009, 08:12 AM
Save this link in your favorites

LOCKDOWN!!!! (http://www.cpl33.info/id33.html)

coldheartedbitc
10-22-2009, 04:48 PM
just got email that they are going back on lockdown. im tired of this shit. i wish they would get there shit together. :mad:

dizsqueen
10-22-2009, 06:30 PM
just got email that they are going back on lockdown. im tired of this shit. i wish they would get there shit together. :mad:

i just got the same mf'ing email and i already bought my ticket to go out there this weekend:angry: i cant take this shit no more man, i can't take it! if this is making me go crazy and i'm out here in the world, i'm really scared about how my man's frame of mind is right now!

missinghim97
10-22-2009, 07:10 PM
Hey ladies, I was wondering what was going on. I didn't receive a call tonight. Did your men give you any reason?

dizsqueen
10-22-2009, 07:20 PM
Hey ladies, I was wondering what was going on. I didn't receive a call tonight. Did your men give you any reason?

My email just said "something happened" but nothing else

CHINA BABY
10-26-2009, 05:14 PM
:( THIS SHIT IS DRIVING ME OUT MY MIND, I CRY DAY IN DAY OUT, BECAUSE I KNOW HOW BO IS AND I DONT WANT HIM TO LOSS HIS MIND. THEY ARE UP THER TREATING THEM LIKE SOME F**cken animals. :angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry:. I AM SUPPOSE TO GO OUT THERE THE FIRST WEEKEND IN NOVEMBER FOR HIS BIRTHDAY, BUT I AM SCARED TO PLAN THE TRIP BECAUSE THEY ARE ALWAYS ON LOCKDOWN:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:My email just said "something happened" but nothing else

Ralphsgirl
10-27-2009, 05:14 PM
has anyone heard anything about the inmate that was killed by the gaurds this past week? They were on lockdown from 10/22/09 through 10/26/09 because of it.

dizsqueen
10-28-2009, 05:24 PM
has anyone heard anything about the inmate that was killed by the gaurds this past week? They were on lockdown from 10/22/09 through 10/26/09 because of it.

Yes, I heard that. I heard that the guards had no choice but to kill him because he was trying to kill another inmate. It's bananas in there!

Ralphsgirl
10-28-2009, 05:58 PM
oh wow. I really hope that he gets moved out of there soon.

tolong
10-29-2009, 06:44 AM
They have not other means of restraining a violent inmate other than killing him? Come on!!

curious_mind
10-29-2009, 08:06 AM
Yes, I heard that. I heard that the guards had no choice but to kill him because he was trying to kill another inmate. It's bananas in there!
Hello, I want to introduce myself. I am completely new here so please bare with me. I personally know the guy that was killed. His name is Warren Back. He is the father of my grandson. I have been trying to find out info ever since I got news he was in the hospital. I have written to newspapers etc.. The prison has told his Father different stories. We have heard so many different stories about this. The first being that a "gang" jumped him & gutted his abdomen & smashed in his Private area. The other was that he was in a fight with someone & a guard shot him. I heard that the guards are NOT allowed to use violence like that & there are other ways to stop someone. PLEASE if ANYONE can find out any info about "Warren" the "Real Truth" regardless what it is I would appreiate it. Thanks!! :confused::confused::confused::confused::confused: :confused::confused::confused::confused:

tolong
10-29-2009, 01:18 PM
Curious..I am so sorry for your family. I really wish you luck in trying to find out the truth about what happened, but I feel you will be on an uphill climb. The inmates will really only hear the rumors, most of which will be information the CO's put out there. BOP is extreamly tight lipped..but I do wish you luck and you are in my prayers. My BF transfered out a few months ago and believe me when I tell you Big Sandy has some serious issues at hand.

Zelda50
10-29-2009, 05:24 PM
I just posted a news article in the Federal forum news section about the inmate being shot and killed by a C.O. Z.

dizsqueen
10-29-2009, 06:09 PM
Hello, I want to introduce myself. I am completely new here so please bare with me. I personally know the guy that was killed. His name is Warren Back. He is the father of my grandson. I have been trying to find out info ever since I got news he was in the hospital. I have written to newspapers etc.. The prison has told his Father different stories. We have heard so many different stories about this. The first being that a "gang" jumped him & gutted his abdomen & smashed in his Private area. The other was that he was in a fight with someone & a guard shot him. I heard that the guards are NOT allowed to use violence like that & there are other ways to stop someone. PLEASE if ANYONE can find out any info about "Warren" the "Real Truth" regardless what it is I would appreiate it. Thanks!! :confused::confused::confused::confused::confused: :confused::confused::confused::confused:

I hate to say welcome to you at a time like this. My deepest condolences to you, your grandson and your whole family. I wish you all the best in finding out what really happened. Not to get off track, but my brother was murdered 8.5 years ago and the police covered that shit up sooo well that even to this day, we still dont know what really happened! So I can definitely relate to how you are feeling and will be feeling and if you ever need someone to just vent to, if you ever need an ear, I'm here. Its a damn shame, a real damn shame. They really need to change their definition of Justice cuz this is just some straight up bullshit!

sass4221
10-29-2009, 08:59 PM
Isn't Back the one who taunted police because they couldn't catch him? And was on America's Most Wanted and called them and taunted them too? And was in a KY county jail and put in isolation for trying to rape another inmate?

stool hand Luke
10-30-2009, 06:06 AM
Yes... that would be the "Kingpin". Some people are better off incarcerated in a cell than stumbling out into the world on parole. This "Ace" was one of them.
It would be interesting to learn the story behind his death,...it would help close the book on a saga that should have ended years ago. Who was this dude that he stabbed? Why did Ace have it in for this one inmate? What of this guard that decided to shoot to kill? There are always questions.
Warren was not a nice man. Sometimes bad things happen to bad people.
RIP Ace......you lived a longer life than you probably deserved.
:)

curious_mind
10-30-2009, 08:37 AM
I just posted a news article in the Federal forum news section about the inmate being shot and killed by a C.O. Z.
How would I go about finding that article? Sorry I am new to all this & actually I happened to stumble across this site. I googled Big Sandy Prison /Inmate killed & thats how I found this site. Actually the article I choose to check out said "Big Sandy on Lockdown etc...." When I tried to get back to this site last night I couldn't get to it because of ALL the choices so I had to go to my History. I did Bookmark it as well now. :thumbsup:

curious_mind
10-30-2009, 11:34 AM
Yes... that would be the "Kingpin". Some people are better off incarcerated in a cell than stumbling out into the world on parole. This "Ace" was one of them.
It would be interesting to learn the story behind his death,...it would help close the book on a saga that should have ended years ago. Who was this dude that he stabbed? Why did Ace have it in for this one inmate? What of this guard that decided to shoot to kill? There are always questions.
Warren was not a nice man. Sometimes bad things happen to bad people.
RIP Ace......you lived a longer life than you probably deserved.
:)
Ok everyone has there opinion & I'm not one to Judge anyone! You must have your reason's to feel this way & that is your business. I want to explain further about Warren & my connections etc.. HOWEVER, I have to get ready to go to His Viewing in a few minutes but I will try to get back on here this evening or sometime Sat. as his funeral is early Sat. morning & beggers night around here & I have custody of 3 of my grandkids soooo I have to do the Trick or Treat thing!! I will NOT be offended for anything anyone has to say about Warren. I have a few stories myself I could tell. I was just "CURIOUS" as to what happened FOR "REAL" thats all. I know we will NEVER really know all thats behind his killing. Only Warren will now that! I'm curious how you knew him ?? Thanks . gotta hurry & get dressed & I'll write later! Thanks!

missinghim97
10-31-2009, 04:06 PM
Did anyone hear that Big Sandy might be where they hold all the gang members? I can't remember what it is called, but my husband mentioned that he heard it would be on lockdown 23 hours a day and anyone not in a gang would be moved. Just wondering if anyone heard anything.

Zelda50
10-31-2009, 08:15 PM
They already made Lewisburg USP into a Special Management Institution, where they send those inmates they believe are creating problems in the regular USP's. There is also the Florence ADMAX facility. I have not heard anything about them creating another SMI. In Lewisburg, inmates are placed in lockdown and then are subject to the "step down" program where they earn more privileges/less restrictions through positive behavior. I think these type of prisons are inhumane and I think society should be concerned about inmates being placed in them without due process and without any treatment offered for possible mental health issues, cognitive thinking problems, etc.

tolong
10-31-2009, 08:38 PM
Missinghim..I think ALL the prisons are full of gangs and it's a real balancing act to keep the USP's with the right balance. Alot of the inmates at BS are DC inmates.
I heard, and I want to be really careful about repeating and listening to rumors, that Big Sandy was built as a lockdown prison. I heard that the CO's want it to be run that way also. I always wondered why there are so many problems in 2 of the 4 units all the time, yet the whole prison goes on lockdown. I wonder why they can't seem to seperate the inmates a little better. But another problem is there are alot of lifers at Big Sandy, they don't get any visits since the prison is so remote, and they really have nothing to live for..no hope.

curious_mind
11-01-2009, 09:55 AM
Did anyone hear that Big Sandy might be where they hold all the gang members? I can't remember what it is called, but my husband mentioned that he heard it would be on lockdown 23 hours a day and anyone not in a gang would be moved. Just wondering if anyone heard anything.
All I can do as far as giving anyone any info is to tell you only what I "hear" & how I hear it. Warren stayed in close contact to one of his friends here & they wrote all the time to each other. when he heard about what happened to Warren he came over to my house to see if we heard & to talk to my Husband & we talked for Hrs. He told me alot of stories about Warren ( good & bad) One thing he did tell me was that the prisoners were locked down 23hrs. out of the day & were only out 1 hr. per day. How true this is I don't know BUT, it makes sense to me. Why would someone thats at BS tell someone that if it wasn't true?? Who Knows, Right?? Hope this helps! Thanks!! :confused: :confused: :confused:

tolong
11-01-2009, 02:23 PM
Curious mind, when BS goes on lockdown all the inmates are locked in thier cells for 23 out of 24 hrs at the least. Sometimes they are locked in 24 hr. and after a couple/few days they are let out for a shower (approx 1 hr) and locked back in. The lockdown can last a few days and sometimes a few weeks dependending on whats going on. The inmates are fed bag lunches during lockdown. Some prisons operate with the prisoners being locked in 23 out of 24 hrs ALL the time. They never get anymore freedom than that 1 hr. The rumor is BS was designed and built with that in mind and that the CO's would prefer to have it that way. Lockdowns at BS have always been an issue, but it seems like in the past 6-9 months the lockdowns are becomming more and more frequent. The question are, is it because the inmates are the worst of the worst, or could it be the CO's are instigating some of the problems so that it will become a lockdown prison. A CO's job becomes alot easier when you don't have to deal with general population, main line, recreation etc.

curious_mind
11-02-2009, 10:04 AM
I understand the lock down procedure but I thought someone was wanting to know if BIG SANDY kept the Inmates locked up 24/7 & I was telling what I heard about that which the answer would have to be YES they do from what an Inmate had told someone . Wouldn't some of you like to be "A FLY ON THE WALL" their to see & hear what REALLY goes on??

tolong
11-02-2009, 12:40 PM
Curious Mind..you've heard wrong. Big Sandy does not keep the inmates locked down 24/7. Only if there is an incident. My BF was there for 2 yrs and just recently transfered.

standbyhisside1
11-02-2009, 07:03 PM
Curious mind, when BS goes on lockdown all the inmates are locked in thier cells for 23 out of 24 hrs at the least. Sometimes they are locked in 24 hr. and after a couple/few days they are let out for a shower (approx 1 hr) and locked back in. The lockdown can last a few days and sometimes a few weeks dependending on whats going on. The inmates are fed bag lunches during lockdown. Some prisons operate with the prisoners being locked in 23 out of 24 hrs ALL the time. They never get anymore freedom than that 1 hr. The rumor is BS was designed and built with that in mind and that the CO's would prefer to have it that way. Lockdowns at BS have always been an issue, but it seems like in the past 6-9 months the lockdowns are becomming more and more frequent. The question are, is it because the inmates are the worst of the worst, or could it be the CO's are instigating some of the problems so that it will become a lockdown prison. A CO's job becomes alot easier when you don't have to deal with general population, main line, recreation etc.
i think its a combination of bad men and lack of staff...they seem to be understaffed for one and it is convenient to always lockdown over the weekend...but if shit wouldnt pop off all the time they wouldn't have too..so there u have your rotten eggs in the basket ruining it for the rest, hense(bad men/worst of worst)...then the pen is like ok,screw all of you...no visits...haha.so everyone tell ur people to behave and influence others around them.so no more bad stuff happens to the people we love cuz i simply cant take it....

smnma731
11-06-2009, 08:47 PM
Hello,
I am here for information on this lockdown stuff that is being said about Big Sandy. My boyfriend is there and he is also hearing rumors about this place going to be made into a lockdown facility. Has anyone else heard about this and if so what is the projected time frame for this, because he is actually waiting on a transfer from those walls of horror.

Any information will be greatly appreciated. :thnx:

Zelda50
11-07-2009, 12:36 PM
As said above, I have heard nothing about USP Big Sandy being made into a continuous lockdown facility, also known as a Special Management Institution. I think the BOP is still struggling with operations of the newly created Lewisburg SMI, which the C.O.s say is understaffed.

angelbaby72
11-14-2009, 09:54 PM
Good thing it was only for that one night. They were let out the next morning.My husband used to be at Hazelton and they had email. It was so nice. I am glad they finally got them at Big Sandy. It makes a huge difference. Epecially because we use up our minutes way too fast. We have no self-control with them minutes!

I hope my brother thinks when he gets there,to start emails,I told him to.I pray he emails me regularly.He is going to big sandy and my fahter is going to butner.I miss them so much,I cry about this everyday.My father was given 2 years and my brother three and a quarter.I wonder how I am going to get through this time.

angelbaby72
11-14-2009, 10:10 PM

I hate the thought of this.My baby brother was sentenced to 3 1/3 years and he has been designated for Big Sandy.Now I am finding this stuff out it scares me,he is a big time hot head.I am worried he will get more time.And It's going to be hard ofr me to plan to see him with these damn lock downs,because living in Louisiana,I would be making a loong trip and if they get put on lock down while I am on my way there then the money and all will be wasted.This totally sucks. do they have the email system yet??:angry:

smnma731
11-15-2009, 10:49 PM
I hope my brother thinks when he gets there,to start emails,I told him to.I pray he emails me regularly.He is going to big sandy and my fahter is going to butner.I miss them so much,I cry about this everyday.My father was given 2 years and my brother three and a quarter.I wonder how I am going to get through this time.

Hello Angelbaby72,
I do hope that you keep your spirits up throughout this time. We are all on the same boat and need to give each other strength to get through these difficult times. Just look at it as every passing day is a day closer to their exit from those walls and home to you and your family, regardless of how much time they both have left.

standbyhisside1
11-16-2009, 10:59 AM
yes...they do have email available t them...and yes it is a very tough prison...because it is max. security and it gets frustrating but time will pass...it always does. its no place to act like a big shot tho so tell ur loved one to mind his own and he should do fine...atleast thats what the ones who wanna stay outta trouble do. best of luck to u and ur family

angelbaby72
11-19-2009, 10:17 PM
This place seems to suck royally.I called bop this morning compalining about them designating my brother for there,especially since the judge granted our request to have him placed in the south,near my mother and me,his only blood immediate family,besides our father who is incarcarated at Butner low.They told me to mail a request to them in texas and they could redesignate him,especially since I informed them he is bipolar with a multiple personalit disorder and was asked to leave nothwood health system.They told me if they have it by monday they will hold him where he is now,in oklahoma city oklahoma,until they redesignate him.Hopefully they will actually do this,because he will not fare well there.

rooney
11-30-2009, 06:22 AM
Has anyone heard if Big Sandy is on lockdown? If the prison is on lockdown is the satellite camp also on lockdown?

missinghim97
11-30-2009, 07:14 AM
I was wondering the same thing. I am assuming that they are, because I have not heard from my husband. He usually calls throughout the day and to say good night. I think the last call I received was yesterday early afternoon. There isn't anything on the internet yet though.

stepncuellar
11-30-2009, 01:20 PM
my husand just got to big sandy 2 weeks ago. he got a 20 year sentance. i live in texas and wanted to go visit him in february but i hear they are always on lockdown. im scared to take off up there for a 23 hour drive and then get there just to find out that i cant see him because they happen to be on lockdown. is if worth planning a trip? if i plan to leave on a thursday and i call and everything is okay for me to go and then i happen to get up there on saturday and they are on lockdown for one reason or another will they really have no consideration to let me see him considering i just drove cross county to see him???? can anyone help me out??

stepncuellar
11-30-2009, 01:25 PM
Has anyone heard if Big Sandy is on lockdown? If the prison is on lockdown is the satellite camp also on lockdown?
i havent heard from my husband either and he calls everyday so i am assuming they are on lockdown

cookiealbright
11-30-2009, 03:04 PM
i havent heard from my husband either and he calls everyday so i am assuming they are on lockdown

Yep, They're on lockdown...

USP- BIG SANDY- NOVEMBER 29, 2009

Between 2:00 and 3:00pm, three officers were beaten down by several inmates. The three officers were pat searching inmates when 2 inmates turned and started assaulting the three officers, while other inmates joined in. The three officers were transported to a local hospital with concussions. One officer was transported to a trauma center in West Virginia looking to have reconstructive surgery on his facial area’s that were broken. Two of the inmates were transported to another facility. U.S.P. Big Sandy is locked down at this time.

cookiealbright
11-30-2009, 03:06 PM

Not sure, but I don't think it affects the camp.

dizsqueen
11-30-2009, 08:16 PM
my husand just got to big sandy 2 weeks ago. he got a 20 year sentance. i live in texas and wanted to go visit him in february but i hear they are always on lockdown. im scared to take off up there for a 23 hour drive and then get there just to find out that i cant see him because they happen to be on lockdown. is if worth planning a trip? if i plan to leave on a thursday and i call and everything is okay for me to go and then i happen to get up there on saturday and they are on lockdown for one reason or another will they really have no consideration to let me see him considering i just drove cross county to see him???? can anyone help me out??

Yes, they definitely will turn you away at the gate! This happened to me a few weeks ago. I had been emailing my man all that morning, and then when I got to the gate.."Sorry we can't let you in because we are on lockdown". I tried explaining that I came all the way from Boston, they didnt care

dizsqueen
11-30-2009, 08:19 PM
This jail is out of control! I feel bad for our men that have to deal with this on a daily basis, but I also feel for the co's too. Not all of them are assholes, they are just tryna do their job, make a living and take care of their family. When I was there this past weekend, one of the CO's told me that the inmates in the SHU tried to burn her jacket! They need to bring reform, change, something needs to happen in there for the safety of our men and the staff

Zelda50
12-01-2009, 11:17 AM
They need more programs and meaningful jobs to keep inmates busy and they need to offer more incentives for positive behavior. The lengthy sentences without any hope of earlier release doesn't help at all - and then the BOP policies cut people off from their families on the outside and they lose all hope and perspective. I think they should offer travel vouchers for gas/airline fare and motel costs for the families in exchange for the inmate's good behavior. Z.

stepncuellar
12-03-2009, 08:31 AM
Yes, they definitely will turn you away at the gate! This happened to me a few weeks ago. I had been emailing my man all that morning, and then when I got to the gate.."Sorry we can't let you in because we are on lockdown". I tried explaining that I came all the way from Boston, they didnt care

dam thats sum fucked up shit, well thanks for letting me know before i drove almost halfway across the country just to be told i cant see him

hrmny
12-08-2009, 01:56 PM
After spending way too many hours reading everything I could find on this site about Big Sandy I sent a frantic letter to the love of my life. He has been there for the last 5 years or so. He was in PA for the previous 5. I asked specific questions -like about the lockdowns and the food. Please know this is coming from someone who will have spent 11 years down in a few months. He missed his daughter growing up, the birth of his grandson, the last years of his mother's life and countless other milestones I'm sure you all can relate to. He spent almost TWO years in the hole for not ratting on people in PA. When they finally let him out of solitary, they sent him to Big Sandy. I won't try to make it seem like he's happy there, but from what he tells me, it's about as can be expected. He doesn't complain. He seems to have come to a really big crossroads; he realised that the prison's job is to make him miserable. If he makes the most out of whatever turd they are handing him he finds a little joy in knowing they have failed- at least for that moment.
My brother has been in and out of prisons for the last twenty years. When I look at these two men, and how they have "handled" themselves and their sentences, I am amazed at the differences. My brother was always kicking and screaming and complaining. Complaining about how "unfair" the prison(s) were. Food, visits, clothes....anything and everything that could be "unfair" was and was immediatly screamed about. All of this from a "short-timer". The other man in my life is anything but. While still looking at at least 10 more years he took everything with a grain of salt, found happininess where he could and let go of the things that hurt him but he could do nothing about, and fought for the things he had a shot at winning. The key,it seemed, was to know where that line was. He picked his battles, so-to-speak.
Judges don't promise that sentences will be carried out in fairness. That seems to be one of the many rights you lose when you get a number.
My heart goes out to all of you who find yourselves alone waiting for the ones you love. I know it is so hard. But don't give these prisons the satisfaction. Don't allow them to cause even greater misery in your lives as well as in those lives of your loved ones. Roll with most punches. Sympathise with your loved ones without feuling their misery. Be a light when they are in the dark. Bring them thoughts of love and hope when all they feel is pain.
So the response I got when I asked "Is it really THAT bad!!!??!?" Was "Don't believe everything you read." No - it seems it isn't really as bad as this site in particular makes it out to be. It sucks and it definitely takes a period of getting "used-to". Lockdowns are par for the course. Visits will not be easy- sometimes impossible. But there will come an end. Keep your eye on the prize and help your loved ones to do so, too. God Bless.

:twocents:

missinghim97
12-23-2009, 03:01 PM
Does anyone know if Big Sandy is on lockdown? I haven't heard from my husband.

missinghim97
12-26-2009, 05:24 PM
Hello ladies,

I have not heard from my husband since Tuesday. He didn't call us on Christmas Eve, or Christmas. I called up there, and was told that he was not in the hole and that he probably ran out of minutes. I know for a fact he did not, because we were saving them for Christmas so he could hear our daughter open her presents. This is not like him to not call or email. On a few occasions he has had another inmate call me if something happened or couldn't get to a phone. I am completely at a loss and don't know what to do. He checks in everyday, and has never missed a holiday. I am worried here, but don't know what else I can do. Any ideas?

Zelda50
12-27-2009, 12:35 AM
There's no way of knowing until you hear from him. Sometimes at an institution, just one unit will have phone privileges or email taken away for a short time because of some infraction, without the inmate(s) being taken to the hole or a total lockdown. Or maybe he just couldn't get that dang "voice recognition" system to work - or there were long lines for the phones. It could be anything ... hang in there! Z.

cutiemix1985
02-08-2010, 07:26 PM
Hello All -

I write this after reading many of your stories and with a heavy heart having just talked to my younger brother who is currently in Oklahoma FTC awaiting transfer to Big Sandy.

I am currently seeking any information you can tell me about this place. I am extremely concerned/worried/scared. Everything you all were when you first heard of your loved one going away.

After reading some of the things about Big Sandy I was seeking any information.

1. Is it really as dangerous as everyone says?
2. Would a 24 year old be treated worse because of his age?
3. Do I have to worry about him being hurt in there even if he keeps his nose clean and head down?

4. Any additional information.

Sorry if this sounds so ignorant I am just SO SO SO WORRIED! He has never sounded more scared in his life.

tolong
02-11-2010, 09:07 AM
Hello cutie..when my BF was designated to BS a few years ago I was really scared also and he as well. He was 40 yrs old and this was his 2nd go around with the feds..1st time at a USP. Once he got settled in he said it was just like any other fed prison and all the same ruled applied. He spent alot of time in the library cause he was working on filing a motion. He signed up for the programs his cousolor suggested so he could get his points lowered and could apply for a transfer 18 months later. He didn't get into any of the prison drama or gossip and just kept pretty much to his self and a couple of the guys that were also just doing thier time.

cutiemix1985
02-16-2010, 04:56 PM
tolong, thank you SO MUCH for your response! It is REALLY appreciated. I am going to have to pass this info onto him and hopefully he isn't as frightened as he is.

I feel better. Thank you =)

tolong
02-18-2010, 06:55 AM
Oh, your so welcome cutie. I don't know if this helps..but shortly after my BF got to Big Sandy, he signed up for the "Challenge Program". The guys that are in the program are housed together in a seperate unit. That Unit seemed to be the quietest as far as any of the other ones. Not totally silent..but quieter..because at the least the inmates in the program where working towards figuring out what some of thier issues are.

dizsqueen
02-20-2010, 04:43 PM
I don't want to scare you, but that place is terrible!!!! I'm sure if he keeps to himself and stays out the way then he will be fine, but Big Sandy is no joke. I think his age might work against him, not due to threats from older inmates. But there are a lot of young men in there around his age, and of course he's gonna want to be around people his own age. He's only really going to be able to hang out with people from his state and if his state gets into it with a group from another state, then he will be required to stand up and fight.
Just tell your son not to get caught up, don't trust no one and just focus on doing his time. He should sign up for as many programs as possible just to keep himself busy.
Wishing you and your son all the best!!!

cutiemix1985
02-21-2010, 09:59 AM
Tolong, that DOES help. Any advice helps. I told him about that program last night. (he hasn't been transferred yet, they are saying next week they will transfer him). I hope he gets into it so he can be housed in that unit. Any little bit helps!

DisQueen- He is my brother, not my son =) I'm only 28! haha. Anyway, thanks for your honesty. Yes, we are both very scared. He's not in a gang and has no gang affiliations so I was hoping that would work for him. He is from a really small town in Illinois and says he probably won't know anyone there, we still have no idea why they are transferring him there of all places but I guess one really never knows what the government is thinking.

I'm just bracing myself. Thank you ALL for your help. Reading every little bit of advice on Big Sandy helps me and my brother immensely.

missinghim97
02-22-2010, 05:10 PM
Hey ladies, has anyone heard from their men? My husband lost his phone and canteen for 30 days because he wouldn't go through the x-ray machine! Anyway, I have not received an email from him since Saturday. So of course I don't know if its due to a lockdown or if something is up. If anyone knows anything, please let me know. Thanks!

lulu0299
02-23-2010, 12:38 AM
@missinghim97,
My man lost his canteen and phone privilages for the same reason. I have not heard from him since saturday either. No emails or calls. Something is up...As soon as you hear something let me know and I will do the same.

NoOne1994
02-23-2010, 01:57 AM
My BF is in transit and today I received a letter from him (that was written on the eve of his transfer) stating he was told he'll be moved to BS as well. He was told it was one of the worst Max facilities and I'm scared as hell as well.

cutiemix1985
02-23-2010, 01:26 PM
tolong, is there a waiting list for the challenge program?

tolong
02-24-2010, 06:57 AM
Yes..there was a wait to get into the program, but it was because the group had already started and they didn't let him join in midway. He was talking to the chaplain and not that they made any special arraingments or anything, but once he was approved he was moved to that unit to wait for the next start up.

missinghim97
02-24-2010, 04:44 PM
@lulu. Hey I just got a letter from my husband. They have been on lockdown since Saturday. Hopefully you have heard from hom already.

cutiemix1985
02-26-2010, 05:48 PM
Well my brother finally arrived, I found out by checking online...anyway, he apparently arrived yesterday. How long is it usually after arriving that they are able to make phone calls?

inva2009
02-27-2010, 06:15 PM
Im happy I log on because I was wondering if they were on lockdown since I havent heard from.

cutiemix1985
03-03-2010, 02:25 PM
Just a headsup, got a letter from my brother today. He said they could be on lockdown for another few weeks! Insane!

tolong
03-04-2010, 08:44 AM
Here's a link to find out info on the lockdowns..though it is a few days behind. Also read the daily reports..sometimes there's additional info.
http://www.cpl33.info/id33.html

cutiemix1985
03-12-2010, 02:13 PM
Hey all! I have a few quick questons:

I got another letter today from my brother and he was saying in Big Sandy they have Sirius radio, does this mean he can get one in his room? or does this mean it's out in the regular areas?

He also mentioned he is gonna buy some adidas, I guess they can wear adidas, air force ones and timbalands...I don't know if this is a good idea for him to do, am i just being naive? I mean can't other inmates steal them off of you and beat you up for them?

I want to write him just that but I don't have anything to back it up with so I probably won't but just wondering your opinions to those of you who have loved ones in Big Sandy.

Third. I don't know if you guys know this, you probably do but I accidentally included two extra stamps on the outside of teh letter...he said he can use up to two of those to mail letters out since I mailed extra so that way he doesn't have to buy them from commissary.
Just a headsup =)

MizPablo1520
03-15-2010, 01:35 AM
Watup ladies,
What's up with the X-ray machine? My man said something about that to me, about him getting in trouble because he went through it and he didn't know he wasn't supposed to. Anyways, since he told me about that incident they went on lockdown. And are still on lockdown now. I believe its due to an inmate protest.Anyways, that's what the moderator said in a recent post.

Hey ladies, has anyone heard from their men? My husband lost his phone and canteen for 30 days because he wouldn't go through the x-ray machine! Anyway, I have not received an email from him since Saturday. So of course I don't know if its due to a lockdown or if something is up. If anyone knows anything, please let me know. Thanks!

lulu0299
03-22-2010, 02:03 AM
The lockdown is because of the inmate protest regarding the Body Scan machine. If anyone wants any further info, let me know, I would be more than happy to share this Valuable info that have in my posession. Washington DC is involved and other organization are involved, thus bringing heat to the institution which doesnt look good on the Warden. So he decided to lock the whole thing down and punish everyone.

MizPablo1520
03-25-2010, 06:39 AM
Wow Lulu,
I would like all the info you have and any info on what we can do about this. My man wrote me and he doesn't have a clue that this is what it's about. He thinks it has to do with the inmates being moved around in the facility. I wrote him with a little info about what you gave me, but am afraid they'll send it back or something.
Thanks for the 411.:angry:

The lockdown is because of the inmate protest regarding the Body Scan machine. If anyone wants any further info, let me know, I would be more than happy to share this Valuable info that have in my posession. Washington DC is involved and other organization are involved, thus bringing heat to the institution which doesnt look good on the Warden. So he decided to lock the whole thing down and punish everyone.

cutiemix1985
03-25-2010, 11:47 AM
THanks Lulu! I Read the email too and I wrote about it to my brother (a bit not TOO much) but don't know if they'll let him read it since they have blacked out other things I sent him. He's only been there for 3 weeks now and the entire time they've been on lockdown.

He told me they are moving everyone around (he isn't being moved but that's probably because he is new) to where they work. For example if someone cleans the library they'll be moved near the library, at least that is what the guards are telling my brother.

I'm really concerned about this place man. Big Sandy seems really crappy. Not that any prison is great but this just seems like the worst of the worst.

cutiemix1985
04-05-2010, 02:28 PM
Anyone know for sure?

I'm pretty sure they are, I received four phone calls from an unknown number (I had my phone on vibrate and didn't see until just now) and called my mom,s he said my brother tried calling my sister earlier and she heard everything and right as she went to press the button to accept the cal she got a text message and it wouldn't go through. I'm so sick, he probably thinks none of us care when that's not the case at all!

Anyway, has anyone else heard anything from their loved one?

missinghim97
04-05-2010, 07:07 PM
CutieMix I wouldn't worry about him thinking that. They were only let out for an hour today to shower and stuff. My husband said the lines were long, and everyone was just trying to get in the shower and send a quick email or get in a phone call before getting locked in again. Tomorrow, I think it will be the same way (so make sure your phones are ready), They really only have one phone call during that time because of the time he has to wait in between phone calls. I think by Wednesday they should be completely off lockdown, but I am hoping for tomorrow because we get new minutes on th 7th and it would suck to lose all of our minutes.

cutiemix1985
04-05-2010, 07:59 PM
Missing -

I appreciate you SOOOOOOOOOOO MUCH!!!!!!!!!! Thank you SO MUCH! I was getting worried that maybe they weren't off of lockdown or he was hurt and was able to call or something so you just alleviated MUCH of my tension, since he's been in Big Sandy they've been on lockdown so I've only gotten to talk to him through the mail.

Thank you SO MUCH! I too hope they get to call again tomorrow and that lockdown is done on Wednesday. WOO!!! Thank you!!!

lulu0299
04-13-2010, 09:33 PM
Hello Ladies :) Whats the latest from Big Sandy? My man is in the SHU, so I know NOTHING except that he is still in the SHU. :( Has the lockdown been completley lifted?

MizPablo1520
04-14-2010, 01:40 AM
My man sent me a memorandum from the warden to "all concerned" dated April 7. This is what it says: Subject: Next Phase - Resumption of Normal Operations

In preparing to return to normal operations, beginning on Thursday, April 8, 2010, modified work call may begin to take place. Initially, some UNICOR workers will report to the factory as called followed by some Facilities details.

As work in UNICOR and Facilities is initiated, other units may be allowed to participate in recreation depending on how operations progress. Specifically, as work commences in various areas, consideration for recreation opportunities might be possible depending on various factors including the safety and security of staff and inmates.

Your continued patience and support during this effort have been helpful and positive. It remains the goal of USP Big Sandy to maintain a safe and secure environment for inmates and staff alike.

So, I assume this means they are off lock-down. But I'm tripping cuz my man talked to me on April 10th, and I haven't heard from him since. I know he has money to call me, and when I checked out the lock-down website it says it's been lifted. But still no phone calls. He's in B-2, so I'm wondering if it has something to do with where he's housed or if they are locked down again. :confused: If any of you ladies have spoke with your loved ones since April 10th, can you let me know. And Lulu, when your man is in the SHU, does he get to write or receive mail?

Hello Ladies :) Whats the latest from Big Sandy? My man is in the SHU, so I know NOTHING except that he is still in the SHU. :( Has the lockdown been completley lifted?

missinghim97
04-14-2010, 03:18 PM
My husband has been off now for a couple of days.

MizPablo1520
04-14-2010, 06:44 PM
Missinghim,
have you spoke with your man on the phone since April 10th? I'm worried and wondering if everyone is unable to use the phone or did something happen to my man?

Thanks

lulu0299
04-15-2010, 02:01 AM
@ MizPablo-He gets my mail and I get his but it gets delayed big time. I still havent got a phone call and they still havent filed an incident report or anything as to WHY he's in the SHU although we have a good idea, but this is so unfair. I hope all is well with you.

cutiemix1985
04-15-2010, 01:02 PM
MzPablo -

I wouldn't worry. Because of the way minutes work in there, only 300 a month, he is probably trying to save some up while he is busy and can. It seems a lot has changed in there.

At least that's what my brother told me he is doing, he calls for about 5 minutes every few days but he is trying to save his minutes so at the end of the month he still has some left.

cutiemix1985
04-15-2010, 07:06 PM
Brother just called. They are still off of lockdown so everything is okay =) Commissary is a bit messed up tho he said!

missinghim97
04-15-2010, 07:34 PM
My husband hasn't called since noon today. I wonder what's up. I thought maybe they were on lockdown again. We are having problems with the email as well. I hate not knowing what is going on.

lulu0299
04-16-2010, 01:56 AM
I STILL have NOT recieved a call or Email...ALL I have recieved are delayed letters that he has written me and they dont give me an explaination of his status...basically he lets me know that he is still alive :( This sucks!

Does anyone have a loved one in the SHU @ Big Sandy or someone that can find out WTF is going on with inmates in the SHU? We have done SHU time before and it was nothing like this! I would get letters every few days and a phone call once a month. :(

missinghim97
04-16-2010, 06:15 AM
@lulu, I know what you are going through. I can see if I can find anything out. Unfortunaetly, I have no idea what is going on now because he never called yesterday and hasn't called yet this morning. He always calls before we go to sleep and in the morning so now I have no idea what is going on. If someone gets any information please let me know.

cutiemix1985
04-16-2010, 03:34 PM
I'm sorry I don't know what the SHU is. =(

I wish I had more info for you all. I did get an email from Corrlinks today asking me to confirm that I wanted to receive emails so I think email is still okay.

missinghim97
04-16-2010, 06:47 PM
Are people still getting calls? I think my husband was moved to Unit C. I received a call from him yesterday morning, but haven't heard from him since. He calls every morning and every night, but nothing since yesterday. I called Big Sandy but they said all phones were working but I know something has to be up because I haven't gotten an email or phone call.

cutiemix1985
04-16-2010, 07:17 PM
My brother just called my mom about a half hour ago so I think all phones are working.

lulu0299
04-17-2010, 11:56 PM
@Cutiemix- SHU stands for Segregation Housing Unit or the Hole :(

MizPablo1520
04-18-2010, 05:46 AM
Yeah, I finally got a letter from my man, but thanks for the information.:thumbsup:

My brother just called my mom about a half hour ago so I think all phones are working.