View Full Version : I'm on probation for my 1st dui - question about drug testing

Christiangirl
10-15-2010, 05:40 PM
So, yes, I got my first dui. Sucks. I'm on probation for a year. Well, I blew so high that I had to go to a D/A eval and they sent me to do 3 sessions with a substance abuse counselor. Her recommendation to the court was that I get random 80 alcohol tests.

So, I go to my first probation appt and was given a "drug test". My PO asked me what drugs I was taking legally - I told her I was on an antidepressant, and thta was it. I had not drank like a week before going and nothing happened. 2nd visit no test.

My question is - I have heard about this ETG 80 alcohol test. It's supposedly really expensive and hard to find. The test I got the first appt was pulled out of a pile of drug tests that all looked the same. So, am i ok if I drink beer on a Friday night and go to probation on Monday? I now it's stupid to play with the rules but I was just wondering. Does the PO use a special test for me or whta? On my probation paperwork it says "random drug testing" - which is stupid to me because I've never done drugs, never been int rouble before.

Cara1947
10-15-2010, 06:38 PM
So, yes, I got my first dui. Sucks. I'm on probation for a year. Well, I blew so high that I had to go to a D/A eval and they sent me to do 3 sessions with a substance abuse counselor. Her recommendation to the court was that I get random 80 alcohol tests.

So, I go to my first probation appt and was given a "drug test". My PO asked me what drugs I was taking legally - I told her I was on an antidepressant, and thta was it. I had not drank like a week before going and nothing happened. 2nd visit no test.

My question is - I have heard about this ETG 80 alcohol test. It's supposedly really expensive and hard to find. The test I got the first appt was pulled out of a pile of drug tests that all looked the same. So, am i ok if I drink beer on a Friday night and go to probation on Monday? I now it's stupid to play with the rules but I was just wondering. Does the PO use a special test for me or whta? On my probation paperwork it says "random drug testing" - which is stupid to me because I've never done drugs, never been int rouble before.

Sorry, you HAVE done drugs . . . it was called alcohol! I suggest you find a way to take care of the PROBLEM and not worry about how to skirt the PO. Believe me, they WILL catch you and you WILL be doing time!

nimuay
10-15-2010, 07:09 PM
Cara is right - your thinking is seriously off. You are worrying about how to circumvent a test rather than avoiding alcohol. For your sake, I hope s/he pulls every test and every variety of test they have. Perhaps that will give you time to start some sober thinking.

billysbutton
10-15-2010, 07:22 PM
Remember those POs know what they are doing and YOU WILL GET NAILED. Thats common practice for them to stop dropping tests on you. Its called giving you enough slack to hang yourself with. Your not special and its when your doin your best they are the most suspect. If you really want to impress them and help yourself try some AA meetings.

hrlyfan
10-16-2010, 08:44 AM
i agree with these ladies, truely take it from someone who has seen this happen again and again, and no u wouldn't be ok, here in indy, they use a test that can test back up to 5 days prior to the test date. trust me if u don't want to end up in doc just dont do it. a good way to rehab, every time you want a drink go to the gym work out! it really does help!...... :)

bumblebee37
10-17-2010, 10:06 PM
The drug/alcohol test they give here in Texas is done with a swab in the mouth. It goes back 5 days and will test you positive for alcohol if you have too much perfume on, rinsed with something like Listerine, or have actually drank within that time.
It doesn't sound like you are taking this very serious if you are still talking about drinking on a Friday night then testing a few days later. I talk to you because I am a alcoholic and I see the brick wall you are headed for. I was lucky enough never to have got caught or killed someone on my drunken drives home. Do you know what I'm talking about? When you jump up the next morning to see if your car is home too...
What you should do is visit the Parents With Children in Prison forum. There are a few mothers there that are actually facing losing their children to prison because their kids drove drunk and killed someone. This effects the whole family. How would it effect yours?
You still have a chance at life. Surly you can set your drink of choice aside and do what you are suppose to. Who knows you might find that a sober life is actually a good one. You don't have hang overs, you don't have to worry what you said or did while you were drunk, you don't have regrets and wonder why no one is talking to you...I could go on and on.
Have you looked at the drug/alcohol support forums here? There are many there that are working towards sobriety so you wouldn't be alone.
Okay, so I will quit preaching but there is so much more to life then trying to beat the system because they usually catch you anyway.

HisBlueEyedGal
10-18-2010, 07:28 PM
If you're truly wanting to take responsibility for yourself and your actions, then you need to education yourself. Go to some substance abuse meetings. Don't think of it as a guilt trip - those classes actually have a lot of really good information in them. Find out what alcohol actually is, the way the human body usually reacts to alcohol and why it makes us feel "drunk". Let it sink in, girl. The only way to have the occasional drink and still be responsible is to learn to not abuse alcohol.

I think an even better way to educate yourself is to ask the substance abuse counselor to teach you the facts - like college text book, educational facts - about alcohol. Wanna know why she recommended the random tests? Because she knew that you're aparently not taking this thing seriously at all, and she's concerned that you'd rather drink yourself stupid than accept the fact that you could have killed someone. Is that true? Are you really going back to the drug that nearly ruined your life? Why? Don't dismiss those questions as preachy. They're important.

You should also educate yourself by reading your probation rules more carefully. Most probation has a "zero alcohol tolerance" written into it's rules - meaning you're not allowed to drink at all. Not a can. Not a shot. Not a sip. Is alcohol worth risking jail time? Do you even realize how hard the courts come down on someone who has multiple DUIs? And if you're willing to go back to drinking, then how do you know you'll never get another DUI? You obviously don't know how long it takes alcohol to leave your system. So why not just leave it out of your system completely?

Take this thing seriously, girl. The fact that you're trying to figure out if, how and when you can go back to drinking is a really, really bad sign. :( Take that DUI as a sign that you really need to clear your head and do some soul searching. What you do can, will and does affect the lives of others around you. I cannot possibly emphasize that enough.

Finnymint
11-26-2012, 01:08 PM
Sorry, you HAVE done drugs . . . it was called alcohol! I suggest you find a way to take care of the PROBLEM and not worry about how to skirt the PO. Believe me, they WILL catch you and you WILL be doing time!

I swear some of you all are so snobby. You're all condemning this guy as though he's life long meth junkie. He said he got his first dui. You don't know the circumstances of his life let alone his arrest. Yes drinking and driving is bad and very dangerous, but that the point "drinking AND driving". He could be a decent guy who made a one time mistake. The guy doesn't sound like an alcoholic so frankly ya if he's over 21 why should it matter if he drinks but doesn't drive? I mean how different a person will he be by end of probation and doesn't drink when he'll be free to after its over (I imagine anyone would still drink as much before)? Also quit acting like drinking is a mortal sin. Christ sake everyone does. Not a single person I have met in college who didnt drink before they were 21.

nimuay
11-26-2012, 09:14 PM
The problem is NOT us being snobby.

Go back and read bumblebee's reply...she's had serious alcohol problems in her life and she's got a great read on the mentality.

So let's assume s/he drives Friday night after 'a beer or two' and seriously injures someone . . . do YOU want to take the responsibility for having encouraged that? Or that s/he does blow hot and is jerked off probation? Or would you like to estimate how many times before this s/he has driven drunk but not been picked up? Yeah, we all drank before we were 21, but we didn't all drive. And we don't have to.