View Full Version : No parole in FL, why?

brave heart
10-11-2010, 03:53 PM
can any one tell me why there is no parole in the state of florida??? i was wondering if our kids do good in prison what do they have??? is there anything that they can do for themselfs to get out early?? or do they really have to do 85% of there time regardless?? please somone tell me there has to be a better way .. brave heart...and another thing they put my son in a re-entry programe , dont get me wrong i am happy he is doing somthing with his time, but i thought that was for people that were ready to go home ?? just one of my days were i am missing him so much , my mind wonders:confused: brave heart...

Paralegal USA
10-11-2010, 04:02 PM
Unfortunately, unless a conviction or sentence is successfully challenged on appeal or by Florida Rules of Criminal Procedure 3.800 or 3.850, a Florida inmate must serve at least 85% of their sentence, more yet if gain time credits are withheld or forfeited.

Sadly, Florida is light years behind other states when it comes to offender rehabilitation. As I have posted elsewhere on this site, it will take legislative action to change the draconian sentencing laws and prison conditions in Florida.

djsmom
10-11-2010, 04:10 PM
yeah well north carolina is too. we have mandatory sentencing. which means they are sentenced within a range...the lower number of their range is when they will be released IF they have gotten their gain time by working, staying out of trouble, etc. no wonder the recidivism rate is so high....lengthy stays for many who dont need it, which I believe can have disastrous results. not to mention the fact that judges have no leeway at all to deviate from the sentencing chart.

brave heart
10-11-2010, 05:25 PM
Unfortunately, unless a conviction or sentence is successfully challenged on appeal or by Florida Rules of Criminal Procedure 3.800 or 3.850, a Florida inmate must serve at least 85% of their sentence, more yet if gain time credits are withheld or forfeited.

Sadly, Florida is light years behind other states when it comes to offender rehabilitation. As I have posted elsewhere on this site, it will take legislative action to change the draconian sentencing laws and prison conditions in Florida.
thank you for your replie,, i just dont understand this ,, what kind of country locks up young men ,, for years,,, without giving them a second chance to get it right?? when they have never been in trouble before , never hurt anybody,, i truly dont understand this,, and they wonder why this country is in so much dept,, before you know it the only jobs , to be had will be in the prison feild , because there are so many young people there who do not need to be there ,, but that is were most of this countrys money is going ,, what a waste:angry: hope obamma reads this wake up america,, sorry but it makes me angry,, brave heart..

Gavin123
10-11-2010, 05:42 PM
Yes, as with my son, this is it... 85%. I am in the process of looking at the new laws in s.c. but I don't think it will help my son in any way. The only thing about this is they have no parole or probation when they get out. They don't have to look over their shoulder for 5 or 10 years. As a matter of fact, lots of inmates, if there parole comes up around the same time they max out...they opt to max out because they don't have to be on parole or anything... Yes it sux, they aren't eligible for anything as I can read...except 3 days per month off the sentence for good behavior in s.c. The new laws, which I can't make head or tails out of I believe here they can earn 6 days per month for going to school or working...max of 72 days per year...still not sure my son is eligible for this yet. This would be 2 yrs off his sentence if so...got to find out. It is all a mess and I'm still not sure who exactly who to talk to about all this, but I will find out soon. My son is not a trouble maker, so he will, so far, get his 3 days off per month...but if it is 6 days per month, he will go to school then work to get out possibly 2 yrs earlier...with no probation or parole. He will be let out and that's it...nothing, no checking in as far as I know.

I know your in the same boat as mine. If and when I find out anything at all, I will PM you and let you know everything I find out...I know, it isn't fair at all, it sux. BUT, we'll get thru it, K

brave heart
10-11-2010, 06:16 PM
thanks gavins mom,, i know, you know, how i feel,, but none of this makes sence ,, the money they spend to keep a inmate in prison is alot,, i dont know how much?? but i know it is not cheap,, i know we will get through this , i am a long for the ride just like you,, but i just wish the goverment and the big wigs who make theese laws,, would wake up.. my son to, is not a trouble maker, nor does he have a wrap sheet,, just think of the money they could save if they gave theese kids a second chance:idea: just having one of my days to vent, brave heart....

jimmie'smom
10-11-2010, 06:26 PM
Here in Wisconsin my son was sentenced under the 'truth and sentencing law'. No chance for early release of any kind. No matter how good he his and doesn't get any marks against him, he still has to serve the total 5 yrs. Inmates have no reason to 'be good' unless they break the law because nothing helps. My son has been in for over 4 1/2 yrs and our doc can't seem to find room for him to complete his court ordered classes!! There is no justice in the justice system.

Niki
10-11-2010, 07:47 PM
Unfortunately, Florida abolished parole in 1983. There are a number of states that abolished parole and some of them have subsequently reinstated some form of parole. For the most part all we have now is the gain time they can receive up to the point where they are at 85% of their sentence. There is a one time 60 day gain time award available for inmates that complete their GED or vocational training and another 60 day award for inmates who commit some outstanding deed (like saving someone's life)

It's good that your son is in a re-entry program. Usually those come into play within the last year or less of an inmate's time but actually I think it might be better to do it sooner because part of the re-entry program is to give the inmates suggestions on how to write a resume, how to interview and things like that. The sooner they receive that training, the more time they will have to think about it and become more confident in their abilities.

I completely understand your frustration because I have it too. I know that my son made some mistakes in his life but he didn't do anything to anyone besides himself. I just can't understand how making them sit in prison does anything to help them with their problems. I'm so glad that my son has taken it upon himself to better himself while he's in prison because I can only imagine what happens to those that just adjust to their new environment and learn nothing but how to become a better criminal.

brave heart
10-12-2010, 03:01 PM
thank you niki, i was having a hard time understanding all of this,, plus my son seems down latey,, he said he feels like he is sbout to lose it,, he told me i dont have anything to look forward to mom,, i do feel so helpless when he talks like that,, i try to be strong for him, and tell him we will get through this,, but inside my heart is breaking ,, somtimes i am lost for words:( i pray everyday that the good lord , will see him through this , i keep going but i sure do hate this, brave heart....

Niki
10-12-2010, 03:57 PM
It really is hard for them when they have so little to do day after day. Do you know if there are any other programs where your son is that he could apply to be a part of? If not, there are some correspondence courses that he could enroll in. My son is taking one through Stratford Career Institute and he pays about $38 per month for it(actually my daughter-in-law pays it for him). The other thing my son does to occupy his time is reading. He mostly reads non-fiction in subjects he is interested in. He is also in a faith-based dorm where they receive alot of extra programs not available to the general population.

Basically your son is going to have to figure out ways to use his time productively so that he doesn't end up just hanging around with the guys all day long learning how to be a better criminal or losing what little self-esteem he has at this point. Keep encouraging him and give him ideas for things he could be doing with his time. I know he has quite awhile to go and I'm sure that weighs heavily on him as it does on you.

Keep praying for him and I will too. Hugs....Niki

brave heart
10-12-2010, 05:01 PM
thanks niki,, i know he is taking his GED, right now , and he is in the re-entry programe , i do try to keep him supplied with books ,, i dont know if he was just having a bad day,, i will know more when he calls me to- night maybe i could get him some collage courses when he is finished his GED, , thank you for writing me back:) i will keep praying,, ALWAYS... brave heart..

wifeofMichael
10-13-2010, 05:35 AM
Ok, someone help me out. Is the GED credit really going to lower the date more than 85%? Cause I'm thinking not. I'm thinking it's a good thing to have and to do while inside, but some believe it will get them out before 85% of their sentence is serve.

Paralegal USA
10-13-2010, 07:44 AM
Ok, someone help me out. Is the GED credit really going to lower the date more than 85%? Cause I'm thinking not. I'm thinking it's a good thing to have and to do while inside, but some believe it will get them out before 85% of their sentence is serve.

As nktpt replied above, "There is a one time 60 day gain time award available for inmates that complete their GED or vocational training and another 60 day award for inmates who commit some outstanding deed (like saving someone's life)".

charlotte98
10-13-2010, 08:06 AM
in Texas they have to do 100% of their time if they are violent offenders.

Lorraine
10-13-2010, 08:09 AM
in Texas they have to do 100% of their time if they are violent offenders.

That's not true. VO's with aggravated charges need to serve 50% to become eligible for parole, but there is no law that says anyone needs to serve 100%.

or-mtwt
10-14-2010, 10:54 AM
this because of the era of TOUGH ON CRIME when politician's use that to get elected any time there is a big case come out in the news, everyone goes screaming that the world was coming to an end and we have to lock everyone up and throw away the key...

it also doesn't help that people like Charlie Manson or his family comes up for parole now and then...

spin721
10-19-2010, 10:03 AM

No, an inmate will still do 85%. It doesn't matter if a person saved 200 lives and completed the GED course. 85% is mandatory.

Paralegal USA
10-19-2010, 10:09 AM
No, an inmate will still do 85%. It doesn't matter if a person saved 200 lives and completed the GED course. 85% is mandatory.

Incorrect. the relatively minor sentence reductions referred to in my forst post on this topic are available under the circumstances depicted.

spin721
10-19-2010, 10:25 AM
Incorrect. the relatively minor sentence reductions referred to in my forst post on this topic are available under the circumstances depicted.

I am not talking about a 3.800 or a 3.850 sentence modification. I agree with you on that. What I am saying is and extra 60 days of gain time for GED, saving a life...won't get a person out before 85% is served.

spin721
10-19-2010, 06:40 PM

So sit back and enjoy the ride. You probably have not done 6 years. I don't speak from books and legal jargon. And I am just as educated as you. The next time you want to tell me I am wrong about prison operations...please be clear about it. I know how the FDOC operates.

or-mtwt
11-07-2010, 07:03 PM
That's not true. VO's with aggravated charges need to serve 50% to become eligible for parole, but there is no law that says anyone needs to serve 100%.
If you are sentenced to 100% of your time you will not get any gain time what's so ever and I know of 2 guys that are doing just that...

JudyA68
11-08-2010, 03:42 AM
My husband is also serving a 3 yr manditory sentence. He must serve 100% of his time. He is not allowed any gain time. He will not get any credit for his ged classes nor any gain time if he saved a life. He must do every day of the 3yrs.

somebodysmom2
11-18-2010, 12:13 PM
Hello, my daughters 85% will be up in 4 mths 3 days I know she has done all her pre test for GED and is waiting for them to give her the test only since her time is almost up they seem to not have the time for her to take it or shecould be home in two the system sucks.