View Full Version : What are my rights when being questioned by US Marshals who are pursuing a fugitive?

WonderWoman
09-29-2010, 11:24 AM
My friend was being transported between a Fed penitentiary to a County Jail to face additional state charges. When the van stopped to make a call, he managed to escape and has been on the lam for 2 weeks. Because I'm his closest friend, I've been visited by 7 US Marshals in force (bullet proof vests, guns, tasers, etc.), and interrogated for an hour. I reported all info I have, let them search my house, let them take some letters that my friend wrote to me, called the Marshal when I received mail from fugitive (which was mailed before he escaped), and called them when he sent me a message through facebook. I have been nothing but cooperative, but now they have started visiting (and scaring) my family members all over the country. People who have had no contact with said fugitive. During the interrogation, they told me that "just lying to a Federal Marshal is a felony". If I am charged and convicted of aiding and abetting a fugitive, I can be sentenced to jail time and most likely deported since I am a Canadian citizen. Do you think I should retain a lawyer? I haven't done anything wrong, but I feel like I'm so unprotected. I don't know when legal and reasonable search becomes harassment. Any ideas? Thanks! How do I find a lawyer who specializes in such cases?

aba
09-29-2010, 11:28 AM
I think no matter what you should cooperate to the fullest extent with the Marshals. One, they don't play. As you know. Two, they're going to find him. And three, you don't want them to make life hard for you by charging you with obstruction of justice and hence risking your immigration status. I would consult a lawyer and have the lawyer contact the Marshals and the US Attorney's office. But I would tell the lawyer you want to cooperate and protect your status at the same time. He's a fugitive, he escaped from federal custody. He's screwed. Don't go down with him.

I am not a LAWYER. I'm just giving you my opinion of what I would do if I was in your shoes. Good luck.

Colorado_Lawyer
09-29-2010, 12:19 PM
You need to hire an attorney, and talk to this attorney not this board.

WonderWoman
09-29-2010, 01:11 PM
You need to hire an attorney, and talk to this attorney not this board.

I agree, but have no clue how to find an appropriate, experienced attorney who can help me. Any suggestions? Besides using the phone book?

Colorado_Lawyer
09-29-2010, 07:07 PM
Start with the yellow pages or google. You want to find a criminal defense attorney who has experience in US District Court and with federal crimes.

Tuesday123
09-29-2010, 07:09 PM
I was handcuffed and held by the US marshalls for 5 hours.

Please watch this.

http://www.prisontalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=503365

You do have the right to remain silent, and you need to understand that by doing so does not mean you are saying you are guilty

If he is not being reported as living with you, they had no right to search your house.

As of today, stop all comunication, tell all your family members to do the same.

My friend was being transported between a Fed penitentiary to a County Jail to face additional state charges. When the van stopped to make a call, he managed to escape and has been on the lam for 2 weeks. Because I'm his closest friend, I've been visited by 7 US Marshals in force (bullet proof vests, guns, tasers, etc.), and interrogated for an hour. I reported all info I have, let them search my house, let them take some letters that my friend wrote to me, called the Marshal when I received mail from fugitive (which was mailed before he escaped), and called them when he sent me a message through facebook. I have been nothing but cooperative, but now they have started visiting (and scaring) my family members all over the country. People who have had no contact with said fugitive. During the interrogation, they told me that "just lying to a Federal Marshal is a felony". If I am charged and convicted of aiding and abetting a fugitive, I can be sentenced to jail time and most likely deported since I am a Canadian citizen. Do you think I should retain a lawyer? I haven't done anything wrong, but I feel like I'm so unprotected. I don't know when legal and reasonable search becomes harassment. Any ideas? Thanks! How do I find a lawyer who specializes in such cases?

aba
09-29-2010, 07:13 PM
The case you're referring to has been getting media attention. I would definitely get a lawyer ASAP. Very scary situation. When they get your friend I don't think he's going to face his state charges until the feds get done with him and he gets out of the ADMAX.

Colorado_Lawyer
09-29-2010, 07:55 PM
You need an attorney NOW. As in tonight. Get on google and find one. If you cannot get a hold of someone tonight, then call first thing in the morning. Tell them that you are a suspect in the escape case that is getting all of the media attention. If you are questioned or picked up in the mean time, do not say a word to anyone without talking to an attorney first. Remember, it is permissible for law enforcement to lie and deceive you in order to try to trick you into saying something that can be used against you.

ScaredWife77
09-30-2010, 03:17 AM
This doesn't apply to you but could help his family if the Feds are also threatening them....
"Harboring, aiding, & abetting a felon does not apply to the felons spouse, parent, grandparent, child, brother or sister. Whether by blood or marriage." So those people can tell them to take their threats and shove it!!

WonderWoman
09-30-2010, 09:31 AM
This doesn't apply to you but could help his family if the Feds are also threatening them....
"Harboring, aiding, & abetting a felon does not apply to the felons spouse, parent, grandparent, child, brother or sister. Whether by blood or marriage." So those people can tell them to take their threats and shove it!!

Hi, thanks for the info. Could you please tell me where you found it. I will pass it along to his family. Thanks!

Colorado_Lawyer
09-30-2010, 10:05 AM
That is not a correct statement of the law, so do not pass it on.

Hi, thanks for the info. Could you please tell me where you found it. I will pass it along to his family. Thanks!

Lifesaver837
09-30-2010, 10:17 AM
Simply put: get a lawyer. There are thousands in New York.

And the Marshals will keep banging down doors, searching for him and evidence til they find him. They will find him; it's only a matter of when. They are very good at what they do. Tell everyone to be cooperative and helpful. If they follow the Marshals' directions, things will go smoother. If they say to get down, get down. Don't get back up - you will get stomped on.

KamisSister
09-30-2010, 10:22 AM
I woudln't be contacting his family at all. I would get a lawyer and continue to turn in any communication whatsoever from this man to the authorities. Facebook, twitter, skywritten message in the sky WHATEVER.

GoodBI_girl
09-30-2010, 10:25 AM
Simply put: get a lawyer. There are thousands in New York.

And the Marshals will keep banging down doors, searching for him and evidence til they find him. They will find him; it's only a matter of when. They are very good at what they do. Tell everyone to be cooperative and helpful. If they follow the Marshals' directions, things will go smoother. If they say to get down, get down. Don't get back up - you will get stomped on.

And this is not the time you want to "see what your rights are", a start thumbing your nose at the Marshals. Seeing your family and friends works because they will tell you to "tell what you know" to get them off the family/frieds back. More often that not people are lying to LE and they know it and act accordingly.

BlueEyedEllie
09-30-2010, 10:48 AM
I never heard of this??:confused:If it's true dog the bounty hunter violated it many times.:rolleyes:Seriously though,like others have said be quiet and get an attny ASAP.and most importantly have no contact with him whatsoever!! friend or no friend,cut him off.He's not worth going to prison for and if he was a decent friend he wouldn't of pulled this stunt and put you in this position.

Colorado_Lawyer
09-30-2010, 02:19 PM
It isn't true.

I never heard of this??:confused:If it's true dog the bounty hunter violated it many times.:rolleyes:Seriously though,like others have said be quiet and get an attny ASAP.and most importantly have no contact with him whatsoever!! friend or no friend,cut him off.He's not worth going to prison for and if he was a decent friend he wouldn't of pulled this stunt and put you in this position.

ScaredWife77
09-30-2010, 05:09 PM
I'm sorry. The info I had previously found was in state statute. It does not apply at the federal level. I apologize for the mistake. But I think it is valuable information for other people. People who have the police threatening them with charges and jail time if they do not turn in their loved ones. I learned about this law real quick. It applies to Wisconsin and a number of other states.....

"Remarkably, in 14 states, the prosecution of family members for harboring fugitives is not an option, regardless of the nature of the crime or the extent of the family member’s involvement. These states typically exempt spouses, parents, grandparents, children, grandchildren, and siblings from prosecution for providing assistance to an offender after the commission of a crime “with the intent that the offender avoids or escapes detection, arrest, trial, or punishment.” (For those wondering, there is no federal law that provides a family member with an exemption from prosecution.)

In addition to these 14 state exemptions, an additional four states reduce liability for an immediate family member but do not exempt them from prosecution entirely.

Florida’s statutory exemption for family members is an interesting example. It forbids prosecution of spouses, parents, grandparents, children, or grandchildren for helping an “offender avoid or escape detection, arrest, trial, or punishment,” with one important exception; the exemption does not apply if the primary offender is alleged to have committed child abuse or murder of a child under the age of 18, “unless the court finds that the person [claiming the exemption] is a victim of domestic violence.”

only1love
09-30-2010, 09:53 PM
I don't usually respond to this sort of thing because I am not a lawyer, but I was the fiance of a federal fugitive. I had NO idea he was a fugitive and NO idea he was in trouble. Yes, they questioned me and a few times. They were not friendly but professional. They did not destroy or "kick in" my home. They quickly saw that I was telling the truth and they moved on.
Be honest. Dont make speculations and if you need a lawyer, get one. I consulted one told him everything and I am glad I took the time and spent the money for the consultation. In my case, I had done nothing wrong and did not need a lawyer.

WonderWoman
10-13-2010, 10:01 AM
My dearest friend, Albert Vouté (pronounced Voo-tay), was shot to death on Friday, Oct. 8th near I-84 in Danbury, CT.

"State Police have identified the man who was shot and killed on Interstate 84 in Danbury Friday evening.
Police said that 36-year-old Albert James Vouté III had a lengthy criminal record in several states and was most recently wanted following his escape from Martinsburg, W. Va.
Police attempted to stop Vouté after he stole a car from the Food Bag convenience store in Danbury.
Vouté fled on foot and was observed by a Connecticut State Trooper on I-84 in the area of exit 4, according to police.
Police said that Vouté was in possession of what appeared to be a handgun and at one point directed the weapon at a state trooper.
Police said that no shots were fired by Vouté.
The trooper discharged his firearm, fatally wounding Vouté, according to police."

The trooper is on administrative leave until an investigation is made (which is normal under such circumstances). It is my belief that Albert did not have a gun, but knew that acting as if he did would get him shot. He preferred death to the misery and torture he had already experienced during a long life in prison.

I miss him terribly. In spite of all the grim, negative reports about his character, Albert also had a wonderful, witty, creative, funny and sensitive side that few people knew. I was one of the fortunate ones.

May he rest in peace.

Thank you to everyone on this forum who offered support to me during this very painful ordeal. I am grateful.

seansbabyluv
10-13-2010, 10:37 AM
I am truly sorry for your loss. May he now finally rest.

Niki
10-13-2010, 11:44 AM
My thoughts and prayers are with you and Mr Voute's family during this difficult time. Regardless of what he may have done, he was still someone's son and someone's friend and one's value as a loved one is never diminished by any action....Hugs....Niki