View Full Version : Any way to expedite an inmates transfer?

SmartAceW0LF
09-29-2010, 04:32 AM
From what I understand, inmates housed in local Parish facilities often remain there for the duration of their sentence unless they are sentenced to life. Is this true? And if so, surely there must be some way to get the inmate moved to a facility offering a little more freedom of movement and the ability to begin working on the arduous task of rehabilitation and occupational training and such. My 21 year old son was recently sentenced to 13 years for Attempted Armed Robbery. Being an aggravated offense, he has to do 85% of the term. Having first-hand knowledge of the differences between Parish and State facilities, I am immensely troubled with the notion of him languishing in a Parish jail. Can anyone help me or point me in the right direction to get his eventual assignment taken care of in an expedient manner? I know that having someone out here rattling some chains or cages goes a long way in getting things done. Thanks in advance.

LifeTraveler
09-29-2010, 12:24 PM
From what I understand, inmates housed in local Parish facilities often remain there for the duration of their sentence unless they are sentenced to life. Is this true? And if so, surely there must be some way to get the inmate moved to a facility offering a little more freedom of movement and the ability to begin working on the arduous task of rehabilitation and occupational training and such. My 21 year old son was recently sentenced to 13 years for Attempted Armed Robbery. Being an aggravated offense, he has to do 85% of the term. Having first-hand knowledge of the differences between Parish and State facilities, I am immensely troubled with the notion of him languishing in a Parish jail. Can anyone help me or point me in the right direction to get his eventual assignment taken care of in an expedient manner? I know that having someone out here rattling some chains or cages goes a long way in getting things done. Thanks in advance.

Once upon a time, it was just a matter of putting in a transfer request. Now it's become more of a nightmare and cage rattling. The problem in Louisiana right now is that every facility is so overcrowded there is almost no place to put a DOC inmate anymore. The other problem is that once a parish facility houses a DOC inmate, they are loathe to give that inmate up because they get paid to house the inmate. They will tell you that they'll transfer if you can get another body to replace that inmate.

My husband's parole was revoked 2 1/2 years ago. In that span, he was moved 7 times! The last time he was finally placed in a DOC facility.

Has your son been placed at Hunt's for classification yet? If not, I would start there. Here is the link for Louisiana DOC. http://www.corrections.state.la.us/ On the side bar, there is a link for "Contact Us" I would start with Adult Services.