View Full Version : Hardship Transfer?

ssscorpio
09-22-2010, 09:19 PM
My brother was just placed at Hyde way out in Swan Quarter, NC. Our sick elderly mom is caring for his 3 little ones (he is a single dad). There is no way for her to get out there (over 4 hours each way) due to health and finances. These kids need to see their dad....I am hearing something about a Hardship Transfer. We know little about this DOC stuff...this is our only time ever dealing with prisons and NC DOC...can anyone offer information? Many, many thanks.

09-22-2010, 11:03 PM
1st - Welcome to PTO

2nd - The Family and Friends Handbook is a very good place to start to know what is going on and what to expect. http://www.doc.state.nc.us/Publications/2010Handbook.pdf

3rd - The NC DOC did away with 'Hardship Transfers' - too many and abuse of the system. It's not that they will NOT happen but rather it has been extremely been cut back and is on a case-by-case basis. As you can see below there are many factors involved - not just the need to be close to a family member. You don't mention it but I see you're in WV - and I can pretty much be certain that a out-of-state transfer is out of the question.

Page 40 of the handbook:
Can an inmate be transferred to a prison close to home?
The Division of Prisons recognizes that families would like their relative in prison to be housed closer to home. Unfortunately, due to the limited amount of bed space, custody level, the inmate’s program needs, and other factors, transfers close to home may not be possible. If an inmate wants to transfer to another prison, he or she must write a request to their case manager. However, this does not guarantee that the transfer will be granted.

4th - Has he sent visitation applications to her for her and the children? (does she have legal guardianship through the courts over the children?). Those will need to be completed (answer ALL questions, if the question does not apply the answer is NO), sent back to the facility where he is at (DO NOT SEND THEM BACK TO HIM), and be approved before any visit can happen. One person, one application - the legal guardian needs to sign the children's applications (the guardian's signature, not the children's), attach a legible photocopy of the child's birth certificate and a legible photocopy of the court order showing guardianship.

Again, welcome to PTO

gol
11-11-2010, 05:13 AM
My brother was just placed at Hyde way out in Swan Quarter, NC. Our sick elderly mom is caring for his 3 little ones (he is a single dad). There is no way for her to get out there (over 4 hours each way) due to health and finances. These kids need to see their dad....I am hearing something about a Hardship Transfer. We know little about this DOC stuff...this is our only time ever dealing with prisons and NC DOC...can anyone offer information? Many, many thanks.

Call that prison and ask for the program director (or at least anyone in programs). Ask them how long your brother has to be there to put in a transfer request and if he can put in a request early because of the medical hardship of his mother and what paperwork they need. That would allow him to put in his request faster at least. Just remember that the prison he's at has no control over when he transfers or if he transfers at all.