View Full Version : my husband was arrested today and i dont know how to cash his check

08-18-2010, 06:19 PM
my husband was arrested today how do i cash his work checks?

08-18-2010, 07:00 PM
Wow, you aint wasting no time, getting that money are you? :)

You CANT cash his checks, without his signature on them UNLESS you have a joint account, and even then you will have to have him sign them, with your name underneath the signature.

If he is in jail, its likely (at least here, you can) you can take the check there and they will allow him to sign them. Here, they dont give you any shit, but it could be different other places.

I wouldnt go signing his name to them, otherwise you might be sitting in the cell next to him. :)

08-18-2010, 08:26 PM
If you have a joint account you can cash them.

08-18-2010, 09:27 PM
Its true, you can cash or deposit his checks if you have a joint acct.
It may not be all available to you at the time, as it depends sometimes on how much is in the acct, how long its been open etc......
but you should be able to if you have a joint acct.
Otherwise all you could do would be deposit them for him.

08-18-2010, 10:04 PM
I believe if you write 'deposit only' on them, you can put them in your joint account. Otherwise, IDK

08-18-2010, 10:09 PM
you will need for him to sign a power of attorney over to you in order for you to legally cash his checks.

08-19-2010, 02:21 AM
I worked at a well know bank as a Teller. If you can get him to endorse the check over to you than you can make a deposit into your own account. If you both have a joint account simply write FOR DEPOSIT ONLY on the back and deposit it. Depending on the issuing bank of the check and your bank you MIGHT be able to have it chased same day. But with most banks there is an overnight hold. If the check exceeds a certain amount a longer hold might be placed.

gods mercy
08-19-2010, 06:10 AM
what a bummer hope all works out for you
sorry you have to go threw this good luck

08-19-2010, 06:21 AM
I agree with the other posters, it should not be a problem with a joint account. However if not then if can sign them then you can get him to sign it and then put it into your account, again though it will take some days for the check to clear. I am pretty sure a power of attorney will work also, but he would have to get one in the jail or prison he was at and that may also take some time!

08-19-2010, 06:51 AM
depends on where you are and who you know. for the most part, the posters are right: a joint bank account is best...or getting his power of attorney. in my town, i've done business with a little mom and pop store with my man for so many years, that when i walked in and told them he went to jail, they cashed the check without question. this doesn't happen much anywhere anymore...just don't get caught at forging his name or you'll most likely be sitting next to him in there!

08-19-2010, 04:12 PM
Before Direct Deposit became available to us, I routinely had to handle my husband's checks. I simply wrote "For Deposit Only to Acct.# xxxxxxxx" in the endorsement window.
Never a single problem.
One check, requiring a signature, was deposited with my signature and "On Behalf of Husband's Name", it took two extra days but it cleared. (That will only work for a joint account deposit. If both names on the check are not on the account, I know of no financial institution that will accept that method)

LM's Tinkerbell
08-19-2010, 04:36 PM
I never have had any issues either, just by writing for deposit only, and signing them.

08-19-2010, 04:43 PM
I have deposited checks into my grandfather's account for him. I wrote for deposit only on them and gave the teller his account number. I make deposits for my mom in the same way at her bank. The bank will take it as long as you have the account number.
If he does not have an account the only option I would think would be to have a POA.