View Full Version : Info on Halfway Houses in Kentucky

reneebaxte197
08-13-2010, 02:23 PM
Ok, so I'm new to PTO, and have a few questions I need answered. I searched this website for about three hours last night trying to find out what I need to know. I found some very useful information from some very informed people but still had some questions. My husband, T, is currently in a minimum security prison. He works outside everyday. I talked to him yesterday. He had been to see his caseworker. She told him he was eligible to go to a halfway house (he's just a year and a couple weeks from the board). I have no experience or knowledge about Kentucky halfway houses. He thinks he may go to the one in Covington, but we are not sure. Can anyone give me some information about the process to actually going to a halfway house? Who makes the decision? Does the halfway house choose who they want, etc? Do they get furloughs? Does it usually mean they will make parole if they go to a halfway house and do well? A friend of mine also told me that usually when they go to a halfway house they are home within six month, is this true? I know he has a year to the board but can this time be shorter for any reason or will they wait six more months to move him? I hope someone can answer some of these questions for me. I'm also sorry to bombard everyone with so many questions at once but I would like to know more about halfway houses. I looked up their websites but didn't feel like there was much information there or on Kentucky DOC page about them. Is it hard to get transferred to one? Please help!

patchouli
08-13-2010, 04:29 PM
That information (about furloughs) isn't listed on the DOC page that lists the 1/2way houses (which is in a "sticky" at the top of the page in our Kentucky Prison Profiles (http://www.prisontalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=361)sub-forum). As far as I know, the DOC will send him where they want to (first available bed) and he/you don't have much of a choice. That's how I understand it anyway. Also, a friend of mine had to wait quite a while (months) for a space to open up in a 1/2way house before being transferred. A 1/2way house is better than prison and one more step closer to coming Home!! He will probably see the Parole Board on schedule. Hello and welcome to PTO!

EDIT: The friend of mine that was in the 1/2way house, did not get furloughs (Dismas House), but did make parole when he went to the board 7 months later.

reneebaxte197
08-25-2010, 08:18 PM
Thanks so much for the info. My husband called today and told me he is being moved probably today or tomorrow because I have a visit on Friday to see him. Does anyone know anything about Transitions Halfway House in Covington Ky? This is where he is suppose to go to. I don't know much about it. I checked out their website and didn't get much from that either. I don't know when I will be able to see him or if they use evercom to call. I just need some information. I am sure I will hear as soon as he moves, but trying to get info before hand.

patchouli
08-26-2010, 11:10 AM
When my friend was at Dismas house in Louisville, he could make calls for .25 cents from a pay phone at the facility :D He was allowed to have no more than 75 dollars on him at one time--yes, he was allowed to have a wallet and money!! If I remember correctly, he was not allowed visits at first, but after he got visits, you could take in food! Homecooked or McDonalds or whatever. I'm sure he'll call you as soon as he can after he gets there and can let you know thier specific rules.

reneebaxte197
08-26-2010, 10:02 PM
Thanks so much! He did call today, and he did get moved. I was suppose to go see him tomorrow, but he can't get visits for a week. He says it is great. He can call from a payphone. He's not sure when visits are either. I don't even have the address yet but I'm about to look it up. I know he's farther away but he's in a better place. There is a guy he used to work with that is there which concerned me at first. He says he's really into church and doing really good. I guess God has came through for us. I hope and pray this will help get him parole in a year!