View Full Version : Can A Parolee Live With Me If I Am On Housing Assistance?

vissy53
08-08-2010, 02:37 PM
I am a mother of a son who will be release soon with no where to go. I am on housing. there is no other family. I am so worried that it is affecting my health(heart) This is my first time on a forum, i live in the modesto ca area,can someone please!!! help me.

Madhatter
08-08-2010, 05:28 PM
I am a mother of a son who will be release soon with no where to go. I am on housing. there is no other family. I am so worried that it is affecting my health(heart) This is my first time on a forum, i live in the modesto ca area,can someone please!!! help me.

Hi & welcome to PTO.

From your post I'm not sure if you are saying you can give him lodging? Or are you wanting to know about half way houses, etc.?

He will be sent back to the county he lived in when arrested. If he is a sex offender - the rules about where he can live are pretty strict.

Give us some more info and we will do all we can to help.

sidewalker
08-09-2010, 06:34 AM
welcome to pto. I hope you could provide a bit more info so we can better assist you or at least give you an idea or two.

sorry about the health issues. its hard enough, but add a loved on in prison......ug. Makes things even harder.

2sleepy
08-09-2010, 04:23 PM
If he can't live with you, then he's pretty much on his own. He can ask the parole office about homeless shelters or half-way houses, but there really aren't any resources that provide for long term housing for parolees

noboundries
08-09-2010, 11:23 PM
if he's paroling to Orange County, the Salvation Army Hospitality house shelter men/women/small families for 7 uninterrupted nights. Talk with the housing guy there. They have a work program. If your sons accepted he can stay there for at lease 30 days...(longer depending on his progress).

Too, depending on the county he lives in, he can call 211 and they will give him some information. Tell him to ask about "transitional" housing.

vissy53
08-10-2010, 10:19 AM
Thank you so much for your replies,we live in Modesto ca. He has already given my address to parole(oct)he had no other choice,hoping we could find a halfway house.I live in a house and my landlord would not have any problem with it,does parole look up to see if a parolee is living with someone on housing,always try to do the right thing,do not like looking over my back,have faith in the Lord,but only human to worry about my son's future,when he is already looking at a problem and he is not even home YET.:confused:

msmack1961
08-10-2010, 10:51 AM
Some institutions will assist with housing but resources are limited to be honest. They normally have nothing to offer except halfway houses and homeless shelters. I don't know about in California but I know that here in Florida the parole dept. does not care about whether the person the parolee is living with is on housing or not. They just care that they have a stable place to lay their head. Like I said, that's Florida, not sure about California.

ExCDCRInmate
08-14-2010, 11:12 PM
Greetings. First of all Parole is not going to look into your affairs becuase your son is living there. If you are on Section 8 (HUD) they may care, if they find out. If the landlord has no isues then it should not be a problem.

gabriela10
08-26-2010, 07:38 PM
Hi im new to all of this, my man will be home in about 7 month but he has no family so How can he come home to me, he has no where to go and im the victim in the case.

2sleepy
08-27-2010, 12:57 PM
Thank you so much for your replies,we live in Modesto ca. He has already given my address to parole(oct)he had no other choice,hoping we could find a halfway house.I live in a house and my landlord would not have any problem with it,does parole look up to see if a parolee is living with someone on housing,always try to do the right thing,do not like looking over my back,have faith in the Lord,but only human to worry about my son's future,when he is already looking at a problem and he is not even home YET.:confused:
There is only a few conditions that automatically bar felons from living in section 8 or federally assisted housing, most have to do with manufacturing drugs, or engaging in criminal activity while living in section 8.

The local housing authority can set additional rules though, so I would call them (anonymously if you are worried) and see what they say.

You only have to declare who lives in your house annually, right? So if you are ok with him living there, let him parole there and then list him as an occupant on your next review.

socal729
09-09-2010, 05:14 PM
Any info on transitional housing OR half way housing would be appreciated
My son will live in North San Diego county so I am not sure what is available there
Thanks