View Full Version : Can my man parole to my house if i have section 8?

07-31-2010, 12:34 AM
I live in westchester NY and Im unsure if my hubster will be able to parole to my house being that I have section 8? How does the whole parole thing even work? Im really confused!!! Any advice will be greatly appreciated!!!

07-31-2010, 01:52 AM
I have Section 8, my ex (we weren't married) paroled to my old house in the past & my husband did too - we moved while hubby was on parole. Hubby finished parole but he's now upstate again (for the Last time). So he will be on parole when he comes home. I want to move on November 1st. (I Don't have a place to move to yet.) Just make sure when he comes home to make an appointment to add your man to your section 8. (He will have to sign paperwork.) If he's in prison for any violent charges or anything against children though he probably won't be allowed to be added to your section 8. (Actually there was a period of time my ex lived with me but I Didn't have him down on my section 8 but it's best to follow the regulations. When I called to add my husband though they said he Couldn't live with me until he came in & was added to my Section 8 so be Sure to get an appointment like the Next day after he gets released (That should be a pretty busy day!) & Don't tell Section 8 he stayed at your house the night before.) Good Luck! When's he coming home? You can PM me.

07-31-2010, 09:33 AM
Umm I don't believe sooo.. If they find out u will b terminated..

Momma Ann
07-31-2010, 10:05 AM
basically it is up to the Public Housing Authority. There are guidlines from the feds and some absolute denials-
HUD requires public housing agencies (PHAs) to deny housing to families that include certain types of individuals:
- Individuals who have been evicted from federally assisted housing within the past three years because of
drug related criminal activity;
- Individuals who are subject to a lifetime sex offender registration requirement in any state;
- Individuals who have been convicted of manufacturing or producing methamphetamine on the premises of
federally assisted housing;
- Individuals who are currently engaging in illegal drug use; and
-Individuals who are currently abusing alcohol in a manner that interferes with the health, safety or right to
peaceful enjoyment of other residents.
The PHAs have discretion to make exceptions for persons who have been rehabilitated.

from what I read, there are exceptions made-for example it talks of exceptions for those who have completed a treatment program if there are drug related charges. The big thing seems to be if they committed the crime on property supported by a Section 8 grant.

So, you need to call them and see what their process is. I think you will need to apply and then be ready to file the appeal. If you are in Section 8, they are not supposed to parole him to the address without the paperwork allowing him to live there. From being on PTO, I can tell you that does not always happen-but that is what is supposed to happen.

Either way, I would deal with it upfront-you do not want to be holding your breath. They will do a criminal check on anyone you add to your household.

here is alink to the best information I found-it is from LA-but Section 8 is federal and most of the info is probably good.

07-31-2010, 12:16 PM
Thank you everyone I really appreciate it!!! He will be home hopefully sometime late next year but im not a last minute kind of person so Im trying to make sure he can live me now so if not we can make other arrangements!!! He was arrsted for criminal sale of a controlled substance in binghamton. I LIVE IN WESTCHESTER SO THE CRIME DIDNT TAKE PLACE DOWN HERE AT ALL!!! I dont how that affects things? He also does have to do a drug program as part of his sentence!!! He is in state not federal prison so I dont know what the differences may be but I will check out the link thanx!!!