View Full Version : Questions about inmate uniform colors

imissmybaby14
07-28-2010, 01:47 AM
i just want to asked if any of you know about this:
the other day i was seen on tv a show of inmates and prisons. as they where talking the police from the prison says that the colors of the uniforms that they wear state for some thing like.

blue = non felony
orange = felony
red = fugitive

but the thing i want to know is what does light brown stands for and if this is only for all jails of just for the big ones?
what is the difference between jail and prison?
thank you...............for anwsering

kathykat
07-28-2010, 03:45 AM
Here in Pa all state inmates wear brown, The exception is during classification when they wear blue. It was orange at county

Jillian
07-28-2010, 03:50 AM
here in texas they all wear white

waiiting4him
07-28-2010, 03:52 AM
I'm not sure either here in Kansas in county its orange and even at the federal holding facility it was orange... everyone was wearing orange at both places.... so I am not sure

i swear everytime i see a show on tv about inmates or even prison i record it and watch it... before i would never do that but now i wanna know everything even to the point where I'm a criminal justice and human service major in college lol

thatwiz
07-28-2010, 07:29 AM
here it is green

PhilB
07-28-2010, 08:03 AM
County jails use different colors for inmates and trustees. They also use ID wrist bands often in different colors for the class of crime they are in for.

One Arizona county jail is very big on pink and old fashioned stripes..

Every state prison system has their own standard "uniform" for inmates. Starting in classification they wear one or more colors depending on their stage of processing, often jump suits to keep costs down.

In state prisons the different colors usually signify their custody level. They do not use distinctions for crimes committed.

ben's girl
07-28-2010, 08:08 AM
FL inmates where blue uniforms no matter where they are housed (except for maybe DR). There is one reception center that inmates where white if they are made permanent at that facility. No distinction between custody or charges. Oh, and there is a private facility that wears brown.

The show you were watching was probably portraying what it was like for that state or facility.

TimedOut
07-28-2010, 09:19 AM
I think the show you watched spoke only of a local jail or detention center (pre-sentencing type) and not of a prison, I say that because non-felons do not make it to prison (you cited non-felons wearing a certain color)... the basic difference between jail and prison is that everyone in a prison has been convicted of a serious crime. Individuals can be housed in jails pending trials and therefore are not guilty of anything at the time. A jail holds people for city, county, state and federal crimes... a prison holds people convicted of state and federal crimes only. Also to note is the length of sentencing... no more than one year for a jail sentence. Disclaimer this refers to the US other countries do not have the same distinctions.

SaderGirl
07-28-2010, 10:18 AM
here in texas they all wear white

At State Jails in Texas, TDCJ offenders wear blue and State Jail offenders wear orange.

mama2princesses
07-28-2010, 01:26 PM
at my mans jail orange & white stripes is min security, blue and white stripes are max security and grey and white stripes is medical

agnetta
07-28-2010, 03:39 PM
none of it means anything except "in house"
in one prison, as a visitor you cannot wear lime green, dark green, olive green, camo, blue, denim, red, yellow, white, orange, or grey because those colors are used for inmates and guards... so
another prison it was no green , camo, blue, red, yellow,orange or white,
in another jail it was green white red blue and roange.
its all how the jail/prisons are set up....

i just want to asked if any of you know about this:
the other day i was seen on tv a show of inmates and prisons. as they where talking the police from the prison says that the colors of the uniforms that they wear state for some thing like.

blue = non felony
orange = felony
red = fugitive

but the thing i want to know is what does light brown stands for and if this is only for all jails of just for the big ones?
what is the difference between jail and prison?
thank you...............for anwsering