View Full Version : Armed Robbery

DJ1
03-03-2004, 11:57 AM
Does anyone have a loved one facing armed roberry charges within the GA Prison system? My son is in Dekalb County Jail waiting to be sent to Jackson for diagnostics, he got sentenced last month to 20 years to do 10. I have read that because it is one of the deadly crimes that there is no possibility of him receiving an early parole, he has to do 10 max. He wrote on a note that he had a weapon but in fact he did not, so his Public Pretender didn't fight for him to a lesser charge of robbery by intimidation. Is there anything me and family might be able to do for him once he does get assigned to his Prison home that may help him in doing less time? Please any info would be a great help for us, thanks.

j2sq
03-03-2004, 02:21 PM
i am not in this situation.....but good luck and welcome! :wave:

i am sure that someone will be along for u.....

deb
03-03-2004, 05:30 PM
HI,

I moved your post to the Georgia forum as the folks here will know the answers to your questions.... Welcome to PTO and good luck...

Deb

strongernow
03-03-2004, 06:06 PM
I am not too sure about this type of charge either, but the way most sentences work in GA, it actually sounds like he is lucky to not have to serve more time of the 20 years than he is.

Welcome to PTO :)

Kyla
03-04-2004, 12:34 AM
DJ1
Welcome to PTO. I am glad you are here. My mother in law is a criminal attorney in GA, so I am going to put your message in email to her, and see if she has any answers. When I hear back, I will post back to you.

samiam158
03-04-2004, 05:54 AM
my son served 5 yrs in atlanta USP for armed robbery....but he was arrested in NC...he has done it again...in 3 places...said he had a gun did not...in NC doesn't matter you say you have one you do...in ks...it matters..in sc???still waiting on that one...but still he had 10 years he only served 5 and had 5 yrs probation...now that he has done the 3 more..he has 7 yrs to do straight up...i thought there were guidelines to what they can get???course my son plead guilty and maybe that is why he gets less time??hope kyla finds some answers for you...{{{{HUGS}}}} and welcome :wave:

DJ1
03-04-2004, 01:10 PM
Thank you guys so much for the replies to my message, this site makes everything so much better to deal with knowing that unfortunately there are so many other people in this world who are going through similar situations, we can just be thankful that we have each other and we don't have to go through it alone, it is truly a blessing. I will keep you all in my prayers.

cgold
03-04-2004, 02:25 PM
Armed Robbery is a minimum of 10 years to the wall. Absolutely no chance for parole, good behavior or anything so the 20 do 10 is pretty standard from what I can tell.

elainew23
03-04-2004, 08:46 PM
if your son didnt plead guilty or take a plea bargin then you may be able to do what they call a remo.if i was you i would talk to a lwayer and see what he has to say.good luck

sjc
03-05-2004, 04:21 PM
I have a relative serving 40 years in the State Prison system. He has been in for the past 4 years and I have been told by the Governors office, my Senator and every other public official I could think to contact that there is absolutley nothing anyone can do.
While the law reads no part of the mandatory minimum may be reviewed (The minnimum is 10 years per count) it does not state they can not review a sentence that is the max allowed by law. Even though there is no prior criminal history , my brother was senteneced to the max allowed by law due to "overwhelming Circumstancial evidence"
If you find a way to reduce your sons sentence please inform us here as many of us are trying to do something about these ridiculous sentences.

SJC

Jazzidi
03-05-2004, 05:33 PM
Well, my brother is in Baldwin State Prison for attempted armed robbery, and I hired a well known, famous lawyer who has set precidents in many cases, and I have spent over $10,000.00 on lawyers fees, and I hate to tell you this, but there is absolutely nothing that can be done. Your loved one's only chance for a lesser sentence is at the plea bargin table. It is all in the hands of the negotion skills of you lawyer. I heard that the:ham: Ga Legislation has a bill that may cut the time down to 65%, but I am still trying to research that fact. It has been a rumor for a long time. I wish you the best.
Diane

Does anyone have a loved one facing armed roberry charges within the GA Prison system? My son is in Dekalb County Jail waiting to be sent to Jackson for diagnostics, he got sentenced last month to 20 years to do 10. I have read that because it is one of the deadly crimes that there is no possibility of him receiving an early parole, he has to do 10 max. He wrote on a note that he had a weapon but in fact he did not, so his Public Pretender didn't fight for him to a lesser charge of robbery by intimidation. Is there anything me and family might be able to do for him once he does get assigned to his Prison home that may help him in doing less time? Please any info would be a great help for us, thanks.