View Full Version : Possibility of release date being recalculated?

misstona
07-03-2010, 07:57 PM
Hi, my hubby is serving a concurrent sentence of an assault which falls under the NC Structured Sentencing Act and a DWI which falls under the Fair Sentencing Act. When the Structured Sentence sentence expires (in Oct), he will be parole eligible. Is it possible that he projected release date will change, being that under Fair Sentencing (especially) DWI, DOC has authority to award additional credit (gain time, merit time, good time) for a person serving an active sentence for a DWI only?

I was looking at inmate releases under the DOC search page, and it looks like people serving time for DWI were only serving approx 2-3 months for a year sentence.

dwfighterva
07-04-2010, 04:41 PM
I have no clue about how it works in NC but hopefully someone will come along soon who does. Hang in there!

docemployee
07-05-2010, 01:42 PM
Hi, my hubby is serving a concurrent sentence of an assault which falls under the NC Structured Sentencing Act and a DWI which falls under the Fair Sentencing Act. When the Structured Sentence sentence expires (in Oct), he will be parole eligible. Is it possible that he projected release date will change, being that under Fair Sentencing (especially) DWI, DOC has authority to award additional credit (gain time, merit time, good time) for a person serving an active sentence for a DWI only?

I was looking at inmate releases under the DOC search page, and it looks like people serving time for DWI were only serving approx 2-3 months for a year sentence.

I don't know how much help I can be here, because combined records are the people that do sentences and calculations, but it is possible. I think, the release date he has in Oct. is for his active sentence and it may change. I wouldn't bet the farm on it, but it may. With NC sentencing structures it really is confusing to try to figure out. The best advice I give give is:
Hope for the best, but expect the worst.
That way when the other sentence kicks in, it won't be disappointing if he doesn't come home earlier...but it'll be a GREAT suprise if he does!

Sunflower
07-05-2010, 03:12 PM
They cut my husbands in half and his date dropped all the time!

misstona
07-05-2010, 04:40 PM
Lisa,
Are you saying that after the time was cut in half (when he was first processed) that his expected release date changed many times after that? Was your hubby in programs and working a job inside?? Thanks!!!

Sunflower
07-06-2010, 10:20 AM
Lisa,
Are you saying that after the time was cut in half (when he was first processed) that his expected release date changed many times after that? Was your hubby in programs and working a job inside?? Thanks!!!

Yes once he went to processing they cut his time in half, when he first got to his first prison his release date was end of Oct he got out in Aug, he had a inside job and thats what knocked his days off, then he got some merit days. His lawyer says someone messed up and he shouldnt of gotten out so soon but he did.