View Full Version : Can inmates put in for a transfer to another state?

Miss_A
06-30-2010, 12:09 AM
Just out of curiosity, can imnates transfer to another state? I'm not referring to fed inmates, strictly state.

I'm sure the answer is no, but I thought I would ask anyway.

Miss_A
06-30-2010, 03:16 PM
Anyone, anyone?

ilikbenme
06-30-2010, 03:21 PM
i see a few people lurking around...maybe they are all shrugging too. I've been wondering the same thing.....doing some research....no luck....YET!

OneOfMany
06-30-2010, 03:25 PM
I know my guy was transferred out of state three times throughout his 27 year stint. it's more like a contract or agreement one state has with another one and groups of prisoners are moved. And it was only for a certain period of time.

I don't think an individual prisoner can request a transfer to another state.

Hopefully, someone who's more knowledgeable can give you a better answer.

ilikbenme
06-30-2010, 03:30 PM
i found an answer posted in 2007 here: http://www.prisontalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=302712

look at the last post there. i'll keep looking....

ilikbenme
06-30-2010, 03:32 PM
I know my guy was transferred out of state three times throughout his 27 year stint. it's more like a contract or agreement one state has with another one and groups of prisoners are moved. And it was only for a certain period of time.

I don't think an individual prisoner can request a transfer to another state.

Hopefully, someone who's more knowledgeable can give you a better answer.

was you guy fed? or just the state system? do you by any chance remember how he ended up getting transferred if it wasn't his request? i'll keep looking but thanks for anything you could remember about this....might help with the research to see if it might still be done.

downtownchicago
06-30-2010, 03:41 PM
I see evidence that IDOC does transfer inmates to other states, but I am unable to find any detailed info.

On the IDOC web site, it says:

The Transfer Coordinator's Office (TCO) continues to fulfill its role in initial security and placement designations as well as subsequent placement of all inmates, totaling more than 45,000 adult inmates throughout their incarceration. The office handles all transfers via the interstate corrections compact as well as all requests for awards of meritorious good time and supplemental meritorious good time to inmates. The office also responded to thousands of pieces of correspondence related to inmate location, welfare and other concerns. ...

It looks like Michael J. McCotter is the head of the TCO, you could call his office and ask.

I think all transfers of inmates and parolees would fall under an "interstate compact agreement", you could search on that term. Illinois may only have such agreements with certain states. I'm sure the requirements are very stiff, and for active inmates the transfers might only happen for IDOC reasons, not for personal reasons.

OneOfMany
06-30-2010, 08:53 PM
and for active inmates the transfers might only happen for IDOC reasons, not for personal reasons.

Exactly. That's the point I was trying :rolleyes: to make. thank you.

OneOfMany
06-30-2010, 08:59 PM
was you guy fed? or just the state system? do you by any chance remember how he ended up getting transferred if it wasn't his request? i'll keep looking but thanks for anything you could remember about this....might help with the research to see if it might still be done.

He's state -- Wisconsin.

It was a contract deal WI made with MN -- back in 84(?). Then when the contract (or whatever) was over, all the WI inmates were sent back. Then years later he was sent to TN with another group of inmates to a CCA prison. Two-three years later all inmates returned to WI.

Both of those times; it being a contract of the states, I'm sure a certain criteria had to be met. As far as the MN move and the TN move; if the inmates met that criteria, they could volunteer for the move. Then if the slots weren't filled, I'm sure the rest were chosen involuntarily.

Miss_A
06-30-2010, 09:14 PM
Thank you ladies for helping me.

MJDNRP-6885
07-01-2010, 01:26 PM
Just out of curiosity, can imnates transfer to another state? I'm not referring to fed inmates, strictly state.

I'm sure the answer is no, but I thought I would ask anyway.

You are referring to an Interstate Compact agreement.

The Interstate Commission for Adult Offender Supervision website is:

http://www.interstatecompact.org/

Both states, the one he wants to transfer out of and the one he want's to transfer to, must have an Interstate Compact agreement with each other.

A lot of paperwork needs to be filled out and a lot of time is needed. There is no guarantee that either state will agree on the transfer.

24jf
07-01-2010, 01:33 PM
It is possible (at least in Colorado) but it can get very expensive and complicated... there must be an inmate in the receiving state that is willing to transfer to the sending state to take your loved ones place and you are responsible for all charges involved in the transfer. For information call the Interstate Compact Offender Transfer Office for your state... not to be confused with the Instate Compact Parole Transfers which are normally handled through the parole office.

Miss_A
07-01-2010, 11:33 PM
Thanks ladies and gentlemen for your help and all the info. I have learned something new. :)