View Full Version : nwfrc annex....talk to me...

Casey's mom
06-27-2010, 08:42 AM
My son has been there for almost 2 mths and just got classified as perm in the "nutrition program" or ncnp. He is only 20 and is serving 18 mths. He thought that since he was min security he would serve better time as an adult , but I'm afraid he was wrong. It's like they want to teach him alesson for not serving as a youthful offender. They put him in this progrm where he is housed in 2 man cells with 18 - 20 yr olds....which is fine but, they have to go to the rec yard and mess hall with the general pop. Adult lifers,etc. Which is NOT fine. Can he be moved once he is perm?

ben's girl
06-27-2010, 05:24 PM
As long as he conducts himself as an adult he shouldn't have any problems. The young ones who come in with the attitude they are invencible are the ones who have the problems being in an adult facility. The YO facility, from what has been posted on here, are violent and gang ridden. I would much rach my child be in an adult facility. I'm not sure why you are concerned about lifers or inmates with longer sentences. Those inmates are the ones who are most likely to be adapted to the environment and stay themself. I understand this is not always the case, but is usually the norm.

Your son will not be eligible to transfer until he has been at this facility for 1 year and even once that time comes chances are he'll released before the transfer occurs. Transfers are moving at a snails pace right now. The best thing for him to do is make the most of his time and keep to himself.

wifeofMichael
06-27-2010, 05:36 PM
I tend to agree with ben's girl. The things I have heard about YO camps are horrible. As long as he doesn't act like a punk kid he will be fine. Since he's minimum custody tell him to work on getting that reduced to community. See if you or he can find out if there is any possibility he can get to a work release center. You don't have to be at your perm camp for a year to be transferred to work release.

Casey's mom
06-29-2010, 07:38 AM
As long as he conducts himself as an adult he shouldn't have any problems. The young ones who come in with the attitude they are invencible are the ones who have the problems being in an adult facility. The YO facility, from what has been posted on here, are violent and gang ridden. I would much rach my child be in an adult facility. I'm not sure why you are concerned about lifers or inmates with longer sentences. Those inmates are the ones who are most likely to be adapted to the environment and stay themself. I understand this is not always the case, but is usually the norm.

Your son will not be eligible to transfer until he has been at this facility for 1 year and even once that time comes chances are he'll released before the transfer occurs. Transfers are moving at a snails pace right now. The best thing for him to do is make the most of his time and keep to himself.

He says that he's in a program where there are a LOT of gang members and he is not affiliated so that's probably the issue. There are some issues with some of the longer sentenced prisoners being what is called "war daddy's" and there are problems with the way these kids are recieving their canteen reciepts(in front of everyone) so people get jumped for their money or threatened or whatever the case may be. he was jumped his first night there by 3 inmates. he just didn't expect this being minimum security. He is aquiet guy that keeps to himself by nature so I'm sure that is what he is trying to do. He won't let me talk to anyone for him. He meets with his classification officer today , hopefully he'll figure something out. This "program" is just a type of funding , it's not educational or anything , so it seems as though it wouldn't be mandatory? I dn't know. Guess I have a lot to learn , as does he. Thank you for responding , I will need you guy's to help guide me! I appreciate it.

Casey's mom
06-29-2010, 07:46 AM
I tend to agree with ben's girl. The things I have heard about YO camps are horrible. As long as he doesn't act like a punk kid he will be fine. Since he's minimum custody tell him to work on getting that reduced to community. See if you or he can find out if there is any possibility he can get to a work release center. You don't have to be at your perm camp for a year to be transferred to work release.

The said he would be in this program until 1 month before his 21st birthday , which would be feb of 2011. This "nutrition" program only offers 2 milks a day and those are sometimes expired!!! AND milk makes him sick!!!!! What a joke!! I read in a fl statute that the classifications officers can place prisoners who they think might benefit from "shock" incarceration in harder environments , makes me wonder... Of course, when I spoke with his c.o. , he said they "try not to do that". Yeah right! They tried like hell to get him to go YO , but he'd heard what you both have said and ended up here.:(

ben's girl
06-29-2010, 06:15 PM
We will def be here for you. :soothe: I'm sorry he's experiencing such a rough time.