View Full Version : Inmate killed at USP Pollack 6/24/10

Zelda50
06-26-2010, 04:52 PM
Inmate dies after fight at Pollock prison
Associated Press - June 25, 2010 5:34 AM ET

POLLOCK, La. (AP) - Authorities say a prison fight led to the death of a 42-year-old inmate in the federal prison in Pollock.

The Federal Bureau of Prisons says Steven Prater died Thursday after he was involved in a fight with another inmate in the high-security section of the Federal Correctional Complex in Pollock. The agency says Prater was taken to a hospital and pronounced dead at 3 p.m. Prater was serving a 51-month sentence on a weapons charge.

Link to rest of article:
http://www.klfy.com/Global/story.asp?S=12708185

Zelda50
06-26-2010, 04:58 PM
This incident is interesting because, according to the guard's union website, USP Pollock went on lockdown on June 21st due to an inmate food and work strike - and then there were incidents of "inmate on inmate" violence during the lockdown. So this death apparently occurred while they were on lockdown.

It seems to indicate the institution is still on lockdown, so call before trying to visit.

powerlessme
06-27-2010, 02:55 AM
i need answers Steve prater was my children s father and my first love .we where in contact just 2 days before this incident how can i get more information on all of this beside the basics. i have questions and i wasn't on his emergency contact list but he had being planning to move back to cali when he was released to be with his kids and now someone just took him from all of us..please anyone who might be able to reach out ,please i would really be grateful...he was in polluck prison

Keltria
06-27-2010, 03:30 AM
I am so sorry for your loss :( You and yours are in my thoughts.

Welcome to PTO.

powerlessme
06-27-2010, 03:27 PM
thank you

LamontLover
06-27-2010, 06:02 PM
May God comfort you and your children during this time...we're right here for you. :thumbsup:
Delphine

Zelda50
06-27-2010, 08:31 PM
I am so sorry for what you and his children are going through. Are any of his children adults? Does he have adult relations? An adult relative (whoever would represent his estate) would be the one to try to get information from the Bureau of Prisons or the coroner's office. If needed, an attorney representing the children might be able to get more information also. I think it's tough to get information out of the BOP but you all deserve to be informed. Maybe someone else here would have better suggestions. Again, sorry for your loss.

MENELSGURL
06-27-2010, 08:40 PM
My condolences go out to you and your children . I hope and pray u get all your answers keep your head up and god bless you.

ambeeeezy
06-27-2010, 08:47 PM
My heart goes out to your family. You'll be in my prayers. I have a PP in Pollock and plan on asking if he knows anything else about this. If I find out anything reliable, I'll let you know.

candidtalk
06-28-2010, 12:27 AM
USP Pollock is constantly in lockdown. There is always some kind of disturbance going on. I am sorry for your loss.

aba
06-28-2010, 12:32 AM
My condolences to you and your children. I am very, very sorry for your loss. Godspeed.

powerlessme
07-03-2010, 01:36 AM
My heart goes out to your family. You'll be in my prayers. I have a PP in Pollock and plan on asking if he knows anything else about this. If I find out anything reliable, I'll let you know.

thank you so much all i just want to know how this all happen, what really happened. if i can get somebody from the inside to tell the rumors they hear it probably will be the closet thing i get to the truth. i know he had some issues with anger but im sure everyone does while they r locked up. i just dont understand, because the news report said no other inmates where injured so how was it a fight??? thank you again for any and all info reliable or hear say i just need to know something , good , bad ugly truth i dont care it will just put the puzzle together so i can stop racking my brain to understand .

NaNa7
07-05-2010, 12:22 AM
My prayers are with you and your children. May the Lord send his angels to surround/comfort you and bring you answers.

C_BLUE
07-05-2010, 10:34 PM
thank you so much all i just want to know how this all happen, what really happened. if i can get somebody from the inside to tell the rumors they hear it probably will be the closet thing i get to the truth. i know he had some issues with anger but im sure everyone does while they r locked up. i just dont understand, because the news report said no other inmates where injured so how was it a fight??? thank you again for any and all info reliable or hear say i just need to know something , good , bad ugly truth i dont care it will just put the puzzle together so i can stop racking my brain to understand .

So sorry about your loss
My loved one is in Pollack USP and I had been talking to him off and on between the lockdowns due to the food strike. Sometime a lil over a week ago he was able to call again and told me he couldn't believe they had let them off lockdown completely being that someone had just got murdered that day. Was mentioning that he wanted to leave that prison cuz its too crazy and that he actually got to see the victim (a white man) who seemed to have been recently stabbed and was trying to walk and collapsed on the floor, possibly as he was going down some stairs (I don't quite remember the detail he gave me) not far in distance from where my boy was passing by. Also mentioned that he happened to relate with the victim in a few occasions and was just shocked being that it was the first time he'd seen someone collapse in sight.
Apparently there was a lot of animosity, due to the food strike, between inmates. Guards were trying to get inmates to eat by handing them lunch sacks but that some shot callers were making sure everyone refused them. Some guys were hungry, some didnt know what to do and everyone was trying to ask among each other whether to grab the food or not. Regardless, he said he wasnt sure if all that had anything to do with what had happened.
I know its not much help and hope you find peace and answers.
God bless you

mommalisa
07-08-2010, 05:34 PM
My son was in Polluck a year ago and was transferred to Terre Haute, his roommate attacked him and slit his throat on June 29 2010. Does anyone out there know the story behind this as my son is in very bad shape and no one is answering my phone calls to the prison to speak with his counselor.:(

Zelda50
07-08-2010, 09:05 PM
Mommalist: This happened at Terre Haute or Pollock?

For those wanting information/giving information on incidents in prison. Be aware that these are very serious matters and any specific details might be best shared in a PM rather than on an open forum. For those asking for information, be aware that people are not uncaring; it may be that they, or their loved ones, don't want to get pulled into an investigation and possibly be called upon to testify in a court case. It's a complex issue and fairly tricky. I totally understand your need for information. I cannot imagine the heartache you must suffer. Z.