View Full Version : What Happens to Someone Picked Up for Absconding

LONELYT
06-07-2010, 12:31 AM
Hi my crazy bff was already abscoundin for about 8 months for leaving a program..so he went to memphis tn ad ended up gettinh arrested there. He was in there a week with no calfronia hold but a old from michigan. They held im 8 days and after that the michigan hold turned into a california hold. Now they say california has ten days to come pick him up. My questions are 1.how fast will cali pick him up. 2. Will they actually go and pick them up amd how do they transport him? Amd 3. Howmuch time is he lookin at...thanks!

Shari
06-07-2010, 07:37 AM
I am not sure how long until they go to pick him up but believe me CA will be there in the allotted time to get him. I have known of a few guys that were picked up in other states for abscounding. CA does not let these go. As for how long he will get, from what I am hearing lately it can be anywhere from 6 to 9 months at 1/2 time seems to be what the guys are getting for abscounding.

LONELYT
06-08-2010, 02:43 AM
They have ten days and they gave me a date of 6/14 that they have to come get hi. They ended up dismissin watever they arrested him for its crazy cause they didnt put a old on him f or a hole week. And how would they ship him from memphis tn? Thanks

pixiepowered
06-11-2010, 12:20 PM
Hoping someone can give me inisght. Hubby was applying for permit, and was taken into custody on 3 year old parole vioation warrant.

1.) How long does California have to get him?
2.) Will they even bother? (parole officer has had our home address & phone number in GA this entire time)

I thought Scwarzenegger said a few years ago, they were not going to spend the money picking up vioators in other states.

He just got a speeding ticket 5 weeks ago, and his NCIC came up clean.

Any insight would be greatly valued. Thanks

Shari
06-11-2010, 02:59 PM
As stated above they have 10 days to come and get him and from all I know believe me CA will be there by that day to get him. Even if the PO had all his info on where he is that does not matter. I remember reading of someone else whose husbands PO knew he was living out of state and had all the info but still put out a Parole Hold on him for abscounding and when he was stopped in the other state for something else and they ran his name the hold came up and he was brought back to CA for the violation.

pixiepowered
06-11-2010, 03:52 PM
Just wanted to ensure that it was same 10 days regardless of what state you are in. It's too bad, he was doing so well. He has been clean since he left California 3.5 years ago. He told his PO he could't get clean in CA, and actually proved it to him by staying out of trouble all of this time. He was applying for a permit he needed for a second job. They ran a background check and apparently a warrant showed up.

I certainly hope the board will take into consideration how well he has been doing on his own when they render his violation time.

Shari
06-11-2010, 04:17 PM
I understand what you are saying about not being able to stay clean in CA and also it is real hard to catch a break when it comes to work either. My guy luckly was able to stay clean long enogh to get off parole but left the state within a month. He is still clean (over 4 years now) and has a full time job.

I am sorry to say the board does not usually care what had happen while the guy was abscounding. He will most likely get anywhere between 6 and 9 months at half time, then be on parole again in CA. He can try to get a interstate transfer but that can not be started until after he is released. He will have to stay in CA during the time the paper work is done and until it is approved. Also all that time he was abscounding did not count towards his parole so he will still have his parole to do.

pixiepowered
06-11-2010, 07:05 PM
Unfortunatley, he is not eligible for 1/2 time. He called and has an extradition hearing on Tuesday morning. Now what I have to track down is whether or not he wants to waive extradition or not. Completely clueless as to the Pros & Cons of this process. I am completely out of my element here. Ugh! He was told during booking they had 14 days to come and get him.

You know everyone we know who has gone through revocation for abscounding or other violations have always lucked out. Not him though, he ALWAYS gets something OUTRAGEOUS. Last one was 11 months for failure to follow instructions...that back in 2005. I know they have changed things considerably due to SBX3 18, just hoping it wont' be too ridiculous.

Facing foreclosure alone on top of this...I am waiting for my big meltdown.

Shari
06-11-2010, 09:29 PM
I understand what you are saying. If I remember correctly from something that was told to me when they sign their parole papers they say they will give up their right to waive extraditon. I am not 100% sure of that but for some reason that sticks in my mind. I sure hope things work out for you guys and he gets the least he possibly can.

pixiepowered
06-12-2010, 10:43 AM
Wondering with everything I've been reading about the Prison and budget Chrisis after serving his violation they will put on non supervision parole. If that's the case, then maybe this is good thing.

Shari
06-12-2010, 11:55 AM
Mostly likely no. There is a point system they use to see if someone qualifies for NRP and because he has had violations in the past his points will be to high. Your best bet is to try and get him transfered out of state.

pengowin
06-12-2010, 02:10 PM
According to new law if they are pending a violation the process to see if they qualify is expedited and if qualified they will be converted to NRP. Once he's extradited to California they will then see if he qualifies.

pixiepowered
06-12-2010, 02:16 PM
Thank you that at least gives me hope. :)

Shari
06-12-2010, 02:23 PM
According to new law if they are pending a violation the process to see if they qualify is expedited and if qualified they will be converted to NRP. Once he's extradited to California they will then see if he qualifies.

The only thing about that is when the do the assesment and start adding points they add points for the violation and that usually makes them not qualify. You can never believe anything when it comes to the CDC they find ways around things in every corner.

I have heard of people who have been on parole for a year, never in trouble, no dirty tests, working or going to school, and because they had one violation years before on a different charge all together their points were to high. Or if they had a very minor 115 while they were in their points were to high, if there is any indication of a drug problem even if the charges were not drug related their points are to hard.

pixiepowered
06-14-2010, 04:33 PM
They have ten days and they gave me a date of 6/14 that they have to come get hi. They ended up dismissin watever they arrested him for its crazy cause they didnt put a old on him f or a hole week. And how would they ship him from memphis tn? Thanks

I was hoping we'd have an update from LonelyT, as the 10 days are up today for her friend. :confused:

LONELYT
06-29-2010, 10:22 PM
WELL MY FRIEND WENT TO COURT YESTERDAY IN TN AND THEY DISMISSED THE CASE COMPLETLY. TOMORROW 6/29 WILL MAKE THIRTY DAYS AND CALI STILL HASNT PICKED HIM UP ...WE ARE CONFUSED AND HE GOT THE EXTRADITION PAPERS AND WE ARE CLUESLESS??:confused::confused:

Chyna's Silent
08-27-2010, 09:23 AM
i'm questioning on about how long my boyfriend will get for parole violation he was released in california and cme out to Missouri n stayed he got caught over here but didnt get any new cases are anything im just wondering about maybe how long they will be holding him when they pick him up and if any answer's does anyone know about how long The State of California has before they can pick him up from here...

Shari
08-27-2010, 12:15 PM
CA has I think 10 days to pick him up, and believe me they will pick him up. Once back in CA he will go before the board and find out how long he will have to do for the violation. The most he can get is a year flat, but most likely he will get 6 to 9 months at half time. Read thru this thread it has a lot of good info.

Chyna's Silent
09-21-2010, 10:39 AM
thank you for the information he's no n tracy ca. i dont know any information to this date of whats going on as of how much time he's getting the family's trying to find out. But my concern is he wants to come back here to MO after realease whats the best way for him to be able to,he has a stable place to stay n work what could be the worse of him not being able to come back.

boneswife
10-26-2010, 10:28 PM
my boyfriend had a felony warrent out for him due to not reporting to parole 3 years ago. they finally caught him a few days ago. how much time do you think he will get? he hasn't gotten in any other trouble since absconding from probation.

DaMeS_GiRl88
10-26-2010, 11:00 PM
They gave my babe 4 years with 85 percent

boneswife
10-26-2010, 11:17 PM
whoa! how much probation did he skip out on? did he serve any of the probation? what was his original charge.....omg.....four years is alot! and sorry for my ignorance, but what does 85% mean?

billysbutton
10-27-2010, 12:12 AM
excuse me for butting in but 85% means your gonna do 85% of the sentence. No matter how good you are you will still serve at least 85% of your sentence.

DaMeS_GiRl88
10-27-2010, 12:38 AM
whoa! how much probation did he skip out on? did he serve any of the probation? what was his original charge.....omg.....four years is alot! and sorry for my ignorance, but what does 85% mean?

He violated his probation by carrying a gun he didn't miss any of his probation. 85 percent means how much he will do he's not doing the whole 4 years. Including credits and time served it came out to 2 years 5 months

4EVER4ALWAYS
10-27-2010, 01:37 AM
My Husband also got 4yrs with 85%! They got him for being in a stolen car which wasnt even stolen but since him and his brother and cousins took a deal to get out he got fucked! Well at least he beat his big case (he was facing 25 to life).

Shari
10-27-2010, 08:01 AM
If he was only picked up on the abscounding charges with no new charges (crime) the most he will get is 12 months flat.

My late fiance was picked up after abscounding for almost 5 years and he was given 9 months at 1/2 time so was out in 4.5 months.

The amount of time really depends on the board the day he sees them and what they decide that day. From what I have seen in the past the average for abscounding is between 6 and 9 months at half time.

If he has new charges on top of the abscounding then the time will be longer than what I have explained but if it was just the abscounding he should only do about 9 months at half time.

Lucky1488
10-27-2010, 11:26 PM
Yep she is right my hubby is in for absconding right now he was first offered 6 with half (which he shoulda took... damnit!) And his second offer was 8 with half. He was only runnin for a couple months though if he has been running a long time they willl give him closer to 10 with half. all depends.

DaMeS_GiRl88
10-28-2010, 12:49 AM
My Husband also got 4yrs with 85%! They got him for being in a stolen car which wasnt even stolen but since him and his brother and cousins took a deal to get out he got fucked! Well at least he beat his big case (he was facing 25 to life).

When is his release year

2sleepy
10-28-2010, 07:52 AM
There is a big difference between getting arrested for absconding AND getting a new criminal charge for something else, and just getting arrested for absconding.

Absconding is a violation of parole, it is not a new 'crime' the most you can get is 12 months, but as has been stated, 'guideline' for that violation is 6-9 months with half time or an actual 3-4 1/2 months in custody.

Getting arrested for absconding and having a gun when you are arrested, or being in a stolen car when you are arrested subjects you to a parole violation AND new criminal charges.

Queen Spade
11-01-2010, 07:48 PM
My hubby also got arrested for absconding, even though his PO knew where he was, he did 7 months. They also added the time he was 'missing' onto the end of his parole.

Shari
11-01-2010, 08:07 PM
I have been hearing from a few people also that the time that they are in on a violation is being added onto their parole.

afirsttimer
11-02-2010, 12:14 AM
Yes Shari, everyone knows mine violated. He received 6 months. That 6 months will be tacted onto the end of his parole time. Now he was not violated for being with gang members. He was only violated for being with other parolee's. Originally they had charged him with absonding. They had his paperwork mixed up with another violators. The po who had bet with him told him he would be out in a few weeks with the overcrowding in the county jail. Normally I don't believe they receive more than 6 months for absconding. The max in the state of California is 1 year on a violation unless they choose to revoke his parole.

sscalf
12-12-2010, 10:08 PM
can someone tell me my son was pick up by ca, on 12/9, and seems to disappear, know ones knows where he is at? all i get is one # after other. but no one seems to have him, picked up from north Las vegas,

Shari
12-13-2010, 07:49 AM
Did you check the inmate locator website? Here is the link. His CDC # would be the same one he had before, or you can check by name also.

http://inmatelocator.cdcr.ca.gov/default.aspx

haleangie2318
12-14-2010, 01:54 PM
mine was abscounding too.from CA to KY they said there was no limit on pickup. He was there 2months waiting on them to come get him. I was told 1.5 years on charge

Hi my crazy bff was already abscoundin for about 8 months for leaving a program..so he went to memphis tn ad ended up gettinh arrested there. He was in there a week with no calfronia hold but a old from michigan. They held im 8 days and after that the michigan hold turned into a california hold. Now they say california has ten days to come pick him up. My questions are 1.how fast will cali pick him up. 2. Will they actually go and pick them up amd how do they transport him? Amd 3. Howmuch time is he lookin at...thanks!

Shari
12-14-2010, 02:31 PM
No it is not a new charge, it is just a parole violation, that is unless he has a new case for something else. Right now they are giving guys who are abscounding between 6 and 9 months at half time. That is what I have been hearing from a lot of people even ones who were picked up out of state.

haleangie2318
12-30-2010, 06:49 PM
Mine is in Chino now for obscounding, they came to KY to get him after almost 2 mos in county jail. 1st offer was 1-1/2 he turned it down, next offer was 6 months with half!! Thank Goodness... 14 more days before Im in his arms!!!

Yep she is right my hubby is in for absconding right now he was first offered 6 with half (which he shoulda took... damnit!) And his second offer was 8 with half. He was only runnin for a couple months though if he has been running a long time they willl give him closer to 10 with half. all depends.

Angieeee
01-06-2011, 09:34 AM
So my friend got arrested 2 days ago, he was walking with his friend and police stopped them.
I don't know know why they stopped them, they weren't doing anything, and when they searched them they didn't
Have anything illegal on them! Right now my friend is in county jail. They found out he was violating parole, he was suppos
To report to his P.O everymonth but he didn't call for 2 months. My question is how long time would he do?

Gryphon
01-06-2011, 10:14 AM
So my friend got arrested 2 days ago, he was walking with his friend and police stopped them.
I don't know know why they stopped them, they weren't doing anything, and when they searched them they didn't
Have anything illegal on them! Right now my friend is in county jail. They found out he was violating parole, he was suppos
To report to his P.O everymonth but he didn't call for 2 months. My question is how long time would he do?

Depends. The possiblities range between a few days and up to a year without the chance to earn conduct credits. Much depends on his record, past parole performance, and the kind of crime he was most recently convicted of. It also depends on the reason for the failure to report and any even unprovable suspicions that he was up to no good.

Angieeee
01-06-2011, 11:10 AM
Depends. The possiblities range between a few days and up to a year without the chance to earn conduct credits. Much depends on his record, past parole performance, and the kind of crime he was most recently convicted of. It also depends on the reason for the failure to report and any even unprovable suspicions that he was up to no good.

He was in prison for 2 years for stealing, came out with 3 years of parole.
He was suppost to report to his P.O every month. He was doing pretty good
Staying out of trouble, looking for a job. Etc.
Until the last 2 months he didn't report to her, and 2 days ago he was walking with his friend police stopped them, his friend got out yesterday bc he doesn't have a record he said that they weren't doing anything the only thing is that they were drinking hours before that but they werent drunk! :/
By any chance do you know how can we find out how to contact his parole officer?

ride4life
01-24-2011, 12:07 PM
My man just got out from prison on December 18th and never reported to his P/O. I'm not making excuses for him but due to the mud slides here in california the CHP wouldn't let anyone down the mountain. He called his P/O over and over and never got a returned call from him. When he finally got to go down to see his P/O it was January 7th. His cousin who was taking him was pulled over they took him in for a parole hold. He doesn't have no new charges. I called his P/O everyday since he has been there and he never returned my calls or went to go see him like he was requesting. Now he will see the deputy commissioner for violation of parole and the lawyer said on the table is 6 months with half. Could he get C/O/P or will he have to go back to prison? What are the guidelines for california parolees returning to prison for not reporting? Help me understand please. Thank You

Shari
01-24-2011, 06:10 PM
Unless he has some really good proof about not being able to get to the PO office and can prove he was trying to call and was not getting a answer the chances of him getting COP is not very good. Did he keep a log of the calls, did he actually talk to someone and leave a message or was it all on voicemail. Did he use a cell phone that you can get the bill to show he tried calling. If you have any of this try to get it to him to show the board. If he has no proof he tried to get hold of the PO chances are they will make him serve a violation. 6 months at half time is about the norm for something like this. I do not think they will go any lower. They usually give someone between 6 and 9 months for abscounding. If he accepts what they are offering him he will be home in three months. Sorry this is happening but when you are dealing with parole make sure to keep very good records and do not just leave voicemails, make sure you speak to a human and leave a message and make sure you get the persons name and the time you called and keep a log.

ride4life
01-24-2011, 10:09 PM
Unless he has some really good proof about not being able to get to the PO office and can prove he was trying to call and was not getting a answer the chances of him getting COP is not very good. Did he keep a log of the calls, did he actually talk to someone and leave a message or was it all on voicemail. Did he use a cell phone that you can get the bill to show he tried calling. If you have any of this try to get it to him to show the board. If he has no proof he tried to get hold of the PO chances are they will make him serve a violation. 6 months at half time is about the norm for something like this. I do not think they will go any lower. They usually give someone between 6 and 9 months for abscounding. If he accepts what they are offering him he will be home in three months. Sorry this is happening but when you are dealing with parole make sure to keep very good records and do not just leave voicemails, make sure you speak to a human and leave a message and make sure you get the persons name and the time you called and keep a log.

Thank you for the very good advice.
You are very right. Well the commissioner gave him 8 months with half. So he will be home in 4 months. The so called attorney told my honey that 6 months was on the table. But the commissioner was not wanting to hear what he had to say. The cold part about it was the commissioner stated to my man, he too lives up in the same mountain area and knew no one could get down. He never took that in consideration. What kind of law enforcers are we dealing with? Thanks for the good records tips. I will make sure we do keep records of everything. By the sounds of the commissioner my man got today he don't care what proof you got. He sends them back to prison. I shouldn't be sounding so negative about it all because there are others dealing with a lot more time or not knowing how much time they have to go. 4 months is not that long. I'm still trying to accept him gone again after only having him home for 19 days. Thanks

ride4life
01-25-2011, 12:07 AM
Unfortunatley, he is not eligible for 1/2 time. He called and has an extradition hearing on Tuesday morning. Now what I have to track down is whether or not he wants to waive extradition or not. Completely clueless as to the Pros & Cons of this process. I am completely out of my element here. Ugh! He was told during booking they had 14 days to come and get him.

You know everyone we know who has gone through revocation for abscounding or other violations have always lucked out. Not him though, he ALWAYS gets something OUTRAGEOUS. Last one was 11 months for failure to follow instructions...that back in 2005. I know they have changed things considerably due to SBX3 18, just hoping it wont' be too ridiculous.

Facing foreclosure alone on top of this...I am waiting for my big meltdown.

I do apologize for butting in your chat but you said your in foreclosure. Here's some information that may help you with that. If you have 10 days left before the sale date. You can call your mortgage company and request to be set up in loss mitigation for workout assistance with the loan. Once they set you up. In loss mitigation they should postpone the sale to allow them time to find you an option based on your income situation. You will have to provide your financial monthly expenses and what ever income you have to them but it could get you a loan modification that can cut your payments in half and reduce the interest rate. Its called the making homes affordable government program. Hope this info can help you with saving your home.

mdlw6968
01-25-2011, 06:26 AM
My husband left California to come home. We live in Ohio. He started the out of state transfer and waited 4 weeks before leaving. His PO did not give him permission but it was costing too much to keep him in a hotel. He was arrested on New Years here in Ohio on new charges. Those charges have been dropped. Now he is waiting for extradition back to Cal. He was not given a time frame. Is it still 10 or what and will the time he sat here in county be accounted for time served since the new charges were dropped. Also, what is Cal offering for absconding?

Shari
01-25-2011, 08:53 AM
CA is offering anywhere between 6 and 9 months at half time right now it looks like. I am not sure if the time he sits and waits is counted or not. I am also not sure how long they have to come and pick him up put from everything I have heard and read they will be there before the time limit and get him.

anthonyswife808
02-08-2011, 03:19 PM
my husbands in a similar situation here in hawaii, hes been doing great here in hawaii, but was picked up two weeks ago, and now is waiting to b expedited back to cali. it sux because we have a son together. i hope they let ur man go cuz theyre just wasting their time on people who have changed their lives for the better