View Full Version : Life at Polunsky Unit TX Prison

Texas Blondie
06-03-2010, 09:20 AM
Can anyone fill me in on the daily details for an inmate in Polunsky? Someone I know just got there and I am just wondering what life is like for him. Is it true they have breakfast at 3AM? What are their work schedules like? He's been given field (farming?) duty. Do they eat in their own cell or in a common area? How often are they around other inmates? What's the chances of violence coming his way? I see the info on visitation but what about phone calls?

Any details would be appreciated. Does anyone have any pictures or photos from inside? I think the only ones I've seen are for death row. I'm more interested in the non-death row info.

Thanks.

RedzReyna
06-03-2010, 10:46 AM
Hello welcome to the Polunsky forum. I'm going to try to answer your questions the best I can and hope that someone else will also come by and give their input.

Is it true they have breakfast at 3AM? I believe breakfast is around this time; their hours to eat aren't like hours breakfast, lunch and dinner are pretty early.

What are their work schedules like? Work schedules vary - not to sure about the farming - your probably talking about dealing with the horses and stuff they have out there - there are probably different hours I know when I arrive to visit (7:30a) the inmates are already out there working.

Do they eat in their own cell or in a common area? Depends on what part he is it - I'm assuming he is not on Death Row because you stated he is working & are looking for pictures for the other side of the unit. They have "Chow Hall" which is like a cafeteria where they can go eat - they choose whether they want to eat or not.

How often are they around other inmates? Again it depends on his custody level - if he's in Seg (Closed Custody) they are in their sell 23/7; if he is in Medium I believe they have In & Out every hour which means if he missed in and out @ 7am he can come out of his cell when they call it again at 8am. And pretty much I believe they can stay in the day room all day. I think! :)

What's the chances of violence coming his way? Depends on him.

I see the info on visitation but what about phone calls? The inmates are allowed 240 minutes a month; they can only call numbers that are approved - the name on the telephone bill must also be a name on his visiting list.

Does anyone have any pictures or photos from inside? I personally don't I have visit pictures - it doesn't show the cells or anything its just in the visiting room - some were taken inside and some are outside.

SPANKARIDICUS
06-03-2010, 12:46 PM
my dad has been there for 9 yrs on a life sentence and has not had any violence so far. I only get to visit once or twice a year because it's so far away, but they have always been really nice when i go to visit. if you have any other questions i will try to help.

good luck

Texas Blondie
06-04-2010, 10:25 AM
What I learned about him yesterday was:
He shares a cell with one other man. He's been assigned to "field squad 10" work detail. He hasn't started working yet but he thinks it will be out in the fields.
He says he gets up at 7AM, showers and goes to breakfast. I thought they ate at 3AM? He says he's in a 48-man "tank" in the day where he can watch tv or read newspapers or books. Lights out at 10:30PM.

Does that sound right?

Firebrand
06-04-2010, 12:10 PM
Even though the Polunsky unit is one place you have to consider that it’s really more like 5 places or worlds in one. Your guy is in the best of the 5. If he’s in the dorms then he’s on a lower level of custody than the guys who stay in the 2 man cells. As a general rule if you want to stay in the dorms then you have to behave or they’ll send you back to the 2 man cells where there is less freedom and less privileges. So what are the 5 places?

Death Row
Administrative Segregation
Close Custody/Medium Custody
2 man cells
Dorms

Bigger units like Polunsky have got a reputation for being tough places to do time, but inside the fence he is in the best of places to do his time and if he handles himself accordingly he’ll be o.k.. Prisons here in Texas with men who have a lot of time to do like what you see where he is for the most part are laid back in the part of the facility he’s housed. Everyone wants to go to the dorms. The only way you get assigned to the dorms and stay there is by conducting yourself like a an adult and like someone who wants to get along with others.

The unit was originally named the Terrell unit when it was built back in the 1990s until the guy it was named after said that he didn’t want the name sake any more because of the fact that it is where all male death row inmates are housed as a result of the November 1998 prison break attempt death row inmate Martin Guruel made from Ellis I in Huntsville.

I’m sure it still has it’s share of knuckle heads and ways to get off in a wreck, but he’s in the best place to do time inside of the fence. I’ve never been there, but the guys I’ve done time with say that it is different today in a more mellow sense than it was years ago.

Texas Blondie
06-04-2010, 12:51 PM
Well, he is in a 2-man cell. I guess he just gets to come out during the day to that common area. Now that you mention the different places, I do recall "close custody" being mentioned.

I will say this. This man is not a friend of mine. Don't sugar coat anything for me. I don't want him to necessarily have it good.

mambo
06-04-2010, 05:59 PM
My man described it as being essentially just like the last unit he was on. I mentioned I saw pictures of the death row area (which you can find around) and though he's not on death row, he said it looks pretty much the same across the unit.

I will say this. This man is not a friend of mine. Don't sugar coat anything for me. I don't want him to necessarily have it good.

It's prison... of course it isn't good. It's sad you wish it so. By comparison it sounds just like any other in Texas.

Texas Blondie
06-04-2010, 06:42 PM
Yes, I wish it so....for HIM. Not about anyone here's loved ones. This man murdered my friend. I would be insane to wish him a comfy, cozy life. I'm not wanting him beaten and raped and living in squalor so don't get me wrong. But I'm just fine with things not being too great.