View Full Version : Can a federal inmate be paroled home to his girlfriend

waitin4reggie
05-31-2010, 08:23 PM
My fiance has aproximately 12-16 months left on his sentence he is being told by other inmates that bop wants him to be paroled home with immediate family only, this is the first I have heard of this, i didn't think us not being married yet would be a problem of him coming home to me...can anyone please offer any answers, we could get married before he comes home but I am in illinois and he is in california

dmf
05-31-2010, 08:38 PM
From what I've read on interstate compacts and from what I've been told for state guys (it may be different for the feds, I don't know), they usually can't parole to a girlfriend's house. They have to be married or they have to have immediate family there because they want to know that it's a secure/stable environment for the inmate coming out. Girlfriends can come and go, you know? Getting married while he's in can be expensive and a long process, so you should check into that if you're serious about getting married while he's still doing his time. But the other option is that he could parole home and then you could move depending on your circumstances. Just some things to think about! Is there anyone at the prison that you could contact?

waitin4reggie
06-01-2010, 05:25 AM
I might try and contact his counselor, we are serious about getting married, it just would be expensive for me to fly out there for a weekend...well they should know its stable, I've been writing him 2-3 times a week since he been in, but I will see what I can do because I want him here when he comes home..thanks

only1love
06-01-2010, 08:39 AM
It depends on the case. They prefer family however if you were a couple before incarceration and part of the PSR it is possible. You and the home will need to be expected. You need a pristine record and you need to show that you are willing to comply with all the rules. There is no parole in the federal system. Post incarceration supervision is at the discretion of the case manager and typically runs in concert with federal halfway house.also, he gives the release address. It is typically the address where he last resided. Changing the address can be done but is NOT easy

timswife4ever
06-01-2010, 08:48 AM
As only1love said there is NO parole in the federal system. Usually the last few months are spent in a half way house. Also other inmates wont knkow when he will be relaeased or moved. They canguess but the only one who knows for sure is the BOP. My hubby has told me he hears all kinds of this and that and really it comes down to they do what hey want and when they want so it is all a guessing game.

TimedOut
06-01-2010, 08:49 AM
I do know that it wasn't an issue for me but I lived in the same community as his family at the time of release and the same state of his conviction. I am asking a similar question on a different forum to see if in fact a federal inmate can release to another state then the one of his conviction. I don't have that answer if that is a okay I would assume since it was okay to live with a GF in his old state, living with a GF in another state shouldn't be the problem. Well I am hoping so

waitin4reggie
06-01-2010, 05:07 PM
Thanks for all the info, i shouldn't have said paroled because i know they dont do parole, but I live in a different state from his conviction...if they inspect me or my house in order for him to live here we are fine I dont have a record or any issues that would prevent him from stayin here...i just hope and pray that it works out i would be devastated if he is unable to move in with me after waiting all these years

TimedOut
06-01-2010, 10:02 PM
He should meet with his unit supervisor and submit his release plans with a new address I think about 6 months before release. if he gets it resolved in there it may not pose a problem for you after. It is my understanding that unlike the state system the fed's have much more latitude on changing jurisdictions.

toddslady
06-03-2010, 12:24 PM
You can definitely release to another district than your conviction. Being that it's fed I think a lot of people deal with convictions in a district that is not the same as their residence. My conviction was in Maine. I've never lived there and had only visited my husband's parents once before the many trips up there for court. I'm from Texas and we lived here when we were indicted. My counselor submitted the paperwork to change my release to my mom's since my house was rented at the time. I could have released to my own house if that was not the case, so you don't HAVE to release to anyone. The case remains in the sentencing district but you report and everything else to your release probation dept. When it came time to request early termination of supervision we had to submit to the sentencing district for that and go by their rules.

Zelda50
06-03-2010, 06:44 PM
I do think it matters whether you're married or not in whether you have a good chance of getting the place of release changed.

tolong
06-04-2010, 09:01 AM
My BF's conviction was in Las Vegas and he will be returning to Maryland when he's released. He was told they will do his relocation when he's 9 months till release. They just recently completed that. He thought they may have waited to see if he would be comming home to live with me since I am a girlfriend and not a wife. Like maybe BOP doesn't want to do the relocation at the start of him sentence, then 2 yrs into it we don't work out and they'd have to approve somewhere else latter on. Anyway..we have not heard anything about issues with him comming home here and I am a girlfriend and not his wife. He did live with me before he was arrested and I am mentioned in his PSR. Again, I don't think that really mattered either.

waitin4reggie
06-07-2010, 08:36 PM
Thanks again, I will start counting down, I really appreciate all the responses and support this website brings thank you all again

BJBeagles
07-05-2010, 02:40 PM
I have that question as well. My boyfriend has a brother and they are not close. My boyfriend would like to move in with me when he gets out. He is in for violation of his prior time served, and is in a Federal prison camp in Maryland. His time is 12 months. I have searched trying to find information of the requirements, if there is any. If they are they see so vage.

Thank you for your information

ray1977
09-30-2010, 09:11 AM
Thanks for all the info, i shouldn't have said paroled because i know they dont do parole, but I live in a different state from his conviction...if they inspect me or my house in order for him to live here we are fine I dont have a record or any issues that would prevent him from stayin here...i just hope and pray that it works out i would be devastated if he is unable to move in with me after waiting all these years

i feel you 100%. i often worry that when my man is released he want be able to come live with b/c i live in an apt complex who does not allow felons. i had a a friend who stayed with me and her PO only came by and checked my home. i never even met the lady lol