View Full Version : What makes or made Ferguson Unit TX Prison a "gladiator unit"?

kw118
05-25-2010, 05:37 PM
What happens on a gladiator unit usually and why would you get sent there? I know a guy who was sent there when he was young. He had a harsh crime but I don't know why he was sent there. Also how is the dorms placed and in a place like that,how will you know when you are about to get jumped o stabbed? There has to be some signs!

Kay
05-26-2010, 04:51 PM
Hi kw, mayb4e I can answer a few of your questions. TDCJ is supposed to house like inmates together whenever possible. Similar, crimes, age, build etc. That isn't always possible but from what I've seen they do a pretty good job of it. There are more than 200 prison units in TX so why they send them to certain ones is anybodies guess. My son has done time at Ferguson and several more units. From what he has told me the unit got its name because there seemed to be a lot of young offenders sent there and usually with long sentences. The younger ones sometimes want to fight more than the older guys. From what I have read on here I don't think that Ferguson is as bad now as it was several years ago. My son did his time there and was never involved in any fighting of any kind. I hope this helps you some.

kw118
05-26-2010, 05:12 PM
Thank You for responding to my question about Ferguson. I really appreciate it
atyBee;5420901]Hi kw, mayb4e I can answer a few of your questions. TDCJ is supposed to house like inmates together whenever possible. Similar, crimes, age, build etc. That isn't always possible but from what I've seen they do a pretty good job of it. There are more than 200 prison units in TX so why they send them to certain ones is anybodies guess. My son has done time at Ferguson and several more units. From what he has told me the unit got its name because there seemed to be a lot of young offenders sent there and usually with long sentences. The younger ones sometimes want to fight more than the older guys. From what I have read on here I don't think that Ferguson is as bad now as it was several years ago. My son did his time there and was never involved in any fighting of any kind. I hope this helps you some.[/QUOTE]

lovin_banks
05-27-2010, 07:30 PM
my boyfriend is in ther now..i hate it..that unit is wak! i wish there was a way that we could get him transferred but no luck..ugh!

Firebrand
06-18-2010, 09:11 PM
Most all gladiator farms in the system have one thing in common that is a 4 letter word that starts with a “k” and ends with an “s”. They all have a bunch of kids on them. Ferguson has traditionally been a youngster farm and still is for the most part.

Some people take pride in saying that they’ve been to a gladiator farm or are doing time on one, but the hidden truth is if you’ve ever been to one of the places the common point to found is that there are bunch of brats in their late teens and early 20s running amuck and being rascals. All units have the potential for being gladiator farms if you look at it realistically. They’re all places full of miserable unhappy men, but the biggest difference to be found in a place like Ferguson and a place like Eastham which is on the other side of the Trinity river is the average age of the general population in the unit itself.

Anytime I’ve ever had to do much time around people considerably younger than me it’s always been a situation that called for more patience and tolerance.

Righteous Betty
08-19-2010, 03:02 PM
My brother is only 32. I wouldn't consider him to be young. Is there a reason they would put an older man in the Ferguson Unit?

a_coleman
09-16-2010, 01:18 PM
my husband was also in his early 30's when he was on ferguson. That is still considered young to TDCJ.

jsjackson
01-27-2011, 01:24 AM
My husband spent time there. age 26-28. He also said it was a bunch of wild youngsters that didnt have a clue. Lots of ruckus