View Full Version : mealtimes at polunsky Unit TX Prison

xxtyvmxx
05-23-2010, 09:13 AM
Hi
my new penpal whos in the polunsky unit has written to me and said that he has his breakfast at 3am???? 3 in the morning?? his lunch is at 10.30am and his evening meal at 5pm???
Why on earth would they serve breakfast at 3am??
Can anyone shed some light on this for me please
Anne :)

fien
05-23-2010, 01:13 PM
Hi
my new penpal whos in the polunsky unit has written to me and said that he has his breakfast at 3am???? 3 in the morning?? his lunch is at 10.30am and his evening meal at 5pm???
Why on earth would they serve breakfast at 3am??
Can anyone shed some light on this for me please
Anne :)

Hi Anne,
Why don't you ask you're pp,then you will have something to write about.
I'm also writing with DR and because their days are always the same,this is a subject you can write about.

xxtyvmxx
05-23-2010, 01:31 PM
hi fien,
lol i posted a letter to him this week asking why 3am but as im not the most patient person i thought id ask to see if anyone knows on here lol
*message to self: patience is a virtue* lol
thanks
Anne

Kay
05-26-2010, 04:06 PM
I know several offenders in TDCJ and yes -- they eat breakfast at 3:00 -- 3:30. It is solely for the convenience of the workers at TDC. I can't image doing anything that time of morning except sleeping.

K'sgurl07
07-14-2010, 03:52 AM
Polunsky is a large unit that houses close to 1200 inmates. In order to feed that many, they start morning chow around 3 to 3:30 a.m. Each chow hall has a capacity of 112. There are 4 of which 2 are for general population and 2 are for medium custody. That does not even count the meals in the warming cabinets that have to be made ahead of time and taken to DR and Ad Seg. It takes approximately 2 and a half to three hours to feed that many because they are allowed around 15 minutes to get their food and eat it. They can't feed any more than this because of the size of the chow halls, the periodic fights that break out within the halls and special diet trays made for each inmate that requires them. Lunch starts around 9:30 to 10:00 and ends around noon. Dinner is after count which could be anywhere from 3:30 to as late as 5:00 or 6:00 depending on when count clears. All meals are made from scratch and the serving area, drink stations and kitchen has to be completely cleaned and restocked (including salt and pepper shakers) after each meal or shift and food cooked and on the serving lines, serving utensils checked out to each serving line personnel before the next meal. All areas of the kitchen, washrooms and chow halls have to be inspected for contraband (blocks of cheese, meat, hooch, weapons, etc.) after each meal and each inmate that works in the kitchen has to be strip searched for the same before they can leave and the next shift of workers come in. So no, it is not for the convenience of the tdc workers, it is for the safety of all.

mambo
07-14-2010, 08:05 PM
Polunsky is a large unit that houses close to 1200 inmates. In order to feed that many, they start morning chow around 3 to 3:30 a.m. Each chow hall has a capacity of 112. There are 4 of which 2 are for general population and 2 are for medium custody. That does not even count the meals in the warming cabinets that have to be made ahead of time and taken to DR and Ad Seg. It takes approximately 2 and a half to three hours to feed that many because they are allowed around 15 minutes to get their food and eat it. They can't feed any more than this because of the size of the chow halls, the periodic fights that break out within the halls and special diet trays made for each inmate that requires them. Lunch starts around 9:30 to 10:00 and ends around noon. Dinner is after count which could be anywhere from 3:30 to as late as 5:00 or 6:00 depending on when count clears. All meals are made from scratch and the serving area, drink stations and kitchen has to be completely cleaned and restocked (including salt and pepper shakers) after each meal or shift and food cooked and on the serving lines, serving utensils checked out to each serving line personnel before the next meal. All areas of the kitchen, washrooms and chow halls have to be inspected for contraband (blocks of cheese, meat, hooch, weapons, etc.) after each meal and each inmate that works in the kitchen has to be strip searched for the same before they can leave and the next shift of workers come in. So no, it is not for the convenience of the tdc workers, it is for the safety of all.

But it doesn't matter when they start or finish this whole routine... they could do it 2 hours later and finish 2 hours later - what's the difference?

ShoesHappen
07-14-2010, 10:43 PM
But it doesn't matter when they start or finish this whole routine... they could do it 2 hours later and finish 2 hours later - what's the difference?
But that wouldn't coincide with the shifts the COs are working ...
Oh wait, that means it would inconvenience TDCJ :p

mambo
07-14-2010, 11:02 PM
But that wouldn't coincide with the shifts the COs are working ...
Oh wait, that means it would inconvenience TDCJ :p

Yeah, that's what I'm thinking lol.