View Full Version : Cleaning and maintaining glass shower doors.

NoOne1994
05-15-2010, 09:16 AM
What's the best soap scum remover? Even home made recipes would be swell.

I've tried numerous after shower sprays but none keep soap scum off. Someone told me to use armorall spray or turtle wax to reflect the water. I was thinking that once I remove the soap scum I would even try Rain X on the inside of the doors to reflect the water and soap.

Ideas?

Tuesday123
05-15-2010, 09:36 AM
Mix a 4tbs of dish soap, half a cup of rubbing alcohol to about a half quart or more of water, and clean your shower doors with a fine steel wool pad (it wont scratch it)
Once you get it as clean as you possibly can, (may take some elbow grease) Be sure to buy a can of gel gloss. (its made for boats hence why it is great for shower doors) click on the link to see how will will clean many parts of your home http://www.gel-gloss.com/ apply as directed. The gel gloss will have to become part of your cleaning regimine to battle water stains.

Good luck, and I hope it helps.

ETA dont use it on floor surfaces, can cause danger slipping on porcelen bathtubs

What's the best soap scum remover? Even home made recipes would be swell.

I've tried numerous after shower sprays but none keep soap scum off. Someone told me to use armorall spray or turtle wax to reflect the water. I was thinking that once I remove the soap scum I would even try Rain X on the inside of the doors to reflect the water and soap.

Ideas?

multifarious
05-15-2010, 11:08 AM
I use a paste made out of baking soda and water for just about everything in my house. It's amazing.

Temeron0926
06-04-2010, 03:52 AM
Rain X is a good idea! I would make sure I didn't get any on the tub floor as it might tend to be slick. I use Rain X on my car windows faithfully................have for many, many years.

Another couple of ideas..................Mr Clean Magic eraser, or Kaboom bathroom cleaner.

nimuay
06-04-2010, 04:47 AM
Liquid fabric softener works well. And, as mentioned above, 0000 steel wool works well on ALL glass - even use it on my car windows as well as all my house glass.

NoOne1994
06-04-2010, 08:38 PM
Liquid fabric softener works well. And, as mentioned above, 0000 steel wool works well on ALL glass - even use it on my car windows as well as all my house glass.

Just water with the 0000 steel wool?

Fabric softener? Really?

I wasted a couple bucks on Tilex soap scum remover and now I am willing to take a Q-tip to the doors if need be.

nimuay
06-04-2010, 08:54 PM
Actually, you don't need the water - the 0000 steel wool will do almost all the cleaning you need without a liquid.

NoOne1994
06-13-2010, 08:54 PM
Actually, you don't need the water - the 0000 steel wool will do almost all the cleaning you need without a liquid.

It didn't work with bleach. I'll try it solo next time.

Steel wool that is.

sidewalker
09-12-2010, 10:25 AM
another thing that Ive heard help to keep the water spots off, is use a squeege. (sp)
its sort of a pain to do after you shower, but it helps too.
gel gloss does work well.
however Im too far gone for that. Lime away does a eh job.
I was just thinking of taking triple 000 steel wool to mine too.
will let you know if it works on water spots (we have really hard water here.......near impossible to remove it)

crazy2010
10-03-2010, 08:40 PM
I hope some one can come up with a really good one for the hard water spots I have found it almost imposible to keep mine clean looking even when they are clean!!!

MrsIzzo
10-03-2010, 09:11 PM
I have always used vinegar and water on mine, followed by Clorox wipes, with no problem -MrsIzzo-

amazggrace
01-26-2012, 04:41 PM
another thing that Ive heard help to keep the water spots off, is use a squeege. (sp)
its sort of a pain to do after you shower, but it helps too.
gel gloss does work well.
however Im too far gone for that. Lime away does a eh job.
I was just thinking of taking triple 000 steel wool to mine too.
will let you know if it works on water spots (we have really hard water here.......near impossible to remove it)
Did the steel wool work, and what about on the metal on the doors and around the frame?

AllAboutHim
01-26-2012, 05:39 PM
Personally I got tired of dealing with it, took the shower doors off, put a rod and a pretty shower curtain up and 3 years later, I am still glad those POS shower doors are gone. :D

Fancy
01-27-2012, 09:31 PM
Use Lime Away...careful do not get on the metal.

Then to maintain on some doors that were never made 100% clear, smear a light coat of an oil over the doors ....any oil, lemon oil, baby oil....just a thin coat.

If the doors were manufactured 100% clear like a window then no oil.

Or, like the other lady said, take them down and get yourself a pretty curtain!

KaRaeBlue
01-27-2012, 09:36 PM
I put turtle wax on mine after a good cleaning. Lasts about 6 months then scrub well and reapply. I have really hard water too and it works like a charm.

mooshy
02-05-2012, 11:49 AM
I put turtle wax on mine after a good cleaning. Lasts about 6 months then scrub well and reapply. I have really hard water too and it works like a charm.

I am so trying this :thumbsup:

Xiu Xiu
02-22-2012, 12:41 AM
Equal amounts of Dawn dish soap ( must be the blue one) with cider vinegar. Put in a spray bottle. Spray away and walk away. With the foam of the spray it will breakdown the soap scum and all you do is wipe or rinse with water afterwards.

GingerM
03-21-2012, 06:56 AM
Just a note: some hard water will etch glass. So if the "stains" have been up there a long time, it may not be stains anymore, it may be etched glass. If it's etching, no amount of stainless steel/Magic Erasers/chemicals will make it go away.

I, too, took the doors down, put up a curtain and called it good. At least with the curtain, if it gets too horrible, I can always replace it.