View Full Version : what exactly does probation suspension mean?

abby182000
05-12-2010, 07:24 AM
my children's father was incarcerated almost 5 years ago for felony dwi. He did a 120 day shock treatment and was released with 5 years probation. His probation was set to end july of 2010. He has had 2 violations and multiple citations. His last violation occurred in April of this year, A warrant was issued and he was picked up. He sat in jail unable to bond out (refusal of bond), unable to see his children until court a few days ago. They were asking for a revocation/supplemental action from the judge. He had a public defender and admitted all violations of probation. I read now that he has been released on an OR bond and final disposition/sentence hearing scheduled in September. It also says his probation is suspended as of this date.

What exactly does it mean when his probation is suspended. Is this a good thing or a bad thing? What is the possibility of him staying out vs going back? I'm new to the whole violation/suspension and stuff.

Thanks!!!!

also to let you know this took place in Missouri.....

Igor Louis
05-14-2010, 07:21 PM
It sounds like the current status on his Probation is being held off until he explains his actions to the Judge. By being released though, he should probably check with the supervising Officer about his need to report or if he's got any kind of report schedule, perhaps to a jail house arrest.
Possibility of staying versus going to prison though....that's going to be tougher to guesstimate and will, ultimately, be up to the Judge to decide. If he admitted them all though, I'm wondering why they're waiting 4 months for a final disposition...maybe he should speak to his public defender...maybe he's expected to get into counseling or something else to indicate to the Judge that he can turn his life around.

abby182000
05-14-2010, 10:40 PM
It sounds like the current status on his Probation is being held off until he explains his actions to the Judge. By being released though, he should probably check with the supervising Officer about his need to report or if he's got any kind of report schedule, perhaps to a jail house arrest.
Possibility of staying versus going to prison though....that's going to be tougher to guesstimate and will, ultimately, be up to the Judge to decide. If he admitted them all though, I'm wondering why they're waiting 4 months for a final disposition...maybe he should speak to his public defender...maybe he's expected to get into counseling or something else to indicate to the Judge that he can turn his life around.

Thank you so much for some insight. Something must be going on because his kids have always been something he looks forward to and I have yet to get a phone call from him. His new girlfriend WAS using his work phone to call and harass me acting like she was him, soooo I called the company and had them shut that phone line off. He also shows a case where his landlord is trying to evict him however theres no one at the old address now. Usually he calls at least 3 times a week to talk to the kids; however even 5 days after he is released he hasn't even made an attempt to contact them. It seems as though he has fallen off the face of the earth. I'm not surprised that it takes this county 4 months for a final disposition. It took them over a year to sentence him the first time around. The only thing he had to do in that year was go to the police station every morning to provide a b.a.c. level. I'm still waiting to find out what happened. I honestly hope it was that the state finally did something about him living with and having a relationship with another felon. His crazy girlfriend texted me telling me the reason he couldn't take the kids (before I knew he was in jail) was because they had just gotten married and needed time alone together. Since when does Missouri let felons marry felons?????