View Full Version : Do parole officers need info on roommates?

ichliebedich
04-30-2010, 05:30 PM
Hi there :)

So my boyfriend just got out and he's staying with my two roommates and me (tho me and him have our own room and my roommates have their separate rooms). My roommate was concerned that if the parole officer comes over that he's going to search her things, have her name recorded in the system and the fact that she had a parolee living with her would be able to be traced back to her. We didn't think that they'd have any reason to have her name/record her info but we weren't sure. Does anyone know if this is the case? Thank you in advance!! :D

trvlngrl
04-30-2010, 07:10 PM

So my boyfriend just got out and he's staying with my two roommates and me (tho me and him have our own room and my roommates have their separate rooms). My roommate was concerned that if the parole officer comes over that he's going to search her things, have her name recorded in the system and the fact that she had a parolee living with her would be able to be traced back to her. We didn't think that they'd have any reason to have her name/record her info but we weren't sure. Does anyone know if this is the case? Thank you in advance!! :D

If the roommate's door is not locked, the in theory the inmate/parole has access...so the roommate could put a door handle on that can be locked with a key. And then change the door handle with the roommate moves.

abob1717
04-30-2010, 07:59 PM

In my experience, the PO are only concerned with the areas you have direct control over and the shared common areas.

Three scenarios that I have experienced...

1. PO comes in and everything seems fine. He would do a simple check of some of the dresser drawers and closet. Then he would look in the fridge (if there is an alcohol restriction) and some of the kitchen cabinets. This happened 99% of the time.

2. PO comes in and finds items that belong to the parolee in plain site in another bedroom (seen through an open door) and then checks that room too.

3. PO arrives and the place is in chaos. PO searches as much of the entire residence as possible.

As said above, a locked door will usually keep the PO out and unless they can prove you have access, they'll probably need a warrant.

Do your best to keep your residence as clean as possible. The PO is not just looking for violations, but also stability. A trashed residence can indicate parties, drug use, etc.

The majority of my visits were less than 5 minutes from the time the PO knocked until he drove off.

As for your friends concern that her name will be traced back through the system...very unlikely unless something was found during a search which would get her charged anyway.

Tell your boyfriend to keep his nose clean, follow the rules of parole, show up for appointments and he'll probably have nothing to worry about.

Ted's mom
04-30-2010, 11:57 PM
My son lived here for 3 years on parole. They came every single month. They never went into any other bedrooms and only stood in the living room or Kitchen. They never once looked at anything outside of his room, even when they were picking him up and taking him to jail for having a dirty test :(. They did ask who else lived here but never asked anyone else anything about anything. Our home is very neat and tidy and they left us all alone.