View Full Version : What is jail credit?

tylee143
02-21-2004, 04:00 PM
I am just wondering what 'jail credit' is---also what does CCC stand for? I am just trying to figure my fiance's time and I can not do it for some reason. I don't understand all these terms. Thanks

NatureJunkee
02-21-2004, 04:33 PM
I'll give this a try. I found this on the internet about CCC--Community Corrections Centers: Community Corrections Centers are community based, intensive supervision sites, which deliver bundled sanctions and services, including treatment and education, to high risk offenders via Intermediate Sanction Levels.

I believe that jail credit is the credit that they get for having served time in a County or State jail before sentencing and before going to prison.

greyghost
02-23-2004, 09:28 AM
Jail credit is anytime spent in 'Official Detention' from the date of the federal offense until the date the sentence begins. In some cases, jail credit may refer to both state and federal jail time.

CCC: Community Corrections Center

CT's Pub
02-24-2004, 03:03 PM
If a person is federally heald in a county jail will they get any good conduct time? My husband has been in county jail for almost a year now, by the time he is sentenced it will be over a year. He was also on pre-trial release (house arrest) for 10 months before he was put in county jail. Yes he was in violation with pre-trial,that's why he went to county. He in now a trustee in the county jail. I had heard that if a federal inmate was a trustee in county they would get their GCT?
Thanks
Cyndy

ExBOPer
02-24-2004, 07:41 PM
Any jail credit that goes toward an eventual federal sentence is taken into consideration when calculating GCT (Good Conduct Time) - 54 days per year (sort of, but that's another story).

greyghost
02-24-2004, 09:36 PM
As ExBOPer stated, all federal inmates will earn good conduct time for any jail credit time that is applied toward the federal sentence.

On a side note, he will not get credit for the time that he has spent in a halfway house as jail credit, or any other credit, toward his subsequent federal sentence. Of course, this means that he will not get good conduct time credit for the halfway house time as well.

Greyghost

hkieffer
02-25-2004, 02:07 PM
One clarification: GCT will be earned for time spent in a CCC as part of a federal sentence (as in the last 10%).

The only other ways that CCC time would count as jail or sentence credit (and earn GCT) would be if one was designated to serve their sentence (or a part of that sentence) in a CCC (something that has drastically been curtailed of late); or if the person was ordered detained and the US Marshals put him/her in a CCC as a result.

I should point out that there is a significant difference between detention and release - most people know that. But, if one is release - no matter what the conditions (like live in a CCC) - that release does not earn eithers entence of GCT credits. Only detention will earn either.

CT's Pub
02-25-2004, 03:56 PM
So what everyone is saying is that my husband will get 54 days GCT when his year is up even if his year was at a detention center (in federal holding)?

hkieffer
02-25-2004, 08:00 PM
He won't actually get the credit until after he is sentenced and has served at least a year. Even then, it is not vested and is subject to forfeiture. GCT that has not yet been earned is subject to withholding.

tylee143
02-26-2004, 05:02 PM
May I ask... how does this pertain to my situation. If he went to a detention center on January the 9th 2001 and stayed there well over a year until he was actually given a sentence---how does that time figure into his release date? He said that he can only get a year of jail credit even though he was in the detention center longer than 365 days before actually going to a Federal Prison. On the BOP website his Projected Release Date is May the 18th 2005. Any info. would be greatly appreciated! THANKS!!!

greyghost
02-27-2004, 09:48 AM
Without knowing the specifics I am only speculating here:

If he was detained based on federal charges, then he should get credit for the time that he has spent in the detention center. It does not matter what the federal judge states.

Tell me this:

Date of federal offense:
Date arrested:
How long has he been detained:
When was he sentenced:
How long is his sentence:

With the above info, I can give you a better idea of how it should be.

tylee143
02-27-2004, 11:49 AM
He was convicted on conspiracy and was arrested on January the 9th 2001-he has been incarcerated ever since. He remained in a detention center until the middle of 2002 then he was transported to a Fed. Prison camp. His sentence is 60 months w/ a projected release date of May 18, 2005. He states he is only eligible for 365 days "jail credit" even though he was in a detention center longer than 365. With the jail credit in consideration what is your idea on when he will be home. Assuming he earns all is GCT. Thanks