View Full Version : Avoiding rape in county

VA48
04-13-2010, 12:08 AM
Apparently the Commonwealth of Virginia doesn't like marijuana, because I've been sentenced to three months for "possession of up to half an ounce." I guess I got lucky. The arresting officer wanted me to do a year and get felony charges.

Anyway, I'm 5'6" 1/2, white, weigh about 135 pounds (mostly muscle), and am 18. From everything I've read and heard, this puts me right in the target demographic for getting raped ASAP. What can I do to prevent it? A friend of mine told me I should make friends in jail. How do I do that? If it makes any difference, I can pass for much older than I am (people are shocked when they learn my age, and sometimes think I'm the husband of my 59 year old aunt).

I'm also going to be in a county detention center in a comparatively liberal county.

Jembry13
04-13-2010, 02:56 AM
Well county jails aren't known for that. But of course there are some. Your best bet is to make some friends. Don't appear to everyone that your a weak person. Stand up for yourself. Respect people, don't be a smart ass.

robby340
04-13-2010, 08:29 AM
Consensual sex is about 100x more likely than rape. It really should not be something to worry about, but it is natural to worry about the unknown. As far as making friends...umm I would not go that far but there are definitely people you should and should not associate with.

Simple rules for county.
1. Do not start fights. Notice I did not say *not* to fight. It is unlikely you will be challenged in county, but if you are don't automatically back down, but don't throw the first punch.
2. Do not borrow items or accept *gifts*. The tax is usually 100%.
3. Do not gamble. It is stupid to get into debt with your family members money. And it could end up getting you hurt.
4. Avoid drugs. Read the two above answers for reasons.
5. Be respectful towards staff, this can go a long way if you find yourself in a jam. Do not be the CO's friend, but don't crap on them.

DG5starrchicc
04-13-2010, 02:40 PM
hmmm... yeah i would take robby340's advice. i think goin around trying to make friends might come across the wrong way and don't be scared to fight when necessary. good luck

richard8
04-13-2010, 03:01 PM
Most people who are sentenced to county are in the same boat as you, looking at short sentences. Most aren't going to risk catching a rape charge, which carries a serious penalty in or out of prison/jail. Some county jails tend to group non-violent offenders (3rd DUIs, drug possession, petty burglaries etc.) together. If you have a record of good behavior, you can make trustee.

Like the others said, don't get involved in gambling or drugs or gangs. Remember if you are quiet and mind your own business most people aren't going to have a reason to mess with you. If someone does mess with you in any way, do not back down.

rocheey
04-13-2010, 06:44 PM
I've been sentenced to three months for "possession of up to half an ounce."

Anyway, I'm 5'6" 1/2, white, weigh about 135 pounds (mostly muscle), and am 18.

Most 'rape's happen in prison, and most of them are actually consensual. if you've got only 3 months, you're going to be put in with guys who are also on their way out the door. About the most you'll have to worry about is someone running with scissors.

Tiny xo
04-13-2010, 06:51 PM
your build sounds very similar to my boyfriend's. he's 5'6, he went in at 130 even tho he gained like 15-20 pounds since he went in. you'll be FINE. definitely do not try to make friends. but don't go looking for fights either. basically if you stick to yourself & don't do things that could get you in trouble (drugs, gambling, like robby said) you'll be okay. chances are you could be on a block with people all with drug charges.

Neverturned
04-16-2010, 01:19 PM
I've got this concern myself, but you can see from my picture that while I'm no wimp, I'm not the toughest guy on the block.

Wondering if I will be tested as well.

BnThereDonThat
05-16-2010, 11:58 AM
Consensual sex is about 100x more likely than rape. It really should not be something to worry about, but it is natural to worry about the unknown. As far as making friends...umm I would not go that far but there are definitely people you should and should not associate with.

Simple rules for county.
1. Do not start fights. Notice I did not say *not* to fight. It is unlikely you will be challenged in county, but if you are don't automatically back down, but don't throw the first punch.
2. Do not borrow items or accept *gifts*. The tax is usually 100%.
3. Do not gamble. It is stupid to get into debt with your family members money. And it could end up getting you hurt.
4. Avoid drugs. Read the two above answers for reasons.
5. Be respectful towards staff, this can go a long way if you find yourself in a jam. Do not be the CO's friend, but don't crap on them.

Id like to add a number 6. Say little and listen as much as possible. Be wary of anyone that approaches you seeming overly eager to talk... then proceeds to ask too many questions or seems to want to keep you talking. It's a method of trying to see where you're at mentally. If they find weakness you can be sure theyll pounce. Be social, but dont play into peoples games. I was 18 and about the same size and got through 2 years in cook county without too much nonsense. Rape isnt the problem tv will tell you it is. extortion is what youi should be wary of. follow those steps and youll be just fine.

multifarious
05-16-2010, 04:31 PM
First and foremost, stop listening to hearsay about prison and county jail from people who haven't been to exposed to it (IMO, judging from the advice to 'make friends in jail.') and stop reading/watching movies/books on the subject. These are for entertainment and not to be used as fact for what you should expect to see in there. County jails are not known for rape, much less "gay-for-the-stay," so you really don't have to worry about that. (Especially not on a 3-month sentence.) As far as everyone else's advice, they are right on target and I'd follow that advice if I were in your situation.

Apparently the Commonwealth of Virginia doesn't like marijuana, because I've been sentenced to three months for "possession of up to half an ounce." I guess I got lucky. The arresting officer wanted me to do a year and get felony charges.

Anyway, I'm 5'6" 1/2, white, weigh about 135 pounds (mostly muscle), and am 18. From everything I've read and heard, this puts me right in the target demographic for getting raped ASAP. What can I do to prevent it? A friend of mine told me I should make friends in jail. How do I do that? If it makes any difference, I can pass for much older than I am (people are shocked when they learn my age, and sometimes think I'm the husband of my 59 year old aunt).

I'm also going to be in a county detention center in a comparatively liberal county.

mrs.bug
06-01-2010, 06:08 AM
I'm still stuck on 3 months time for a half ounce. Are you serious?

Hoosier in GA
06-01-2010, 09:06 PM
From everything I've read and heard, this puts me right in the target demographic for getting raped ASAP. What can I do to prevent it? A friend of mine told me I should make friends in jail. How do I do that?

Prison rapes happens in every movie and every paperback book, and on late night comedy shows, but it's not common in real prisons. If it is a problem, you can ask for a cell in isolation.

There will be some guys very similar to yourself in the jail, and they're looking for friends too. There will also be some jerks. You'll soon learn who's who.

Be prepared to "go along and get along"

MikesBabydoll09
06-02-2010, 08:10 AM
My guy has been in county for just over a year. He's about 5'9" 130lbs, very little muscle (bean poll I swear), and he hasn't had a problem. There has been no problems in county where he's at. So honestly, I dont see you having a problem at all.

Daddy_Fat_SaX
06-03-2010, 02:27 AM
im worried about this shit too,im lookin at 9 months in doc...im non violent but i hate fighting,i guess thats going to have to change

Jkrill
02-02-2011, 09:50 AM
Its prob not even gonna come up in county if it does their prob just messing with you so dont act scared. If you get into a fight it aint the end of the world. So keep your mouth shut and your ears open believe half of what you see and none of what you hear.

springhillLifer
03-01-2011, 03:05 PM
SO in whatever bucket you wind up in, you have some choices. You can do your time in solitary. It's easy to get there and stay there. On your way in, they're going to strip search you. They're going to want you to bend over and inspect your ass. Say no. They're serious, so you have to mean it. People carry drugs, money, weapons, etc. in anal cavity.

If you opt not to go that way, then bring a pen or pencil with you, some paper, envelopes. (legal materials are always permitted) The main reason is the pen or pencil. It's a very serious weapon. in the eye, ear, neck, etc. I did time with all kinds of violent and crazy people. I guess my advantage was that I was willing to kill them with my bare hands or whatever was available.

If you have to live in common with aggressive people, then always be ready. Sleep with your footwear on. Pants on. pen in hand. A couple of bars of soap in a nylon sock can deliver a nasty knocking around. Do some push ups etc in the morning to get blood flowing.

In the shower, and other times, keep your back to the wall, don't get soap in your eyes, don't be unnecessarily undressed, or bare-ass around the wolves. You will learn who they are. Don't accept gifts, drugs, etc.

Cultivate respect. When you discern that some guy is sniffing around looking for sex, tell him clearly you're not like that. don't argue, debate, etc. Tell them to F/O.

joetnymedic
03-01-2011, 08:26 PM
my god, i just can not believe that last post. kid just keep to yourself dont borrow or gamble and you'll be ok. geez