View Full Version : Self-surrender and alternatives

Learningthruask
02-20-2004, 01:43 PM
There are a lot of postings referring to self-surrender; presumably where a convicted person travels to the prison and reports to serve their sentence. How usual is this, and what are the alternatives to self-surrender?

For example, if a person had been sentenced to a prison several hours journey away, wouldn?t it make just as much sense to be transported by official vehicles?

roninsprings
02-20-2004, 02:29 PM
There are a lot of postings referring to self-surrender; presumably where a convicted person travels to the prison and reports to serve their sentence. How usual is this, and what are the alternatives to self-surrender?

For example, if a person had been sentenced to a prison several hours journey away, wouldn?t it make just as much sense to be transported by official vehicles?
Speaking from personal knowledge. If they feel they can trust you to be out on bond for the trials then I guess they can trust you to surrender. It makes it easier for everyone.

I was sentenced about 18 hours away. A good friend will drive me next week. Either that or the Greyhound.

The month between sentencing and surrender gave me time to say some goodbyes and do some maintanence around the house for my wife so she wouldn't have to worry about some of those little things. She's got enough on her plate.

David
02-20-2004, 02:35 PM
The difference in self-surrendering or having "offical vehicles" transport you will be weeks to months in a federal detention center or contract county jail or time on the streets to wrap up your business. I would highly suggest that if you are able to self-surrender, to do it that way, even if you have to take a bus to the prison you are ordered to surrender at.

My experience is with the feds. It depends on your charge, amount of time, and if you were able to bond out. I self-surrendered to a medium security prison. I was told by the guards there that they didn't see a lot of people doing this.. I actually didn't expect to get designated to a medium but due to my criminal history points, that is where I was sent.

I know they do not have self-surrenders in the state of Texas. I'm not sure about other states however.

greyghost
02-20-2004, 02:36 PM
It makes no difference how far away you may live from the prison in which you will/would be surrendering to.

The only alternative to self-surrender it govt transportation (USM or the BOP). For some advice - if you are given the opportunity to surrender, take it. TAKE IT! You'd be crazy to let the USM transfer you. For one, it can take awhile, you may get stuck in a crappy, messy, dangerous jail for a day, to two, or longer. Surrender it's the best thing going.

As for how common is it? Very.

Good luck

Greyghost