View Full Version : New mail rules-no colored envelopes - Polunsky Unit - TX Prison

Halo666
04-10-2010, 01:51 AM
I posted it in the TDCJ mail issue forum already.
By now no colored envelopes are allowed to send anymore to PU.
It's from a reliable source.I don't know when exactly the new rule is completely official.I think some go through still right now.Just want to inform everybody.So no surprises.

ShoesHappen
04-10-2010, 04:42 PM
They can receive mail in colored envelopes but can not have colored stationary sent to them for their use. That's been in effect since 2007 ...

BLoved
04-11-2010, 12:20 AM
They can receive mail in colored envelopes but can not have colored stationary sent to them for their use. That's been in effect since 2007 ...
No this is a new rule, I heard it too they put a notice up. They can no longer receive cards etc in coloured envelopes......

Halo666
04-11-2010, 12:50 AM
No this is a new rule, I heard it too they put a notice up. They can no longer receive cards etc in coloured envelopes......

Exactly,:D
I was aware of the old rule.I sent a few days ago something in a colored one.I hope it arrives and won't get denied already.

ShoesHappen
04-11-2010, 08:50 AM
Where is that notice? I never saw it nor heard of it. The TDCJ website doesn't have anything posted, neither does Polunsky Unit.
The only rule regarding colored stationary pertains to mail inmates in TDCJ are sending out, not to the mail the inmates are receiving, and that's the one from 2007.

ShoesHappen
04-11-2010, 10:25 AM
Considering the thread you posted under "Mail Issues (http://www.prisontalk.com/forums/showthread.php?p=5332438#post5332438)" we can safely assume that this is another rumor or a misunderstanding.
If you have any questions regarding policy at Polunsky Unit (http://www.tdcj.state.tx.us/stat/unitdirectory/tl.htm) you can call the mail room and ask the specifics and if you want to share any policy changes or new information, please post the info you got from TDCJ here.
Unfortunately there are so many rumors all the time, it is hard to believe anything that someone heard from a friend.

Onaicult
04-11-2010, 10:39 AM
I would request that we get concrete information before posting a bunch of threads on this. BLoved - can you advise where this notice is posted?

Danigran
04-12-2010, 06:31 AM
Bloved - I heard about it also, it's posted in the dayrooms there. We, on the outside, could order note cards for them and they (inmates) could order their own greeting cards by paying from their inmate accounts. Those cards, whether it be notecards or greeting cards cannot have colored envelopes any longer. I called and verified in the mail room because I was going to order some notecards for my love.

Only white now...

But we can mail colored envelopes any without problem, of course we can mail letters on colored paper also. Well, that's according to the mail room.

BLoved
04-12-2010, 07:16 AM
Thanks for phoning to get the exact info Danigran. I was told of this in a letter.

Onaicult
04-12-2010, 08:01 AM
Bloved - I heard about it also, it's posted in the dayrooms there. We, on the outside, could order note cards for them and they (inmates) could order their own greeting cards by paying from their inmate accounts. Those cards, whether it be notecards or greeting cards cannot have colored envelopes any longer. I called and verified in the mail room because I was going to order some notecards for my love.

Only white now...

But we can mail colored envelopes any without problem, of course we can mail letters on colored paper also. Well, that's according to the mail room.

so this only applies to cards purchased in commissary and not cards sent in? Thanks for the clarification :)
This should not affect people sending in hallmark or greeting cards in colored envelopes.

BLoved
04-12-2010, 09:43 AM
so this only applies to cards purchased in commissary and not cards sent in? Thanks for the clarification :)
This should not affect people sending in hallmark or greeting cards in colored envelopes.
No, I understood this to mean that also cards they order from an outside vendor can not have coloured envelopes anymore.

ShoesHappen
04-12-2010, 09:46 AM
Yes, that is correct.
The inmates can receive mail in colored envelopes.
The inmates can not mail anything out in colored envelopes, regardless of how they obtained the envelopes, whether purchased in commissary or sent by an outside vendor.

(I can not believe the huge deal this almost 3 year old rule has caused ...)

Onaicult
04-12-2010, 10:01 AM
No, I understood this to mean that also cards they order from an outside vendor can not have coloured envelopes anymore.
But we can mail colored envelopes any without problem, of course we can mail letters on colored paper also. Well, that's according to the mail room.Please read above. Danigran has called the mail room and verified this isn't true. If you have spoken to someone in the mailroom who says it is true, can you please provide their name?

The ban on sending in blank colored envelopes or colored paper began in October 2007. There is currently no ban on sending in a card that has a stamped, addressed and used colored envelope. This rule that you're referring to, is for inmates sending OUT mail in colored envelopes.
If this rule were for the public, there would be public notices posted. Since the public notices posted are in the dayrooms on the unit, this refers to inmates sending out colored mail. I hope this helps clear up the confusion for you.

ShoesHappen
04-12-2010, 10:05 AM
Please read above. Danigran has called the mail room and verified this isn't true. If you have spoken to someone in the mailroom who says it is true, can you please provide their name?

Umm, sorry, but it is true. Inmates can not use any colored envelopes to send anything out, regardless of whether they were ordered from an outside vendor (Office Max, etc.). That was changed in 2007.

Onaicult
04-12-2010, 10:10 AM
Umm, sorry, but it is true. Inmates can not use any colored envelopes to send anything out, regardless of whether they were ordered from an outside vendor (Office Max, etc.). That was changed in 2007.

Yup, you're correct....

ShoesHappen
04-12-2010, 10:10 AM
Please read above. Danigran has called the mail room and verified this isn't true. If you have spoken to someone in the mailroom who says it is true, can you please provide their name?

The ban on sending in blank colored envelopes or colored paper began in October 2007. There is currently no ban on sending in a card that has a stamped, addressed and used colored envelope. This rule that you're referring to, is for inmates sending OUT mail in colored envelopes.
If this rule were for the public, there would be public notices posted. Since the public notices posted are in the dayrooms on the unit, this refers to inmates sending out colored mail. I hope this helps clear up the confusion for you.
Good edit!

Danigran
04-12-2010, 10:13 AM
The guys HAVE been able to have greeting cards AND note cards with colored envelopes prior. I JUST sent some note cards in about 3 months ago WITH colored envelopes for him to use. AND he has purchased greeting cards himself from leaningtree.com.
The colored paper rule went into effect a number of years ago but did NOT apply to card envelopes. NOW it does!

Onaicult
04-12-2010, 10:37 AM
The guys HAVE been able to have greeting cards AND note cards with colored envelopes prior. I JUST sent some note cards in about 3 months ago WITH colored envelopes for him to use. AND he has purchased greeting cards himself from leaningtree.com.
The colored paper rule went into effect a number of years ago but did NOT apply to card envelopes. NOW it does!

My understanding has been that since 2007, we have not been able to purchase for them and have sent, colored envelopes. I'm not aware on the policy if they purchased them themselves from vendors, but I thought it would have been the same.

I think the main confusion with these threads that were started is that people thought they could no longer write individual cards and address them w/ colored envelopes.

This is why I urge people to get facts and verify information before posting threads. :) Thank you for contacting the unit to verify, Danigran. :thumbsup:

Danigran
04-12-2010, 10:52 AM
My understanding has been that since 2007, we have not been able to purchase for them and have sent, colored envelopes. I'm not aware on the policy if they purchased them themselves from vendors, but I thought it would have been the same.

I think the main confusion with these threads that were started is that people thought they could no longer write individual cards and address them w/ colored envelopes.

This is why I urge people to get facts and verify information before posting threads. :) Thank you for contacting the unit to verify, Danigran. :thumbsup:

Not a problem! I could NEVER figure that one out. We couldn't send them colored envelopes to use for office supplies BUT when they ordered cards themselves or when we sent them note cards they COULD have the colored envelopes. I called the mail room way back then when it happened to clarify! The woman I spoke with agreed with me but said it was policy. Now of course they can't have them at all now, period... I'm happy we can still send stuff in with colored envelopes though... they need a tad bit of color in there!!!
Some of the policies make no sense that's why I have been calling and verifying before I do anything.

Onaicult
04-12-2010, 11:00 AM
Some of the policies make no sense that's why I have been calling and verifying before I do anything.

This is so true. lol.

Seems like they've circled around to correct that "loophole" they left in the first place. :rolleyes: