View Full Version : Erie County Holding Center

Manzanita
03-18-2005, 01:37 PM
Erie County Holding Center

Erie County Holding Center

40 Delaware Avenue

Buffalo, NY 14202

Visiting Hours:

Saturday –Wednesday (NONE on Thursday and Friday)

7:30-10:15 (one hour or one half hour visit)

12:30-2:15 (only one half hour visits)

You can visit 2 days per week and you get 2 hours. BUT no one visit can be longer than an hour. All one hour visits must be in the Morning—in the afternoon, you can only visit for one half hour. You must use your two hours within two days—you cannot spread them. Each visitor counts as a separate visit UNLESS you show up together. So two people can go together on a Saturday and stay an hour in the morning and it only counts as one hour. But you have to go in and leave together. Hope this is not too confusing.

Get there early: by 7:15 for morning or 12:15 for the afternoon—otherwise you will end up on the second shift—and have to wait while the first group has their visits. You line up at the bottom of the stairs outside—so dress appropriately—there is no cover. They will not open the doors until 7:30 in the morning and 12:30 in the afternoon. About 5 minutes before the doors open, a guard comes out and gives you a slip with a number on it. Only take one if you are two people going in together. They then let you in. Sit down until they call the number on your slip. Then go up to the desk. On the weekends, the guy is nice. If it is your first time, tell him. You show your ID—must be a license or other government PICTURE ID AND a current (within 45 days) bank statement, credit card bill or utility bill. If your picture ID and utility, credit card or bank paper do not match –you need two utility bills, bank or credit card statements. For children under 18—birth certificate—but I would double check this as it did not pertain to me and I didn’t listen too well.

You meet over a table with a divider. You sit facing your loved one. Hands on the table—they are a pain about this. You can have a brief kiss or hug or handshake at the end of the visit only. They do not seem to listen to the conversations too much.

Metal detector is not too bad—BUT watch your shoes. One lady had to go home and get sneakers—so just wear something with no metal.I do not bring my purse in—just a makeup bag. They will look through it. You put all hats, coats, books jewelry etc. in a locker before going in. You pass through another metal detector. They will check your hands and mouth. They make you roll up your sleeves. THEY HAVE A DRUG DOG THERE AT ALL TIMES. They sniff the lockers and then you. Be careful about your whereabouts the night before-2nd hand might get you thrown out.

Clothing Dropoff:

Monday-Friday

8-11:30 AM

12:30-5:30 PM

6:30-8 PM

Saturday and Sunday

8:00-11:30 AM

12:30-3 PM

You can bring 6 bras, 6 boxers/briefs, 6 t-shirts and 6 pairs of socks per week. All white and only white. You can bring religious or educational paperbacks. You drop them off at the front desk after you go through the metal detector.

Money dropoff:

Monday-Friday

12:30-2:15 PM

3:30-5:30 PM

6:30-8:30 PM

Sat and Sun

12:30-2:15 PM

The commissary days are Sunday and Wednesday. The inmate can spend a max of $30 per day. Mostly junk food and writing supplies.

This is a pod prison—you have a cell that opens to a pod area with a TV. Once they move to a block, they can go to the day room from 8-12 every day. They have games and cards there.